HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:08 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,208 Posts
Looks like another heading down under....
Wanda might be the cruising ground after seeing it done nicely in Wamberal.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:24 AM
Born again sloper
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
Joined Aug 2011
205 Posts
I used to fly at Wanda and the surrounding areas, the sand dunes back in the late 80's were great for soaring.. I'd say a much better place than Wamby... I have 2 Alulas just in case something happens to one of them

Enjoy!
ShaneH is offline Find More Posts by ShaneH
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:13 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,539 Posts
Michael,

Nice review, I have been looking at this one for a while but stopped because we are pretty flat in South Eastern Michigan! I wish Dreamworks had a power option worked out but looks to be easy to mod.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:48 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
The Alula IS a sailplane ;-)

Hi Guys,

A few years back modelers figured out that it was possible to catch thermals by simply throwing sailplanes

(gliders are airplanes that land with out motors, sailplanes are airplanes that some pilots can make go up with out a motor :-).

The Alula is a glider to some and a sailplane to those who work at it. I own one and love it on the slope as a test dummy to see if there's enough air for some thing that is not safe in marginal lift.

However I also fly the Alula on flat land while the winch is being set up or when time doesn't allow to put up my 4m F3J ships.

Its very rewarding to toss the Alula into a bit of lift then to work it up along side the serious DLGs.

If for no other reason than it looks sooo birdlike in the sky, you guys need to own one before they become unobtainium.

A seriously fun little ship.

Gordy
Cold in Kentucky
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:22 PM
So that's how you throw a DLG!
USA, NC, Sugar Grove
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
Mine should be at my door on Monday
rmmoorejr is offline Find More Posts by rmmoorejr
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:09 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
Great review. One of the most important points about construction of the Alula is balancing. The more accurately you balace it, the better it performs. I balance it by filling the dimples up about halfway with glue to make them hard on the bottom. I have a pair of points in boards on the bench and I start with the plane slightly tailheavy balanced in the dimple but behind the center of it. I add pieces of tape to the nose until it balances. Anywhere in the dimples is good, but slightly aft of the center is my preferred point. Also, a couple of carbon sticks imbedded in the sides of the nose with PU glue (under the bellypan) will provide added support for the nose making it quite a bit more durable.

Another note: don't be tempted to skip the step of taping the belly pan all the way around as instructed. The nose needs the strength provided by doing this.

The Alula is one of my favorite and most flown gliders. I agree with Gordy and have a small stash of extras ferreted away. I hope they don't become unobtanium.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
Great Thread Micheal Thanks!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:25 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
554 Posts
Happy to throw my Aluala around..

.. but an electric option would help.

There seems to be many options for electrifying an Alula. Is it possible that someone has a summary of how its been to make it possible to weigh alternative methods?

Sorry for the HighJack
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:25 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHO View Post
.. but an electric option would help.

There seems to be many options for electrifying an Alula. Is it possible that someone has a summary of how its been to make it possible to weigh alternative methods?

Sorry for the HighJack
Here is an electric motor mod that I've done... it's been working out quite well!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787896
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:32 PM View Post
uiyewiusdfo
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:54 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,208 Posts
It's always a good day until a shoe salesman pops up.
Alphabet soup, why don't you stop being a gopher, this is not a junk sale thread.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
watching and learning...thanks..
sloper10 is offline Find More Posts by sloper10
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:17 PM
So that's how you throw a DLG!
USA, NC, Sugar Grove
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
mine arrived on Monday. Should have it up and flying by Friday. (working long hours is cutting into my flying and building time) I just cant decide if I should paint it up fancy,or just fly this one and order another.
rmmoorejr is offline Find More Posts by rmmoorejr
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:37 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,751 Posts
subscribed.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:38 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,147 Posts
Me and my firend just bought our Alulas and after I finish my spook E plane I'll start working on my Alula. I never did any SLG before but I have watched DLGs(so what's the differance between the SLG &DLG)flying and got the bug to try it.There's a RC glider club CASA in Maryland that I go to once in awhile and I heard there's a following of Alulas and other DLGs so when I get mine up and going I'll definately go there to have some fun with them. Good article here and great reviews and fantastic videos all which are a great help and inspiration to me. Good job Dreamflight. Look forward to getting mine flying and show some videos .
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER