HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Registered User
Rhondas's Avatar
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
Discussion
painting covering using edge lock tape

I m painting over monokote film covering with Krylon fusion paint for plastic, and I'm trying the new blue 3m edge lock masking tape , my question is to give the plane 2 coats of paint I have to let the first coat dry 1 day , so has anyone ever used this new masking edge lock 3m tape, I thought it would be better than the old white masking tape so the edge don't bleed into the tape . any advice to this would help me .
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Last edited by Rhondas; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: wrong paint named
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,712 Posts
For masking, 3M fine line tape, provides the sharpest lines that I have seen. It's available from automotive supply houses.

As I understand it, the edge lock tape works with the water in latex paint. Does you paint contain water ?

I thought Fusion was made by Krylon. I looked up an mds sheet, and I didn't see any water.

My conclusion would be that edge lock tape would not be suitable. Others may have differing opinions.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Registered User
Rhondas's Avatar
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
painting with edgelock tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
For masking, 3M fine line tape, provides the sharpest lines that I have seen. It's available from automotive supply houses.

As I understand it, the edge lock tape works with the water in latex paint. Does you paint contain water ?

I thought Fusion was made by Krylon. I looked up an mds sheet, and I didn't see any water. this photo is the model I have but not my plane.

My conclusion would be that edge lock tape would not be suitable. Others may have differing opinions.
You are 100% right ,[my mistake] the paint is made by Krylon for plastic and vinyl. and I checked out the edge lock 3m tape and they claim that its OK to use as long as the paint inst Lacquer. but I have the plane all masked off and ready ,so Ill try the parts I have done and if I should have pull off problems Ill search for the fine line like you mentioned .thanks
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Last edited by Rhondas; Dec 06, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Registered User
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
566 Posts
Wow, it looks like that worked out pretty well! I was going to suggest you wet a piece of paper towel and wipe the tape edges to activate the edge-lock adhesive. I don't see that you had any problems. Nice looking plane.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
Registered User
Rhondas's Avatar
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluIIs View Post
Wow, it looks like that worked out pretty well! I was going to suggest you wet a piece of paper towel and wipe the tape edges to activate the edge-lock adhesive. I don't see that you had any problems. Nice looking plane.
this little tip you mentioned WHEN SHOULD THE EDGE LOCK BE Whetted , right after putting it before you paint on or after the paint dries?
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
Registered User
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
566 Posts
My thought was to wet the tape edges after tape application but before painting. Mind, I have not tried this myself.
Since the tape adhesive is designed to expand (to fill under-tape-edge gaps) on contact with water (in latex paint), I figure the damp paper towel would trigger the reaction sealing the tape before you spray your non-latex paint.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,712 Posts
How long do you wait for the wetted tape to dry ? Water and oil based paints don't do well together.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
Registered User
Rhondas's Avatar
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluIIs View Post
My thought was to wet the tape edges after tape application but before painting. Mind, I have not tried this myself.
Since the tape adhesive is designed to expand (to fill under-tape-edge gaps) on contact with water (in latex paint), I figure the damp paper towel would trigger the reaction sealing the tape before you spray your non-latex paint.
well I have had good luck so far without wetting the tape ,
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
566 Posts
Yes, I see that. Nice looking plane.

Tom, wait as long as you are comfortable with. I'd follow wetting with a dry wipe if I were in a hurry, and I usually am.

Again, fellas, I have not tried this trick myself.
But I have masked (older non-EdgeLock) over color #1, sprayed or brushed color #1 along the masked edges, waited for that to dry, then sprayed or brushed color #2. In that case I was hoping the extra color #1 would seal the tape edges.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
Registered User
jhaywood's Avatar
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,078 Posts
If all else fails and you get some bleed, put some automotive striping tape over the color-change seam. For instance, if you have purple trim over white base, use sky blue or even apple green 1/8" striping tape to hide the ugly tape line.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
Rhondas's Avatar
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
paint line covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
If all else fails and you get some bleed, put some automotive striping tape over the color-change seam. For instance, if you have purple trim over white base, use sky blue or even apple green 1/8" striping tape to hide the ugly tape line.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
this is a good idea ,I tried to use a thin paint brush and goes over the bleed marks from the tape and its very hard and you need a steady hand , I succeeded with multiply try's and finally let it go , I f I had thought about tht car pin strip tape that's the why I would have went , what I was able to achieve was the decals to cove most of the paint mistakes. Thanks
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Foam coverings: Paint vs tape vs Duct tape? flylikeabrick Foamies (Kits) 14 Dec 05, 2012 05:25 AM
Discussion 48" Delta FFF covered with Cellophane and tape propjobbill Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Jun 04, 2012 02:09 PM
Discussion Alternative to packing tape covering jimmycashley Flying Wings 1 Mar 29, 2012 08:48 PM
Question How to use carbon fibre tape to reinforce wing trailing edge? arukum17 The Builders Workshop 5 Apr 24, 2006 06:19 AM
Paint , Tape, or covering bigbookfrank Parkflyers 3 Apr 02, 2004 02:19 AM