HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
Question
motor or esc

i have the easy trainer 800 from BH, on my last flight i noticed the motor was making a weird sound, i thought it was probably me just being anal but it seemed sluggish when I launched it. brought it back down to have a look and when i tried to test the throttle again the motor would not spin up. it just sputtered there a few times like it was jamming up, then it would brake lose and spin a bit. after test the other controls it finally seem to brake free and run up but every time you close the throttle it jams up again. any ideas what the problem is? its a new plane with only 3 flights and no crashes other then the normal belly landing. no impacts.
solodare is offline Find More Posts by solodare
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
It might be bad soldering joints on your connectors. Or a loose magnet. Can you spin the motor by hand freely or does it grind when the motor isn't plugged into the ESC?
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,890 Posts
does the motor make a noise? you mention sputtering.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
acetech,
You can spin it by hand, and it doesnt seem to be grinding.
What did you mean about "not plugged in to the esc? is it bad to spin it with it still plugged in?

cmdl, sputtering as in power more then noise. but it did sound a little weird at first but this is one of my first outrunners so i dont know if its normal noise or not.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,890 Posts
can you run it without the prop? does it run fine then or still the same issue?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
every time i have had a motor sputter as in it is trying to turn but stops jerks ect,it has been the esc going out or gone out.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
cmdl,fastfwd
It seems to have corrected its self for the time being.
Can i expect the esc to just die one day? what am i looking at here? motor sounds a little "scratchy" from time to time. I mean to say , under power, you can hear an anomalistic sound scratchy in nature and totally random.

For 80 bucks I guess i should just fly it till the wings fall off!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
if the esc gives out when you're in the air, they certainly will fall off! If you have a spare esc or can get one from someone else, plug that one up and see if the problem is replicated with one you know is good. If so, we can try something else.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641