HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by tbroeski, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Tom, I got my kit and it's all good but I do have a question. I mixed a wee bit up on some wax paper to get an idea for the expansion rate. It expanded quite nicely but after about an hour I went to actually handle it and when I pushed on it with slight pressure it basically turned into powder. Is this what it does normally or did I do something wrong? I may not be able to use it for my particular repair if so but it's still pretty cool stuff and I'm sure i'll find a use for it somewhere. Thanks
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
Trader Rating: 122
Yes that is the nature of the beast, it turns to dust. In my case though it allowed me to get the wing back in good enough condition that I could put some cloth on the top and bottom to provide the real strength to the repair. My center section took multiple insertions of the mix. The tip I'll finish with only 2. Also, I didn't use the pipettes he grasciously supplied, I just poured it from the cup. Tomorrow I'll have photos of what I've got and I'm very happy with the results.
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:01 PM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
I'm going to modify the mix and see what happens. Equal parts A, B, and GG. So far the expansion looks good but I'll have to wait till tomorrow for the GG part to kick. So far so good.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:13 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Trader Rating: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmaster911 View Post
Tom, I got my kit and it's all good but I do have a question. I mixed a wee bit up on some wax paper to get an idea for the expansion rate. It expanded quite nicely but after about an hour I went to actually handle it and when I pushed on it with slight pressure it basically turned into powder. Is this what it does normally or did I do something wrong? I may not be able to use it for my particular repair if so but it's still pretty cool stuff and I'm sure i'll find a use for it somewhere. Thanks
it should have a hard surface, but it is so light, that there's not much to it when not contained. Put it in something and you can hit it with a hammer and barely dent it. I hit my test one about 20 times with a heavy hammer. I also burned it, and it is flamable, but not extremely so.

hamer foam (0 min 11 sec)
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
It really likes the GG part of the mix as well. Solid but still slightly pliable.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Trader Rating: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmaster911 View Post
It really likes the GG part of the mix as well. Solid but still slightly pliable.
GG is great and is more like 8lb density. Good for any small repairs and has a much longer working time. Wax up some plastic and put some of each between two pieces and let it expand. Set a light weight on it. You will see how nice of a finish it can have.
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Closed Thread