HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SuperBarlow, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
441 Posts
Question
The Secret to RC?

I have been in RC since may, when I bought a Hawk Sky (Multiplex Easystar clone). I love that plane, and it has opened up a door to something that I had never knew about before- The huge world of Remote Control.

Since, I have bought hundreds of dollars of components, planes, and electronics. Unfortunately, despite my full attention and as much free time as I have to work on the hobby, almost all of my parts, pieces and planes are sitting on my workbench, staring at me with defiance over all of the trouble that they have caused me. Not many of the planes and parts that I've bought and had to Jerry-rig together have worked. At the moment, the only plane that is flyable, despite everything, is my Hawk Sky.

What I'm wondering is if there is a big secret to buying and/or building that I am missing?
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Since, I have bought hundreds of dollars of components, planes, and electronics. Unfortunately, despite my full attention and as much free time as I have to work on the hobby, almost all of my parts, pieces and planes are sitting on my workbench, staring at me with defiance over all of the trouble that they have caused me. Not many of the planes and parts that I've bought and had to Jerry-rig together have worked.

What I'm wondering is if there is a big secret to buying and/or building that I am missing?
No secrets at all. Building is completely different then assembling. In general terms, a box of sticks/foam/etc. (referred to as kits) is building, wherein an ARF is more of an assembly.

Most, if not all, vendors of kits or ARF's have already done the work and spec what components are required in order to complete a given project. If an individual is new to RC, I would advise they follow the mfgs. recommendations until they become more proficient and comfortable with modifying the project. When no mfg. specs are there, then some searching through RC sites is the best solution to see what or if someone else did for a given design. There's a huge chance someone else has already put your given project together and described the components that worked.

Newcomers to the hobby, in my opinion, should concentrate on one project at a time. Complete the project and learn from it. It will take time. Successful completion leads to satisfaction and satisfaction leads to enjoyment. Even unsuccessful projects have something to teach. Kind of like touching a hot stove. One learns not to do that again.

In all honesty, I don't know many RC pilots that stick with a given set of instructions from the mfg. They're seemingly modifying something. But the ones I know that modify things have a lot of experience behind them and are more then capable of making informed decisions that will conclude with success. Not always, but more often then not. FWIW: Jerry-rigging anything often leads to disaster which leads to frustration.

Try stepping back and concentrating on a single project. Once it's completed and you've successfully maidened it, I believe you'll feel the enjoyment and satisfaction so many here have enjoyed.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:54 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
I'm 12 planes in 3 planes flyable =) After a year and a half. Now i'm concentrating on learning to fly better rather than buy new planes =)
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member