HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,081 Posts
Discussion
Recommendations for Mini Truggy / Buggy ?

Hi Guys

I am looking for a mini 1/18th - 1/14th mini Brushless Truggy or Buggy for some off road Bashing.

I will be running mainly on hard packed sand but would like the car to be a good all rounder on most surfaces.

Cars i have considered so far are as follows
1/14th Losi Mini 8ight
1/16th E-Revo
1/18th RC18T2 / B2
1/16th Turnigy Buggy

I am looking for something that is tough and will run on 2s Lipo
all of the above suite me i think

Can you guys recommend one over the other or give me pros and cons of each?
Or recommend something else?

I dont want to go any bigger than 1/14th and no smaller than 1/18th

Any feedback would be most welcome

Many thanks

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
get the mini 8ight and put a truggy body on it and rpm arms and upgrade the shocks i have one i built and its great i also have a mini revo/summit that i built and i prefer to drive the mini 8ight because its so light and quick and nimble and you can easily big bore modify it
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,081 Posts
Thanks for the response

I'm surprised there is so little traffic in the car forum

I am pretty keen on the E-Revo at the moment but havnt made up my mind yet

cheers
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:43 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
mini revo's are fun to play with, but they like to wheelie, flip and roll if you like driving fast at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
476 Posts
Out of those listed I'll get the mini 8ight..

I do have the turnigy buggy, it's good bang for the buck, but quality isn't the best to say the least. Stock setup on 2S is pretty fast and fun, but open gears is a concern if you are going to run on sand.

RC18B2/T2 is alright, protected belt driven drive train and all, but with a little research and you'll find some worrying reviews regarding its' belt being too tight and has a tendancy to rub on the pinion, plus the diff housing and steering crank has a lot of play, if they come up with ways to solve all of these it should be a solid car.

The mini e-revo... well it's just personal preference but I find the body ugly as sin

There's also a new 1/14th buggy coming out mid December called the LC EMB-1, shaft driven 4WD with enclosed drivetrain, don't have a price listed yet though.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,081 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys

I have been looking at the 1/16th Summit as well
this maybe a good choice for my driving conditions.
I will be using it mainly in the local desert which is hard packed sand with rocks not soft sand dunes.

The Mini 8ight looks good and price is better but i'm worried about the ground clearance.

What else is there for me to consider?

Cheers

Ben