HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:46 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Agreed - and pretty much no-one gets points without someone's sensitive skin being prickled..

The fault isn't the mods (although they quite often react over sensitively to me), but that numbers seem to think reporting is part of the game of 'scoring over the other guy'.

My opinion...
There is no way to know that.

Specifically, a point can be earned, without ANYONE having their skin prickled. ALL it takes is someone recognizing that a post may break a rule, and following the wishes of the site owner, and report such post.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:47 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
422 Posts
ET must be banned or he would be posting here.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
exactly. Getting a point is not a major screw up even if it does break the rules as interpreted by the mods on this forum. It's usually a result of someone getting their feeling hurt on an internet forum and then telling on them.

I would consider a terrible screw up as something that results in an instant ban. Not a tit-for-tat single point for what could be a questionable "personal attack".

However, please feel free to continue reporting anything/everything that I post which you consider breaks the rules. If it breaks the rules, I'll edit it.
That is not knowable. Without knowing who reports a post, whether someone got their feelings hurt or not, is an unknown. You might believe it, but you do not know it.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
ET must be banned or he would be posting here.
No.

He can have enough active points to prevent posting in LTUP.

He can have chosen to cease posting for his own reasons.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Oh I understand the intent, but I provided the link.... so I don't see what the harm was. Anyway I took the point and didn't argue, just thought I'd mention it here to see if that's happened to anyone else. I could understand if I didn't provide the link....
It is easy to understand, even if you provide a link. It is usually permissable to post a 'fair-use excerpt' of an article you link to, but it is typically NOT EVER okay to post the entire article, whether you provide a link or not.

Best method is to check for the actual copyright statements of the article owner before posting any content from another site.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
what's laughable is that someone reported you to the mods over that. I know rules are rules. But someone feels like he/she is the LTUP czar.
The danger in your view is that THIS site can be sued for that content if it is not removed.

It isn't laughable to help keep copyright infringement in check.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
No.

He can have enough active points to prevent posting in LTUP.

He can have chosen to cease posting for his own reasons.
Well, I hope he comes back, like him or not he is a part of LTUP.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
Ironic isn't it? Some exist just to report and mostly report post that dont break rules then they get offended when someone does it back.
How have you determined that?

1) Unless someone gets a 3-pointer, you have no idea who reports what.

2) Without knowing that, you have no way of knowing if someone gets offended for the reverse.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Yes. The frivolous reporting here is out of control. Take some responsibility if you are going to report someone.

Thank god. It's become out if control. I know some people were hurt recently by my saying they had no idea what they were talking about and I'm sure it was reported. But haven't got a violation to edit it yet. Must be infuriating by some of the self appointed LTUP Conservative Czars here.
Huh? What reporting do you feel is frivolous?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
That doesn't change anything. Im saying of course its your responsibility to determine if a post breaks the rules before you report it. Why would you report posts if they dont break rules?
Quote:
That doesn't change anything. Im saying of course its your responsibility to determine if a post breaks the rules before you report it. Why would you report posts if they dont break rules?
The post reporter may believe a post breaks a rule, but the post reporter may not know that a post breaks a rule. There IS a clear distinction there, and it is the call of the moderator as to whether a reported post is warned or not.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:
It is easy to understand, even if you provide a link. It is usually permissable to post a 'fair-use excerpt' of an article you link to, but it is typically NOT EVER okay to post the entire article, whether you provide a link or not.

Best method is to check for the actual copyright statements of the article owner before posting any content from another site.
I don't see how they could sue. They don't charge for the information I copy-pasted, so by my reproducing it and providing a link to the original source, I am not causing them financial harm. What damages have been incurred? If anything I am publicizing their work, and making them more well known. If anything I should be reimbursed for providing an advertisement service.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:12 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
I don't see how they could sue. They don't charge for the information I copy-pasted, so by my reproducing it and providing a link to the original source, I am not causing them financial harm. What damages have been incurred? If anything I am publicizing their work, and making them more well known. If anything I should be reimbursed for providing an advertisement service.
It doesn't work that way.

Just as an example, they don't charge you for watching broadcast TV, but if you copy a video without permission, then they can sue you.

And they can then sue you for damage to future anticipated revenue.

And win.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
There is no way to know that.

Specifically, a point can be earned, without ANYONE having their skin prickled. ALL it takes is someone recognizing that a post may break a rule, and following the wishes of the site owner, and report such post.
Of course - but it's still 'my opinion'...

And as I've also said - it's pretty difficult to do anything without someone deciding to interpret it such that a rule has been broken (see it's always in the intepretation)!
Fer gawd sakes - I've often had people tell me what I meant with what I said in an append - as if I don't talk to myself to check..
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
It's fairly straight forward, Norman. If a poster says, "you are a....." or similar, attacking the person instead of the post content, then one is vulnerable.

If one is careful to only contend with the post content, avoiding aspersions about the poster, then one is safe even if frivolously reported.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
It's fairly straight forward, Norman. If a poster says, "you are a....." or similar, attacking the person instead of the post content, then one is vulnerable.

If one is careful to only contend with the post content, avoiding aspersions about the poster, then one is safe even if frivolously reported.
Too simplistic, madsci! Especially for the 'trolling' complaint - where you get a point for trying to 'elicit an emotional response'!

Is there ever a point in putting up an append that never elicits a response?

And as an example of people deciding what I mean - and telling me that I'm wrong when I explain to them. I used the phrase "Wind-up Merchant" on someone. Now a wind-up merchant is somebody who stirs up trouble, just because they can (a troll? ). But oh no, someone tells me that I've accused them of lying - and that my explanation was itself a lie!
(Of course I have no idea what I mean, do I.. )

See what I mean?

Always down to the interpretation - and those wishing to interpret something in a defamatory manner will do so, whatever the truth! (Look for an insult and, by golly, you are sure to find one - whereas a more mature person wouldn't expect to go looking! )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam