HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which is better new or old?
Galactica classic rulez..."By your command..." 14 31.82%
The new one is better, or at least the girls are. 20 45.45%
Can't decide they are both sooooo good. 3 6.82%
Rather have a sharp stick in the eye. 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 11, 2003, 03:55 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
POLL: Battlestar Galactica, new or old?

Which did you like better?
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jan 13, 2005, 06:30 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Nov 2002
465 Posts
I think they are too different to make any meaningful comparisons. The old BSG pilot was a huge theatrical production with a huge budget, big music scores, battle scenes, costumes, locations, ... that the new one doesn't seem to come close to. I mean they're wearing regular shirts/ties, you don't see the fleet getting wiped out, or cylons attacking the home worlds, just a bunch of mushroom clouds (not even those do much damage- The new Baltar walks away without even a scratch after one detonates near his house).
And nobody seems particularly upset they lost the war like in the original. The new series seems to rely on star trek gimmicks. I simulated a nuclear explosion using these onboard plasma coils...

The new Apollo seems very timid. And he seems uncomfortable in a viper.

I like the new Starbuck. You can tell she is trying to imitate Dirk Benedict with the cigar and all and she does it well. I liked the new Baltar's character, weasly and psychotic but the old Baltar was GREAT.

I like how they did the CGI and also improved the physics of flying vipers and raiders in space. How they can just spin around without having to turn and bank like they were in an atmosphere. A lot of the battle scenes with raiders firing missiles everywhere reminded me of the Star Blazers battles.

It would have been a riot to see at least a couple of the stock BSG viper/raider battle shots redone in CGI in this pilot (just for old times sake).

Cylons as people cost a lot less than centurions I guess. It doesn't sound very convincing when they say 'By your command' like the old centurions. Why are they so emotional? Also, cylons who don't even know they are cylons? I like the pilotless cylon raiders but that means the colonials won't be able to hijack em or use em to fly to a base star to blow it up.

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:50 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I'll take whatever high end SciFi I can get.

I have the original series on DVD, and after watching it again, it is pure cheese. And sorry FFFlier, but according to Producer Glen Larson, even though the first episodes were the first TV dramas to go over $1,000,000 each, the network started cheaping out and soon all the exterior Fleet shots were recycles, and the show hardly ever filmed at expensive locations.

It's kind of like comparing "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" to "Das Boot".

Luckily, we don't have to choose, because we have both.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:58 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I like the new one the way I like TNG more than the original Star Trek. It's more sophisticated (both in terms of effects and scriptwriting). The original was fun, and I spent many days in school daydreaming about piloting my viper among the stars. The new one, however, is more polished, more "real" in the sense that things look more, well, believable. I especially liked the new vs. old vipers. I also like the cylon spaceships - why would robots need a 3-robot saucer? Of course, the, um, software of some of the new cylon models also has its appeal....
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:42 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Nov 2002
465 Posts
Since I've only seen the pilot of the new BSG, that's what I'm comparing to the original BSG pilot. I haven't seen any other episodes of the first season yet.

bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:46 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Sci-Fi Friday: gotta love it! Andromeda, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and BSG. A geek's paradise. Pass the popcorn and the remote, please!

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:20 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
The old one brings nostalgia ... I mean .... I can still remember those days of playing Battlestar and fighting over who gets to be Starbuck.

The new series is awesome ... it's grittier and darker ... I like it! Man ... thursdays is all night MXC and Fridays is SciFi to the hilt ... why does anyone need network TV anymore?

Logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:11 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFlier
Since I've only seen the pilot of the new BSG, that's what I'm comparing to the original BSG pilot. I haven't seen any other episodes of the first season yet.

bill
That is because the first episode is TONIGHT!

Got the ATI AIW digital VCR all hooked up and (hopefully) ready to record while I'm at work, can't wait to get home and watch.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:44 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Well, I liked both episodes tonight. Great CGI, complex characters, and everything SNAFU.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 05:34 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Well the ole AIW did the job so I stayed up late and checked out the new show. It was great! In spite of the horrible situation that the survivors were in the original series never really conveyed a true sense of desperation. It was a little too cute and corny. Don't get me wrong, the original series was good considering how long ago it was done but the new one is awesome (IMO). Clearly some disagree judgeing from the poll results. Please explain why you like the old one better?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:22 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
It's not so much that I like the old one better, it's how drastic some of the changes were and little they cared core stories and characters. One example is in the old series they were looking for the lost 13th tribe of cobold and eventualy discovered that they went to a planet called earth. In the new show they go strait looking for earth.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Jan 16, 2005, 04:12 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I like the new series, but to me it's a bit of a stretch that the Cylons created a humaniform model with an extreme appetite for....ummmmm, human mating rituals. That almost seems to me to be a central theme of the show.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 16, 2005, 07:03 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley
I like the new series, but to me it's a bit of a stretch that the Cylons created a humaniform model with an extreme appetite for....ummmmm, human mating rituals. That almost seems to me to be a central theme of the show.

Tony Turley
Besides the obvious "Babewatch" reasons for making the show hotter, the best way to get rid of a pest is to get it by the shorties. Those pheromone pest traps work great. Ever go deer hunting? What scent do dear hunters use? Number 6 is just really hot Raid.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 08:57 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley
I like the new series, but to me it's a bit of a stretch that the Cylons created a humaniform model with an extreme appetite for....ummmmm, human mating rituals.
Tony Turley

Well, that would certainly be the first type of Robot that I'd invent...I'd even put in that convenient nightlight spine thingy that the cylon humaniforms have.

Seriously though, it's kind of an interesting mind game to try and figure out the first "Cylons" models that the humans in the show created. Was it a soldier, or a butler or?

Is the little droid that vaccums some of our floors or mows our lawns the first "Cylon" that our species has created? Will future intelligent robots (The number of simultaneous calculations that computers are capable of will exceed the human brain's capacity sometime in the next twenty-forty years) look back at the semi-autonomous machines that we are designing now as their first "Ancestor"?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:56 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Thanks for offering Option 4.
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO