HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I think that used to be the case, but not such an issue these days. putting a lower Kv motor in can't hurt either. I would search out tried and true combos that will work for you. for example, you could get a lower Kv motor that's meant to be run on 8S and run it on 6S.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
subbed. you could always run bigger fans on less cells. for example, run them on 5S instead of 6S, or stick to 6S and run around at half throttle and get longer flight times.

I would not recommend putting larger fans in front that freewheel in the breeze. this will add all kinds of unwanted vortices into the driving fans and will severely diminish their performance. I would go with larger fans right from the get go and run them either way I suggested above. the 12 blade fans from Hobby King (or other sources) will be good for an A-10, since they look the part, sound the part and you don't need fighter-like performance. i think that's the way to go.

Rich

I wasn't too sure how much a freewheeling EDF fan would diminish the performance. But, maybe I should just up the fan size to 90mm and keep it simple.

Here are some updated progress screenshots. Decided to get rid of using depron on the curved areas and just stick with balsa. Got the remainder of the fuse formers started and began making pylons. I'm holding off on the canopy and cockpit for later as I am gathering info and working on some sketches.

I've decided to take a shot at pianowire/nyrod/tube hinges for the control surfaces. I figure it would give it some scale detail and also allow for easier removal for repair or maintenance.

I have the nose gear squared away but I am having some issues with the main gear. I have to use retracts that are <90 degrees in order to keep the right geometry and to have it look correct.

Anyone know of retracts that either have modifiable endpoint adjustment, or only extend between 70-80 degrees?
Dirty Dee is online now Find More Posts by Dirty Dee
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:52 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,094 Posts
I dont know of any way that you can adjust the pots, they are on the PCB.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Warbird.html

if you need a bigger set.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._20_class.html
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
simple is most often the best solution. or does that mean I'm lazy!? hmmmmmm. LOL.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,849 Posts
Try some mechanical retracts or you could buy the Robart 80° retracts (cant post a link because i'm on my smartphone but i may post it when im back on my pc)

K
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
554 Posts
Almost complete with the framework for the cockpit. Void spaces will be filled with foam and sanded to shape, or planked with balsa.

Does anyone know of some good threads or links for sizing the wing joiner/spar for removable wings? I'm not sure how far into the wing it has to go. Right now it is a little less than 3" to the 3rd rib. I figure it needs to extend to at least the next one down (~5" in), or 2 even (~7").
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:58 AM
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
Look at 2 liter soda bottles for your Engine Nacelles. On my Twin 70mm Scratchbuilt design I found that the diameter of the 2 liter bottles were almost exact.
Peacemakr40 is offline Find More Posts by Peacemakr40
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:52 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I've even seen Mayonnaise jars and other types of jars used for nacelles. a bit thicker and more robust than soda bottles.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2011
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
Look at 2 liter soda bottles for your Engine Nacelles. On my Twin 70mm Scratchbuilt design I found that the diameter of the 2 liter bottles were almost exact.
Not sure if I scaled it right, but the shape is very close
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
Plans are comming right along, looks great. Just a thought you may want to take a look at the thrust angle. On the scale A10 the nacelles have an upward deflection, they have a curved exhaust nozzle to compensate for that. With the EDF I would suggest that you mount the nacelles so you have a zero degree thrust line. Otherwise I believe you will have trim issues. I know that the EDF A10s Iv seen and the one I built have the thrust line at zero and they fly great. Just food for thought.
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Plans are comming right along, looks great. Just a thought you may want to take a look at the thrust angle. On the scale A10 the nacelles have an upward deflection, they have a curved exhaust nozzle to compensate for that. With the EDF I would suggest that you mount the nacelles so you have a zero degree thrust line. Otherwise I believe you will have trim issues. I know that the EDF A10s Iv seen and the one I built have the thrust line at zero and they fly great. Just food for thought.
Thanks. I already made note of those features and they are built into the design. I am also including a smaller nozzle within the exhaust of the nacelles to help with the thrust angle. I'm going to see if I can make it in a way that I can adjust the thrust angle to see what gives the best flight characteristics.

Here are some figures I am using (all are with reference with the horizon):
Elevator: -7.5 degrees
Wing: -1.0 degree (no washout)
Nacelle: +3.74 degrees
Primary Exhaust Thrust angle: +3.74 degrees
Inner Nozzle Thrust Angle: +4.55 Degrees (taken from the drawing I posted earlier in the thread)
Last edited by Dirty Dee; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
554 Posts
So, I've been going back to the base model and making some tweaks and adding some additional detail.

The nacelles seemed to be a bit too big, so I shrunk them down a bit. I also modified the main gear wheel pods, and other details like the flaps and control surfaces. The wingtips didn't look right so I played with it a bit more and I think I got it down now. Ailerons were modified to look more scale, and just need a bit more work to include the hinges and decelerons. Lastly, the canopy was tweaked a bit.

I also threw in some EDFs to get an idea of how it will look with the CS 90mm fans.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Very cool! I love A-10s. Let me know if I can help you out with any laser cutting.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
I'll buy you lunch if you share those plans/autocad stuff

Subscribed...

I am new to the hobby, but this is my goal to accomplish in a few years.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:15 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,849 Posts
the Nacelles still look a bit big to me...
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith