HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
I fitted the 1/5 insert into this tyre only slightly trimming the inside edge on the side that has the outside taper. I figured I'd try it like this without cutting any more off as the other edge sort of naturally tapers due to only being half thickness. Now it's in the tyre it feels somewhere between the std insert and my softer one with definitely less felling of bounce than the std one. Feels even more promising. As long as it doesn't twist around inside the tyre you could be onto something TJ. I'll do some real testing this weekend probably. How'd your run go today mate, hope all went well?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...ach&p=23515319
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:15 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
I fitted the 1/5 insert into this tyre only slightly trimming the inside edge on the side that has the outside taper. I figured I'd try it like this without cutting any more off as the other edge sort of naturally tapers due to only being half thickness. Now it's in the tyre it feels somewhere between the std insert and my softer one with definitely less felling of bounce than the std one. Feels even more promising. As long as it doesn't twist around inside the tyre you could be onto something TJ. I'll do some real testing this weekend probably. How'd your run go today mate, hope all went well?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...ach&p=23515319
Cool mate, it be interesting to see how it goes, today was ok for me but no so great for my mate we were not there long & his pinion came loose & the little time he was running he lost his rubber spur cover as well just one of those day's but i fixed it up & we are going to go out again tomorrow.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Cool mate, it be interesting to see how it goes, today was ok for me but no so great for my mate we were not there long & his pinion came loose & the little time he was running he lost his rubber spur cover as well just one of those day's but i fixed it up & we are going to go out again tomorrow.
Bugger sorry your mate had some dramas. Sometimes a drop of green locktite like super retaining compound before pushing the pinion on will stop it coming loose. I should have mentioned gluing part of the gear cover in to stop it coming out. I found my MMs cover is stiffer and stays in place better than the VMXs softer one. I haven't glued mine and I have lost one but probably when I was bush bashing lol. I guess it's just one of those things. Maybe glue the next one or get a Alleven trick one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Bugger sorry your mate had some dramas. Sometimes a drop of green locktite like super retaining compound before pushing the pinion on will stop it coming loose. I should have mentioned gluing part of the gear cover in to stop it coming out. I found my MMs cover is stiffer and stays in place better than the VMXs softer one. I haven't glued mine and I have lost one but probably when I was bush bashing lol. I guess it's just one of those things. Maybe glue the next one or get a Alleven trick one.
My cover has a piece of fishing line attached to the pipe & the rubber cap so when it falls off it just hangs there it was like that when i got it, my mates mm seemed tighter as well so i did not do the line thing & it popped out but i made him a new one out of a floor plug for a car all i had to do was trim the flange inside so it did not hit the spur & heat the middle & push it out to clear the shaft it fits very tight & won't fall out now it is better than the original.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
My cover has a piece of fishing line attached to the pipe & the rubber cap so when it falls off it just hangs there it was like that when i got it, my mates mm seemed tighter as well so i did not do the line thing & it popped out but i made him a new one out of a floor plug for a car all i had to do was trim the flange inside so it did not hit the spur & heat the middle & push it out to clear the shaft it fits very tight & won't fall out now it is better than the original.
The MM one are a harder rubber but sounds like you've made up something that'll work well . I took my MM to show a mate today and he was very impressed. He got a slow mo vid on his new phone that looked cool of the bike jumping a big dirt mound. The vid on his new phone looked almost as good as yours TJ, amazing technology. He tried to send it to you tube but haven't seen it yet. I'll put it up when it turns up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure it will work really well, especially on the dirt. I was wondering about monster trucks or 1/5 trucks or buggies inserts. Good to know they are about the right size. While waiting for my other foams to turn up I made up one out of a set of old truggy inserts. These wont need the front tyre as an outer as they are nice and thick. I'll see how this one goes.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
The 1/5 inserts didnt work out by themselves as within a few laps the rear tyre and insert had worked its way to one side badly. I've since chopped them down and fitted them inside my front tyre inside a rear to try although it seems to make the tyre a little too rounded maybe. Haven't tested yet.
I ran the Truggy insert on the grass and dirt patch where the dog video was taken and feels like upgrading from Vinnie to Deegan in stability. Less wobble to the point of really none unless you be too aggressive. Really good on the rough grass padock and ,could be pushed extremely hard with minimal tyre deflection or roll noticeable making the bike extremely stable. Still good on the loose gravel doing slides also. This is the best the bike has felt so far. Just gets better and better. One other thing is I've almost worn out the tyre and the insert has felt little in the way of deterioration. This is key for racing to find an insert that doesn't change over the days running. Cause if you have say four races by the time the final comes around the std rear insert has already started to deteriorate and feel different to the first few runs. Not ideal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Here's some vid of the truggy inserts.
ATOMIK BRIAN DEEGAN METAL MULISHA MM450 (1 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:00 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,740 Posts
So is this some truggy insert + the front tire over it inside rear wheel, or just the foam? And if it is just the foam, is it same/better than the stadium foam + front tire combo you used to like?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:21 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
:d:d:d
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:07 AM.