HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:02 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Well i couldnt really get on the throttle with mech gyro.Now that i can use the throttle without the tank slapping,it has too much traction.I run on dirt/short grass mix.I amy trim a little more off.I want the tire to break loose and i can adjust it from there

I also have been running 3s once in a while.This thing is a total animal on 3s.Have you tried it yet ?,it's fun.Reminds me of a kx 500

P.S. Chris,did you post your rear shock setup here,if so what page,i couldnt find it.I am thinking of getting this shock
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXZXU6&P=K
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:31 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
Well i couldnt really get on the throttle with mech gyro.Now that i can use the throttle without the tank slapping,it has too much traction.I run on dirt/short grass mix.I amy trim a little more off.I want the tire to break loose and i can adjust it from there

I also have been running 3s once in a while.This thing is a total animal on 3s.Have you tried it yet ?,it's fun.Reminds me of a kx 500

P.S. Chris,did you post your rear shock setup here,if so what page,i couldnt find it.I am thinking of getting this shock
I've been using a Tenshock 5200kv motor pulling a 13 tooth pinion so haven't even thought about needing any more power lol.
There was a piece about the shock at www.rcdirtbikeaction.com a few months back. I am going to do another step by step one as soon as I rebuild another shock. Yes they are the ones I use but with 1.2 pistons. Not sure what they come std with.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:29 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post

Before you pull the trigger for those shocks from T.H., Do a search on EBAY for those same exact shocks. I got mine for $30 (thanks to Johnny Mc for the same tip to me). Recieved them with out a problem from the seller. Good luck!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Before you pull the trigger for those shocks from T.H., Do a search on EBAY for those same exact shocks. I got mine for $30 (thanks to Johnny Mc for the same tip to me). Recieved them with out a problem from the seller. Good luck!
I know your conditions are quite different to the ones I run in and subject my bike to. I was wondering if you've felt an improvement at all in your testing and if so in which way and whether its worth it? I hope so because I don't want to lead anyone astray, but I'm happy with mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
I know your conditions are quite different to the ones I run in and subject my bike to. I was wondering if you've felt an improvement at all in your testing and if so in which way and whether its worth it? I hope so because I don't want to lead anyone astray, but I'm happy with mine.
Chris, I think you are totally correct in recommending these big bore shocks, not only for me on the smoother indoor tracks, but especially for the MX dirt tracks. The big bore shock allows us to run lighter oil so the shocks still dampen, but don't pack down in the ripple bumps. Running heavier oil in a small shock would result in more pack and more endos for us! Our biggest enemy is the massive flywheel in the rear wheel. That's alot of mass to control, so I think without spending a ton of money on a multi valved shock, this is the best option. Even a multivalved shock can only help so much cause once you launch that much mass, Only Newton knows where its coming down. lol
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Chris, I think you are totally correct in recommending these big bore shocks, not only for me on the smoother indoor tracks, but especially for the MX dirt tracks. The big bore shock allows us to run lighter oil so the shocks still dampen, but don't pack down in the ripple bumps. Running heavier oil in a small shock would result in more pack and more endos for us! Our biggest enemy is the massive flywheel in the rear wheel. That's alot of mass to control, so I think without spending a ton of money on a multi valved shock, this is the best option. Even a multivalved shock can only help so much cause once you launch that much mass, Only Newton knows where its coming down. lol
Lol, yes I agree the weight in the rear wheel is considerable and needs to be controlled as well as technology can allow. At this point it's a big bore shock, in time who knows. Thanks Dave.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:43 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
I had 5 or 6 runs today with the truggy insert in this tyre on the hardpacked dusty stuff and the more the tyre wore in the better the bike felt. It was really handling well. Even with low tyre roll the tyre was still finding good traction and feeling very stable. I can't wait to try the 1/5 insert.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
Bit of scrub still stuck in the wheel lol.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:58 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
I had another 6 runs today and I'm really enjoying the bikes performance using the insert made from truggy foams . It is firmer to feel but has less bounce in the insert than the std one which works really good on the braking bumps and bad jump landings. You can really push the bike through the higher speed corners with great confidence in the bikes stability. The tyre holds its shape really well with minimal roll yet even on the hard slippery stuff it hooks up great. Another good thing is I've had about 12 runs and so far there has been no noticeable deterioration or change in the feel of the insert and the track is getting worse every run lol. I had to stop this test due to a black flag for a noise violation as I flipped it on the jump and ripped the exhaust half off lol .
Atomik Brian Deegan MM450 Dirt Bike (2 min 4 sec)

This is the tyre after about 12 runs. Quite some wear but still nice and round with no distortion or lumps .
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:03 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
I had another 6 runs today and I'm really enjoying the bikes performance using the insert made from truggy foams . It is firmer to feel but has less bounce in the insert than the std one which works really good on the braking bumps and bad jump landings. You can really push the bike through the higher speed corners with great confidence in the bikes stability. The tyre holds its shape really well with minimal roll yet even on the hard slippery stuff it hooks up great. Another good thing is I've had about 12 runs and so far there has been no noticeable deterioration or change in the feel of the insert and the track is getting worse every run lol. I had to stop this test due to a black flag for a noise violation as I flipped it on the jump and ripped the exhaust half off lol .
http://youtu.be/kU_h4I0yO1g
This is the tyre after about 12 runs. Quite some wear but still nice and round with no distortion or lumps .
Looks good Chris, What brand truggy inserts are you using? That bike looks like it just finished the Paris to Dakar rally, lol. "Gimme a bath at the car wash Dad!" The little Deegan says. hehhee
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Looks good Chris, What brand truggy inserts are you using? That bike looks like it just finished the Paris to Dakar rally, lol. "Gimme a bath at the car wash Dad!" The little Deegan says. hehhee
Lol, yea I wish it would rain, then he'd get all muddy haha, better than the dust though cough cough. I think they are Proline ones. They were already used for a big meeting by a mate and he was throwing them out when I said hey, I might be able to use them. So they've already been used and they are still holding up ok. They are the old foam style not the new ones. Really happy with the feel of the bike.
Edit, they do have to be cut and joined. Also the sides need to be trimmed. I'm hoping the 1/5 insert will work as well with less prep.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Add
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:23 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
That bikes probably done the equivalent of the Dakar around my track lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
And the track is starting to look like the Dakar in spots too haha.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,740 Posts
I know we've talked about this before where your rear tire has worn the lugs into sharp edges and that maybe your traction gets better as the tire wears into those shaped lugs. You still think thats true?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
I know we've talked about this before where your rear tire has worn the lugs into sharp edges and that maybe your traction gets better as the tire wears into those shaped lugs. You still think thats true?
On hardpack yes I think that is the case. As they wear they get a little less roll but also even more contact as you can see by the wear so instead of the edge of the knobs gripping its the whole surface of the knobs. This is why I believe if you had even more knobs the tyre may work better again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,532 Posts
Thanks TJ that insert turned up and looks pretty promising. Like you said perfect size just needs a little trimming. Looks and feels very similar to the std one but is made of different foam. I see they glue them together too. I'll test and report.
RCG Plus Member