HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:10 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
Stop running a studded rubber band tire and start running real tires!
Thats why those guys dont chime in, they support the ARX bike and have no practical experience with the VMX and tire experimentation. If they do then they are keeping it tight liped.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:43 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
10k for mold, holly molly!

Im going to repost some stuff from the vmx discussion here because its relevant and for reference. I doubt a 1/8 buggy tire will wrap over an old vmx tire carcass, instead look for truggy tires. The picture below is of a Proline Revolver VTR m2 medium compound truggy tire. I can find them in pairs without inserts cheap for about $17 at Towerhobbies. Ive seen AMainHobbies.com sometimes sells individual truggy tires dirt cheap too.

Hope you dont mind I quote you ChrisN from the vmx discussion responding to my picture I posted...

Once I get my bike sorted out I will get back to testing this:
No doubt buggy tyres will not fit on the Atomik tyre. Truggy tyres would be the go. I only have buggy tyres at home to show treads. The tread patterns on truggy tyres are the same for buggies. Also I checked out the 1/5 inserts at the LHS yesterday. I found the Proline ones seem way too hard. I tried the HPI fronts and rears and found the rears seemed too hard also but the fronts ( I think the ones you have TJ ) feel pretty good for a test. They didn't have them separately from tyres though so didn't buy any.
@ TJ do you sell them by themselves?
JB you may have to wait and see how TJs tyre and insert experiment went with his ARX.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
I will be doing Chris. Once I've got a track to play on again that isn't either 6'' thick mud or frozen puddles or like a scale relief map of the alps, and xmas out of the way, the M5 race rear wheel will be going on and I can start mucking around with truggy inserts and seeing the effects. Yay! As an aside for upgrades, I'm eyeing up the possibility of fitting a big bore shock to the M5, but that is for the new year and a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
JB you may have to wait and see how TJs tyre and insert experiment went with his ARX.
I'll be keeping watch.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Thats why those guys dont chime in, they support the ARX bike and have no practical experience with the VMX and tire experimentation. If they do then they are keeping it tight liped.
JB I was considering a ARX bike although the lack of a insert plus a harder compound tyre really put me off as all my driving is done on slippery hard packed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:27 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Chris N, just wondering if you know anything about a slight tyre thickness change and also a slight insert hardness change in the MM versus the VMX. The reason I ask is because I have two tyres and inserts in my hand, one from the MM and one from a VMX and they definitely feel different. The MMs tyre feels stiffer as in thicker and also the insert feels harder and less squashy. Or is this just a quality control thing do you think. They just seem quite different.

I still have quite a few std inserts to go through, to make them last a little longer for me I made up a layer of rubber out of an old bike tube and run it around between the foam and the plastic inner ring to try and reduce the cutting of the edges of the insert by the sharp inner ring when cornering hard. I tried a double layer of rubber but couldn't get the tyre to seat well so reduced it to one layer. Hopefully I'll get more than a few runs out of them. Testing will see if it works at all.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:01 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
No but there can be a slight variance in both the tire and insert in production. I seem to remember an update I did to make the rear tire carcass thicker by a small amount but I think that was the SMR not MXR tire.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
No but there can be a slight variance in both the tire and insert in production. I seem to remember an update I did to make the rear tire carcass thicker by a small amount but I think that was the SMR not MXR tire.
No worries thanks Chris. I have seen some slightly deformed rears a while ago. It was like the mold had some residue stuck in it in places causing the knobs to not be full in places
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:41 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
The skyrc bike tyre with insert on the arx definitely has more traction on dirt than the stock tyre with no insert, it would be the best set up i have had on it yet for dirt, but i have to get the rest of the bike to work with it steering mainly but also suspension, the skyrc tyre rubber feels a bit firmer than the vmx & the insert i used was also a touch firmer i want to try a softer insert next but i am off the road for a little bit as i had an altercation with a tree yesterday & need some repairs

chktm how many baja inserts did you want if you only want one to test i will give you one you just pay the postage.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
The skyrc bike tyre with insert on the arx definitely has more traction on dirt than the stock tyre with no insert, it would be the best set up i have had on it yet for dirt, but i have to get the rest of the bike to work with it steering mainly but also suspension, the skyrc tyre rubber feels a bit firmer than the vmx & the insert i used was also a touch firmer i want to try a softer insert next but i am off the road for a little bit as i had an altercation with a tree yesterday & need some repairs

chktm how many baja inserts did you want if you only want one to test i will give you one you just pay the postage.
I was wondering how it would go as it looked pretty good and seems to work on the skyrc bike . Bugger about the tree, they just jump out in front of you lol. Have your pinions turned up yet? I saw the LHS had 12 and 13 in stock.
One insert would be fine to test TJ. I'll pay postage no problem. I'll PM you with the address, let me know what to do about the postage.
Thanks Chris.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:23 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
How do you think the baja HD block tyre would work on a vmx, i have been tempted a couple of times to use it on the arx but because it was a larger diameter i did not want to ruin a new tyre if cutting & joining it did not work but it looks like it would be a neat fit on a vmx carcass.

No pinions it has been 3 weeks i tried at 2 LHS's & all they could say was good luck finding them, they are lucky to know what you are talking about let alone have them.

Hitting the tree with the arx may have been a good thing as it has pointed me in a different direction & given me some other ideas.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
How do you think the baja HD block tyre would work on a vmx, i have been tempted a couple of times to use it on the arx but because it was a larger diameter i did not want to ruin a new tyre if cutting & joining it did not work but it looks like it would be a neat fit on a vmx carcass.

No pinions it has been 3 weeks i tried at 2 LHS's & all they could say was good luck finding them, they are lucky to know what you are talking about let alone have them.

Hitting the tree with the arx may have been a good thing as it has pointed me in a different direction & given me some other ideas.
The tread looks like it would work good on the grass, not sure about the dry dirt, this may depend on how soft a compound it is. Being from a bigger vehicle it could be quite a bit firmer. How does it feel in your hand compared with say a ARX tyre and a VMX one? The std VMX and MM tyre and insert work pretty good on a surface not unlike dusty concrete such as this pic. I should have got some pinions and sent them, bugger. Dam post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:52 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
The tread looks like it would work good on the grass, not sure about the dry dirt, this may depend on how soft a compound it is. Being from a bigger vehicle it could be quite a bit firmer. How does it feel in your hand compared with say a ARX tyre and a VMX one? The std VMX and MM tyre and insert work pretty good on a surface not unlike dusty concrete such as this pic. I should have got some pinions and sent them, bugger. Dam post.
It is actually soft much like the vmx compound & the knobs are about the same length as well, i might try it one day when i have a baldy vmx tyre.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
It is actually soft much like the vmx compound & the knobs are about the same length as well, i might try it one day when i have a baldy vmx tyre.
Yea as long as the compound is soft it should work good. You'll have a bald one in no time with your motor lol .
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
WOW 1st post in a few months.I took a little hiatus after being disgusted with the mech gyro.Finally got the egyro and now that i can actually put the power down,i realized i have WAYYYY too much traction,so i trimmed the knobby down 1/2 way.They are 2.5mm deep now.With proper slipper adjust and 1/2 knobs on tire,the bike feels much much better.

gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:04 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
WOW 1st post in a few months.I took a little hiatus after being disgusted with the mech gyro.Finally got the egyro and now that i can actually put the power down,i realized i have WAYYYY too much traction,so i trimmed the knobby down 1/2 way.They are 2.5mm deep now.With proper slipper adjust and 1/2 knobs on tire,the bike feels much much better.

Hi gurumods, you now have way too much power also eh lol? Where do you use your bike? Bitumen or dirt? Maybe grass?
RCG Plus Member