HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:18 AM
Israel, כ"ס
Joined Jan 2013
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
Your RSSI should not change within your house, and you need to solder the antenna pad from the RFM-22B chip to the "arduino" board, otherwise you're using a 1mm long antenna!

Ive got good results now with my setup, but have not yet tested it again in real flight, due to lack of time.

just solder up that antenna connection and you'll be good.
Can someone please post a picture? I'm not really sure I know where to solder to and from.
I solder from the SMA connection middle pin (which is soldered) or from the board where it says ANT? is the wire I use for that matter? or will it just be the solder led?

Sorry, but i'm not good at electronics, but am ok with a soldering iron.
sevet is online now Find More Posts by sevet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Uxbridge
Joined Jan 2012
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
yes, it will work if it does physically fit, I cant remember really, long time ago that i opened my gt3b up, but i would think so. And then just wire up the PPM
great, thanks for the quick reply, placed my order just got the long wait.lol
glue hand brian is offline Find More Posts by glue hand brian
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Great! Thanks! Cool!
Sp1k3 is offline Find More Posts by Sp1k3
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Hi Kha,
OK now that I got my Tx working. Blue light turns ON with tag 1.6. I cannot manage to get into binding mode. If I keep the button pressed for 1sec while powering up. My RED LED turns ON and the buzzer stays constantly ON, Instead in your readme, the RED LED should be blinking with 5Hz together with the buzzer. I also tried holding it down for >7s. it fist gives several beeps then it goes into the same state. I'm not sure if its binding because I think my RFm22 module on the RX is burned and I'm awaiting a replacement. So is this normal or is there something wrong?
Otherwise when I turn it ON, only BLUE LED turns ON, which is correct.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
30 Posts
You hold down the bind button for about 2 seconds. It should beep while you are holding it down. As soon as it beeps let it go and it will beep constantly. Now power up your RX and the lights will flash and then you get a steady flashing blue light. The TX will not stop beeping so their isn't any indication that it is bound. just power down the RX and TX. Turn the TX on and wait 4 seconds and then power up the RX and put a servo on it and test it. The RX will bind every time it's powered up. I tested the failsafe and it works like a champ. I also tested a power failure on the RX by powering it down and back up. It took a few seconds but reconnected to the TX. I'm wondering what might happen if another oLRS TX is also on during a RX power cycle since the RX binds on power up. This is on v1.6 btw.

If you need more help let me know. I haven't tested RSSI to the OSD yet. Still working my Hornet OSD setup.
Maglin is offline Find More Posts by Maglin
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
THanks a lot Maglin!
My Rx is not working properly, I think I burned the RFM22 board, so I couldn't test if it was binding or not. I get a constant red light on it. I'm waiting for a replacement.
But since you tell me that the RED LED stay constantly ON and that the buzzer stays constantly ON, then now I know at least the Tx is working properly.
In order to avoid the problem of binding each time, what I did is comment out that feature with
//#define RX_ALWAYS_BIND
then you only bind with shorting pins 1 and 2, this will avoid the problem of binding to another Tx of one is nearby. The only CON is that if you want to change frequency by holding the Tx button for >3s, then you need to recconect the pins 1&2. However the Rx can only bind if the Tx is in bind mode, and the likely hood that someone else is nearby and binding at the same time is rather low ;-).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
Crd did you solved the problem with regaining bind when closing in from out of range distance?
Chris
Hendrix, Im unable to re-bind after 30 seconds of the TX been off, if I turn on the radio at 29 seconds I get binding quickly but after 30 seconds it will not bind again unless I take the RX power out.
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:15 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
Hendrix, Im unable to re-bind after 30 seconds of the TX been off, if I turn on the radio at 29 seconds I get binding quickly but after 30 seconds it will not bind again unless I take the RX power out.
Hmh sounds like something may be wrong in the beacon code. Do you have the failsafe beacon enabled?
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
Hmh sounds like something may be wrong in the beacon code. Do you have the failsafe beacon enabled?
one potential issue is setting the interval too small which will cause the Rx to send beacons all the time and have no time to resync with Tx.
Otherwise the beacon code works properly imho, i run with it, and is able to resync.
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:34 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,917 Posts
Yes it seems to work if beacon is enabled, I will test with beacon disabled next.

EDIT: tested with beacon disabled and the link is immediately re-established in that case too even after having TX off for several minutes..
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kha; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
576 Posts
is this normal?

I tested the Orange open LRS today just on the ground. I had connected RSSI (without any buffer used, not sure if it is needed) and ArduPilot Mega 2.5 and Minim OSD, so I could see current RSSI.

When I was near the airplane I had 100 percent RSSI. At about just 150 - 200 meters there was 0. And ArduPilot Mega 2.5 triggered Circle and RTL because of failsafe.

I decided to not not throw my flying wing into the air based on this observation then.

Is this normal or where should I try to find the issue?

PS: Testing with openLRSng firmware in TX and RX. And this TX antenna: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180977771287...84.m1439.l2649
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Last edited by pavn; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:44 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,205 Posts
You need to change the stock antennas, I changed both of mine TX/RX to 6.5" home made Dipoles 6.5" on each side of the dipole and the range Ground Level went from 280 meters to now almost 1500 meters, I can go to the other side of my neighborhood and the link is still solid and the signal is traveling thru hundreds of houses. In the air it will have better range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
I tested the Orange open LRS today just on the ground. I had connected RSSI (without any buffer used, not sure if it is needed) and ArduPilot Mega 2.5 and Minim OSD, so I could see current RSSI.

When I was near the airplane I had 100 percent RSSI. At about just 150 - 200 meters there was 0. And ArduPilot Mega 2.5 triggered Circle and RTL because of failsafe.

I decided to not not throw my flying wing into the air based on this observation then.

Is this normal or where should I try to find the issue?

PS: Testing with openLRSng firmware in TX and RX. And this TX antenna: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180977771287...84.m1439.l2649
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:53 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
576 Posts
I am using this TX antenna:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180977771287...84.m1439.l2649

For RX I use stock antenna currently.

I would like to use this type of antenna for RX.
Turnstile UHF RX antenna: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417408

Do you think the Orange Open LRS RX and TX is ok and that turnstile antenna for RX should help to achieve the good range?

Quote:
You need to change the stock antennas, I changed both of mine TX/RX to 6.5" home made Dipoles 6.5" on each side of the dipole and the range Ground Level went from 280 meters to now almost 1500 meters, I can go to the other side of my neighborhood and the link is still solid and the signal is traveling thru hundreds of houses. In the air it will have better range.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:01 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
I am using this TX antenna:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180977771287...84.m1439.l2649

For RX I use stock antenna currently.

I would like to use this type of antenna for RX.
Turnstile UHF RX antenna: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417408

Do you think the Orange Open LRS RX and TX is ok and that turnstile antenna for RX should help to achieve the good range?
I dont know about the ebay antenna, 1" inch could make a huge difference I prefer dragon link type of antenna on the TX and the RX antenna can be the one fron IBcrazy or a dipole. I will post pics of mine in a few, so you have an idea.

Here are my antennas
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
576 Posts
How did you make this antenna?

Do you think RX and TX are ok in my case or should I complaint to Hobby King?

Quote:
I dont know about the ebay antenna, 1" inch could make a huge difference I prefer dragon link type of antenna on the TX and the RX antenna can be the one fron IBcrazy or a dipole. I will post pics of mine in a few, so you have an idea.

Here are my antennas