HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:27 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
Okay I am trying out different firmwares now and on the the stock firmware.

SERIAL_SUM_PPM in config.h of the firmware and wire the PPM signal into the Throttle channel.
But the HK send SUM PPM to channel 8 with having a short across the channel 1 and 3!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:32 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernes View Post
Thanks kha, but can you explain me how it works the telemetry? like frsky? when it sounds when the rssi is low for example?
Currently it just receives rssi values but ignores them. For feedback the buzzer will sound when a frame is lost.

Im going to add frsky like telemetry output on serial in future - maybe in a week or so. (Haven't worked on code for a while as I've been working on the hw design)
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:35 PM
Spain
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Ok, thanks for your efforts.
Ernes is offline Find More Posts by Ernes
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
What about the possibility to display the telemetry data on a 16x2 lcd?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:43 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Just received HK orange openlrs yesterday.
Which version of firmware do you recommend?

I tested stock just at home to control my airplane and it works ok.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:53 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,472 Posts
Guys,

which connector is on the TX module board ?
is it a MCX female ?

reason i ask is that id like t o change the gray coax wire inside the module to a longer one and relocate the antenna somewhere else.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Just received HK orange openlrs yesterday.
Which version of firmware do you recommend?

I tested stock just at home to control my airplane and it works ok.
I think openLRSng is the most popular firmware for it right now, that is what I flashed onto it.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:42 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
I did the same yesterday. I use recent version from GITHUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
I think openLRSng is the most popular firmware for it right now, that is what I flashed onto it.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:12 AM
Joined Aug 2007
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
Here is my current design, not everything is verified atm.
https://github.com/kh4/openLRSngTX
Looking really good and thanks for sharing. I especially like the usage of the "real" SPI pins which will be faster and less code in the firmware (skip the SPI bit banging functions).
To be honest I have little to add to your design, and will most probably use it straight off. I'll make new board layout to fit my components (which I have lying), I'll perhaps etch a sample, due to the chinese guys having their holiday, and see if I encounter any showstoppers, I'd let you know in such a case but the schematics looks solid.

Im currently having some wierd idea in my head for implementing antenna diversity (on the RX side). My toughts on this is that a few external components should do it (PIN diodes), but I can't really understand the current usage of the GPIO pins?, why need they to be wired directly to TX_ON and RX_ON inputs of RFM IC? Couldn't you drive these from the MCU instead and free up the GPIO pins for antenna diversity?.

Reading the sections in the reference manual about antenna diversity, it seems like most of the stuff is already implemented, like switching of GPIO pins to resolve best antenna RSSI during the pre-ample etc... There is also two cool registers for reading RSSI of each antenna.
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Aug 2007
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
I'll be sure to post my results.
Do you have any details on your RSSI analog meter? Has anyone integrated the telemetry from the open LRS into the turnigy 9x/9xr using er9x? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it has but if it hasn't I'll take a stab at doing it.
It is just a quick hack of kha's excellent firmware. Take the RSSI, scale it to 0-1023 (servo pulse range in code) and output it on any given channel.
this is the version I was running in the video: https://github.com/gitsly/openLRSng/...bd0e4f7fc5be2b

I use this instead of an OSD which I can't currently afford (im on a RC budget so I need to prioritize my purchases ).
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:45 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
Looking really good and thanks for sharing. I especially like the usage of the "real" SPI pins which will be faster and less code in the firmware (skip the SPI bit banging functions).
To be honest I have little to add to your design, and will most probably use it straight off. I'll make new board layout to fit my components (which I have lying), I'll perhaps etch a sample, due to the chinese guys having their holiday, and see if I encounter any showstoppers, I'd let you know in such a case but the schematics looks solid.

Im currently having some wierd idea in my head for implementing antenna diversity (on the RX side). My toughts on this is that a few external components should do it (PIN diodes), but I can't really understand the current usage of the GPIO pins?, why need they to be wired directly to TX_ON and RX_ON inputs of RFM IC? Couldn't you drive these from the MCU instead and free up the GPIO pins for antenna diversity?.

Reading the sections in the reference manual about antenna diversity, it seems like most of the stuff is already implemented, like switching of GPIO pins to resolve best antenna RSSI during the pre-ample etc... There is also two cool registers for reading RSSI of each antenna.
Actually the bitbanging is not any slower than real SPI, as we need to anyway send one byte at time, the biggest benefit is that it is way cleaner in code.

Yes the TX_ON/RX_ON could be done from the CPU, but...

I have to say I'm not RF expert but I don't believe in the antenna diversity too much since there is some losses from having the PIN diode there.

So the approach I'm going to take is adding a satellite support to the code, i.e. you can hook up two openLRS receivers together via the I2C bus and the both will receive packets, this also adds some benefit on link reestablishment since they can be used to listen on different channels for faster recovery.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:55 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Hey Folks, I did not take the time to page through this entire thread so forgive me if I ask dumb questions. I have the HK 9XR, 433mHz orange module and the 433mHz open source receiver on the way now. Only after did I realize it requires Aurdino knowledge.
My question is, what em I in for? and before any antenna upgrades of other tweaks what kind of range is to be reasonably expected?
Quick Draw is offline Find More Posts by Quick Draw
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:44 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
Hey Folks, I did not take the time to page through this entire thread so forgive me if I ask dumb questions. I have the HK 9XR, 433mHz orange module and the 433mHz open source receiver on the way now. Only after did I realize it requires Aurdino knowledge.
My question is, what em I in for? and before any antenna upgrades of other tweaks what kind of range is to be reasonably expected?
I have no arduino knowledge either and it took me about 30 minutes for flash this. The flashing part takes like 10 mins but I was trying to find out relevant info about the flashing. I posted some relevant links on the first post.

I've heard of people of doing 1-2 mile ground tests with the stock firmware.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:40 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
You should probably also link this to the first post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=439 (kha's filter for rssi, components are easier to find than for the buffer and it works fine ;-)

note sure about linking this one since i wrote it, but that's basically how to flash the firmware at the moment (in the future I think the author plans to move the settings elsewhere, but flashing from source will be the same or similar):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=467

At least it should tell you how hard/easy it is to flash (IMO its not very hard once you have the instructions)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:20 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
You should probably also link this to the first post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=439 (kha's filter for rssi, components are easier to find than for the buffer and it works fine ;-)

note sure about linking this one since i wrote it, but that's basically how to flash the firmware at the moment (in the future I think the author plans to move the settings elsewhere, but flashing from source will be the same or similar):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=467

At least it should tell you how hard/easy it is to flash (IMO its not very hard once you have the instructions)
I thought that buffer was for people who can put digital RSSI to their OSD and that was just to make the RSSI more stable. Not to convert the digital to analog.

I actually used your guide flashing the tx and rx and it was extremely useful and very easy. Thanks for saving couple hours of my time
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo