Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:55 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
Great! I haven't looked at any pinouts yet. Does this mean that the orange openlrs tx mod will be plug and play telemetry with the 9x/9xr or do we still need to connect a pin? I'm thinking you mean utilize the existing connection but not clear.

thanks,
Brendin
I don't think Orange connected anything to the unused 'antenna' pin on the 5 pin JR connector Haven't really checked that. So I think a slight modification is needed in any case.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,622 Posts
Well if following the commonly seen mods for FrSky telemetry in the 9X the 5th pin is for the TX from the radio. So not really what is needed.
It should be 2nd pin, that in the Orange TX is connected to ground.

So better have that in mind in case the radio is already moded in that way for FrSky.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Well if following the commonly seen mods for FrSky telemetry in the 9X the 5th pin is for the TX from the radio. So not really what is needed.
It should be 2nd pin, that in the Orange TX is connected to ground.

So better have that in mind in case the radio is already moded in that way for FrSky.
My radio isn't modded...at least not yet...but if it would be possible to modify the er9x software to use the pins already connected on the orangetx that would be cool. We could release a openlrs version of the er9x software. I'll do some digging and see if it would even be possible with the existing pin connections.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:22 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
My radio isn't modded...at least not yet...but if it would be possible to modify the er9x software to use the pins already connected on the orangetx that would be cool. We could release a openlrs version of the er9x software. I'll do some digging and see if it would even be possible with the existing pin connections.
You mean the existing pin connections on the radio? If so unfortunately it is not possible. You'll always need to mod the radio to get the telemetry working, the existing two free pins in the radio from stock don't link to the Atmega.

But if you still need to do the mod, you can wire them differently and be able to use the Orange TX straight away.

In mine I'll simply cut the connection to GND from the 2nd pin and link it to the TX. May still need to add some stuff due to the different
voltage levels 3.3v <> 5v between module and radio.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
At the bottom of the arduino window you'll see the progress. When it says "done uploading", you're good to go!
I just wanted to say thanks for your instructions. I've done a little arduino fiddling, but it had been awhile since I'd used the software and my FTDI programmer. Your directions were just the ticket and I was able to programme two sets of the Orange RXs and TXs. They even worked when I was done!
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:59 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
Glad it helped someone
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Aug 2007
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
The flytron has schematics on the site.

I'm designing my pcb as full two layer with basically rfm on one side and rest on the other. Im going to make them at iTeadstudio and as the board will fit 50x50mm it will be doable at 10pcs for 9.99 (+shipping). Ill make the board exactly fit the flysky jr box as I have few vacant after removing the flysky stuff.
Turns out that I've been living under a rock for the past few years, who the heck does etching when you can order nicely done PCBs 10 pieces?!?!! For 10 bucks, or am I reading wrong on their page/here. That's really awsome.
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:51 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
Turns out that I've been living under a rock for the past few years, who the heck does etching when you can order nicely done PCBs 10 pieces?!?!! For 10 bucks, or am I reading wrong on their page/here. That's really awsome.
Yes it is pretty awesome service, the only downside is that it takes few weeks to get the boards, but the quality has always beed perfect.

Here is my current design, not everything is verified atm.

https://github.com/kh4/openLRSngTX
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:46 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,474 Posts
Hello guys,

can anyone advise which FW is recommended for flashing the OrangeRX LRS Tx\Rx ?
i3dm is online now Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while and I think having an open LRS system will be exciting. Nice work kha!

Anyways, one thing I was wondering is why not make new hardware that uses an arduino nano for the mc-pcb? Like that you would already have USB, LEDs, etc and it would make it very easy to build.
HeliShredder is offline Find More Posts by HeliShredder
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:24 AM
Spain
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Hello all
kha, I'm almost finished my plane and I've seen you make some changes in your code. I flashed my tx-rx some weeks ago.
Do you think I have to reflash them again? or there are minor changes.
Thanks a lot
Ernes is online now Find More Posts by Ernes
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
You mean the existing pin connections on the radio? If so unfortunately it is not possible. You'll always need to mod the radio to get the telemetry working, the existing two free pins in the radio from stock don't link to the Atmega.

But if you still need to do the mod, you can wire them differently and be able to use the Orange TX straight away.

In mine I'll simply cut the connection to GND from the 2nd pin and link it to the TX. May still need to add some stuff due to the different
voltage levels 3.3v <> 5v between module and radio.
Yeah I got a chance to do some reading and I see what you mean. Ah well have to do a little soldering then.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:41 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,401 Posts
Any idea on how to setup PWM for use with a Quadrino FC?
If I missed the I tired the plug on pin one and two.
I couldn't get it to work.
I am wondering if I am using the right channel for PWM?
Which channel, I have seen channel 8 or channel 1.
Am I doing it all wrong?
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:46 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernes View Post
Hello all
kha, I'm almost finished my plane and I've seen you make some changes in your code. I flashed my tx-rx some weeks ago.
Do you think I have to reflash them again? or there are minor changes.
Thanks a lot
They are 'minor' changes unless you want to try out the telemetry (which requires higher baudrate).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:21 AM
Spain
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
They are 'minor' changes unless you want to try out the telemetry (which requires higher baudrate).
Thanks kha, but can you explain me how it works the telemetry? like frsky? when it sounds when the rssi is low for example?
Ernes is online now Find More Posts by Ernes