SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
I've read mixed thoughts on the HK orangerx versions. I ordered one tx mod and 3 rx's . I have tried the tx mod and 2 of the rx modules with the openLRSng firmware. It seems to work ok on the bench. The quality control isn't great. One of my tx's has the pins soldered not straight in several of the headers. Real world what kind of range should expect with these? Before I stick any of these on a quad or hexacopter I'll put one on my skywalker that has the fy31ap on it with working RTH. That also has a 900mhz video tx on it. I'm not sure if that will interfere or not. If I can get about 2km reliably I would be happy.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
I've read mixed thoughts on the HK orangerx versions. I ordered one tx mod and 3 rx's . I have tried the tx mod and 2 of the rx modules with the openLRSng firmware. It seems to work ok on the bench. The quality control isn't great. One of my tx's has the pins soldered not straight in several of the headers. Real world what kind of range should expect with these? Before I stick any of these on a quad or hexacopter I'll put one on my skywalker that has the fy31ap on it with working RTH. That also has a 900mhz video tx on it. I'm not sure if that will interfere or not. If I can get about 2km reliably I would be happy.
Cool, be sure to report back after test with the skywalker. When I get the time, I'll try fly (FPV) as far as I can with my EasyGlider and record the event and post video here, the only issue for me is that I dont have RTL, so I put my faith in the RSSI meter and will bail out if it drops to low...
Last time I was out, I had problems with my recording device, and also the sun was shining quite strong so when flying against it I could not see my "analog" RSSI meter at all, so I chickened out, didnt want to risk it, but I had strong signal @ approx 600m up in the sky.

A question:
I've started to design a PCB for putting my RSB23BP's on when they arrive in eagle PCB, but looking at the datasheet for RSB23BP specifically they state a supply voltage range of 3.3 minimal up to 6V, 5V nominal, where the RSB22 has 1.8V - 3.3V (nominal 3.0V), anyone know if the OpenLRS M3 1W unit from Flytron got the 5V supply (TRACO power) or 3.3V. Im starting to think it would be best to go with 5V?
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:52 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
I've started to design a PCB for putting my RSB23BP's on when they arrive in eagle PCB, but looking at the datasheet for RSB23BP specifically they state a supply voltage range of 3.3 minimal up to 6V, 5V nominal, where the RSB22 has 1.8V - 3.3V (nominal 3.0V), anyone know if the OpenLRS M3 1W unit from Flytron got the 5V supply (TRACO power) or 3.3V. Im starting to think it would be best to go with 5V?
Flytron M3 powers the RFM via 3v3 from the TRACO and this is the way you should likely do it too. Just ensure that your 3v3 source can reliably give at least ~1A to be on the safe side.

I am also designing a PCB for RFM23BP usage, I will share my design as I have some changes on the pinning and it would make sense to combine our efforts.

I'm going to use one of these to power it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=261016120147
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kha; Feb 05, 2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:08 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post

That regulator looks huge.
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
That regulator looks huge.
Yeah a little big and overpowered but the price is unbeatable (10pcs for $6).

I should be able to fit that 'loose' ie not populated on board into the flysky jr box. If it does not fit there is plenty of use for them in other projects.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Flytron M3 powers the RFM via 3v3 from the TRACO and this is the way you should likely do it too. Just ensure that your 3v3 source can reliably give at least ~1A to be on the safe side.

I am also designing a PCB for RFM23BP usage, I will share my design as I have some changes on the pinning and it would make sense to combine our efforts.

That price is rather unbeatable, my plan was to just design a quick board, nothing fancy, with the components that I had lying around. My main goals are to keep the PCB as simple as possible, minimizing through holes etc by placing most of the stuff on the same layer. I've got limited (etching) circuit board making equipment. I'm also possibly going to exclude the power circuitry from the actual TX board, but have not yet decided. I've got an LM2596S, capable of 3A which I'll use otherwise. It's a very capable IC which only need four external components (caps and a switch diode and solenoid), collaboration might be difficult? We could of course share the MCU schematic,? I'm gonna try mimic OpenLRS choice of pin usage but with atmega88 (pretty much the same as 328). Do you use eaglepcb? Anyway is the hardware design for Flytron not public? Only the software is open source right?
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Cool, be sure to report back after test with the skywalker. When I get the time, I'll try fly (FPV) as far as I can with my EasyGlider and record the event and post video here, the only issue for me is that I dont have RTL, so I put my faith in the RSSI meter and will bail out if it drops to low...
Last time I was out, I had problems with my recording device, and also the sun was shining quite strong so when flying against it I could not see my "analog" RSSI meter at all, so I chickened out, didnt want to risk it, but I had strong signal @ approx 600m up in the sky.
I'll be sure to post my results.
Do you have any details on your RSSI analog meter? Has anyone integrated the telemetry from the open LRS into the turnigy 9x/9xr using er9x? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it has but if it hasn't I'll take a stab at doing it.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:14 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,678 Posts
Quote:
I'll be sure to post my results.
Do you have any details on your RSSI analog meter? Has anyone integrated the telemetry from the open LRS into the turnigy 9x/9xr using er9x? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it has but if it hasn't I'll take a stab at doing it.
In the er9x the telemetry format is for FrSky, so does openLRS sends data in that format?
I've done that before, not with the openLRS code but it can be ported, may do that this week with the openLRSng fork to test as last
weekend tests flying the quad in FPV with the HK LRS finally were good.

Note: Will probably need some changes in the Orange TX as the pinout is not directly possible.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; Feb 05, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
In the er9x the telemetry format is for FrSky, so does openLRS sends data in that format?
I've done that before, not with the openLRS code but it can be ported, may do that this week with the openLRSng fork to test as last
weekend tests flying the quad in FPV with the HK LRS finally were good.
I am not sure what format it sends but it should be easily adapted. Which firmware are you using on the HK LRS? How far did you take it out?

I haven't looked at all the pins that connect the radio to the module but am wondering if it will be possible to send the telemetry over the exsting connections.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:31 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,678 Posts
Before I was using my own boards and firmware, so that was super easy to implement.
I had TX and RX RSSI levels, plus

Now I was waiting for kha to add the telemetry support in openLRSng to add it. But because I had all the hardware problems with the kit I wasn't giving that much attention.

I'm using the same pinout as I use for the FrSky telemetry mod. As it's the AtMega communicating with the 9x there is no need to TTL level converters or any other parts.

Yellow wire is what feeds the telemetry into the radio, it goes into second pin from the top in the JR conector. That in the Orange TX is conected to GND (need to check the schematics).
(The small pcb in the midle of the cable is a vreg to power the atmega, not a TTL level converter)
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:01 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
I've done that before, not with the openLRS code but it can be ported,
I will enable frsky style telemetry output to openlrsng shortly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:06 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
my plan was to just design a quick board, nothing fancy, with the components that I had lying around. My main goals are to keep the PCB as simple as possible, minimizing through holes etc by placing most of the stuff on the same layer.
The flytron has schematics on the site.

I'm designing my pcb as full two layer with basically rfm on one side and rest on the other. Im going to make them at iTeadstudio and as the board will fit 50x50mm it will be doable at 10pcs for 9.99 (+shipping). Ill make the board exactly fit the flysky jr box as I have few vacant after removing the flysky stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
I will enable frsky style telemetry output to openlrsng shortly.
That would be great. Do you happen to have a 9x or 9xr radio?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:36 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
That would be great. Do you happen to have a 9x or 9xr radio?
Both havent modded 9xr yet but it is basically same pcb in there regarding the telemetry mod. Will wire the telemetry rx pin to the antenna pin on JR
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Both havent modded 9xr yet but it is basically same pcb in there regarding the telemetry mod. Will wire the telemetry rx pin to the antenna pin on JR
Great! I haven't looked at any pinouts yet. Does this mean that the orange openlrs tx mod will be plug and play telemetry with the 9x/9xr or do we still need to connect a pin? I'm thinking you mean utilize the existing connection but not clear.

thanks,
Brendin