HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:43 PM
France
Joined Aug 2010
111 Posts
Hi, thanks for video, I just bought my 433 Tx and Rx to compare with Thomas scherrer but..., my 2.4 radio seems to have a better range.
I'm waiting for my Nagoya NA-772 before any test.

Is there anybody who made a tutorial/video to change the firmware?

Cheers.
voodou is offline Find More Posts by voodou
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:28 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
Downloads
Download fw: https://github.com/kh4/openLRSng/archive/v2.0.zip (note there might be newer versions by the time you read this, check https://github.com/kh4/openLRSng/ or the first post of this thread)
Download Arduino: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software ( http://arduino.googlecode.com/files/....3-windows.zip for windows )

FTDI/Programmer
Plug in your usb FDTI stick, and check it works. You may need to install a driver. Since it's stick-dependent you're on your own, but usually "it just works" or "drivers are provided".

Plug the FTDI to the RX or TX, there are 6 pins. BLK pin of the FTDI goes on BLK pin of the board. That's for the pin
connection order, if you plug that pin right, all others will be correct.

If your FTDI provides 5v instead of 3.3v, you can leave the 3.3v pin out (i.e. don't connect it), and provide 5V to the receiver/transmitter instead, via the servo pins (you can even use your ESC's 5V if that's all you have)

Arduino & fw setup
Start arduino (arduino.exe on windows)
Go to menu File:Open
Select openLRSng.ino
This will open a new arduino window. You can close the original (empty) window if you wish.

Scroll the text in the new arduino window until you find:

#define COMPILE_TX
If you want to flash a TX, you can leave it #define COMPILE_TX
If you want to flash a RX, change it to #define COMPILE_RX

Keep scrolling and find:

#define TX_BOARD_TYPE 2
#define RX_BOARD_TYPE 3
#define DEFAULT_RF_POWER 7

Those lines all have good defaults for the orange rx/tx, so you don't need to change anything. However, if you have flytron gear, read the comments next to those lines and change accordingly.

Keep scrolling and find:
#define DEFAULT_CARRIER_FREQUENCY 435000000
That's 435mhz default carrier. In general, you can leave this default. If you're, say, in the UK, you might want to use 459000000 (459Mhz) for example (OpenLRSng 1.2+ only)

The DEFAULT_HOPLIST and default_rf_magic can be left as default, as those are anyway randomized (with 6 channels hop currently) when binding.

Arduino settings
Go to menu: Tools:Serial port and ensure your FTDI serial port is selected. In general, Arduino auto select the correct one for you. Likewise, check menu: Tools:Programmer for your FTDI. Again, arduino generally selects it correctly for you.
Finally, check Tools:Board, and check "Arduino pro or mini (5v, 16Mhz) w/ Atmega 328" is selected.

Flashing
You're now ready to flash. At the top of the arduino window (right under the menus), there are 5 icons. The second icon from the left, with a forward arrow will compile and upload the firmware. Click it

At the bottom of the arduino window you'll see the progress. When it says "done uploading", you're good to go!
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Last edited by CrashMeUp; May 17, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:18 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
598 Posts
I though about this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180996717120...84.m1438.l2649

Which do you think should be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
You need a antenna with "SMA Male".

I use this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221105345287

also got one of these to have it bend nearer to the TX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150534139630

but haven't tested if it fits as I haven't received the angle pieces yet.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
France
Joined Aug 2010
111 Posts
Thanks CrashMeUp!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
I suspect that one or both of my RX's are bad (one is flashed as TX). while trying inside house @100mW, my RSSI is jumping all over the place, is this normal because of being inside? The soldering on the boards looks quite bad, so Im planning to go through each board, resolder every suspiciously looking joint and see if I can get any range/RSSI improvements...

100mW 433MHz should give more range than 10mW 2.4GHz right? If nothing is really off...
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
I suspect that one or both of my RX's are bad (one is flashed as TX). while trying inside house @100mW, my RSSI is jumping all over the place, is this normal because of being inside?
RSSI should be rather stable, indoors is not a problem.

What firmware you are using? At least thundead does RSSI wrong and gives bogus values (i.e. RSSI is sampled when the TX is not transmitting).
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Actually I'm using the latest stuff from your git repo with the only changes made is that I also output the RSSI to CH8 as a servo signal (map(rssi 40-160), 0, 255, 0, 1023)), the code is on my fork, (GitSly).
I also noticed that theundead mod version have other values for the generation of PWM sig. Min and max for retrieved RSSI is different as well as the scaling... I choose to scale my value from 40-160 into 0-255 (& for servo 0-1023), any thoughts on this?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
More details of my setup is in the YouTube description... I'm gonna look for soldering errors and then test with the RX detached from plane and TX unit removed from the actual transmitter, wiggling a servo back and forth with some test code, and report back

Update: there was a potential soldering problem with the RX unit. The antenna was not connected to the RF chip (see images).
I can't wait to get out and test this stuff again, I should be able to go a bit further...
Altough not bad at all with the range in my above video considering there was no antenna connected!!!
Last edited by LiPoSly; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
France
Joined Aug 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPoSly View Post
More details of my setup is in the YouTube description... I'm gonna look for soldering errors and then test with the RX detached from plane and TX unit removed from the actual transmitter, wiggling a servo back and forth with some test code, and report back

Update: there was a potential soldering problem with the RX unit. The antenna was not connected to the RF chip (see images).
I can't wait to get out and test this stuff again, I should be able to go a bit further...
Altough not bad at all with the range in my above video considering there was no antenna connected!!!
Well another thing to check before flying first time, it seems there is no QC control in hk factory!

Did you had time to do another flytest after resoldering?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodou View Post
Well another thing to check before flying first time, it seems there is no QC control in hk factory!

Did you had time to do another flytest after resoldering?
Agreed, QC is us =.
Anyway. I'll post a video of next flight in this thread, but it can take a while. I got lots of kids to take care of back home and the weather is shaky...
But now I have great hopes for this little RF constellation.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
rssi is jumpy without a buffer if the osd doesn't provide one either. not sure if thats what you mean by jumpy, but just in case.. ;-)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:20 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Guys, how do I get the PPM out from the rx for my DragonOSD v2?
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:14 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,702 Posts
QC? They don't know what that is.
Decide to take a look into the RX that I found not to be working ok and I had a "nice" surprise.

Find the difference.

IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:26 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
the tx seems to be of better quality than the rx lol.

note that the flytron rx and tx are all of very good quality in comparison (well, flytron boards of any kind are always a notch higher than anything for the pcb/soldering quality, honestly [which isn't always the case of whats running on it :P /simpleosd 1 user ] )
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
QC? They don't know what that is.
Decide to take a look into the RX that I found not to be working ok and I had a "nice" surprise.

Find the difference.

Oh my, worth taking a good luck inside these before tossing stuff in the air, I guess I got lucky. I'm also happy that I flashed the working board as TX, and not the other way around so I did not burn the unit by running "without" antenna...