HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Aug 2012
375 Posts
Guys! I've been glued to this thread ever since the modules came out. I received my set last week and I was finally able to plug stuff in and test out last night (on my new 9XR). I also ordered a CP2102 (based on info found on this thread) so I can experiment around with different firmwares. This is what I ordered, by the way, $6. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...2&LH_PrefLoc=1

It was stated before that people have flown out to 1.5 km with the stock firmware and antennas, which seems perfectly fine for me initially, but I will eventually want to fly further out. So, this leaves me with a couple of questions (after reading every post on this thread):

1. What type of antenna is best for the RX? I've read stuff about 1/2 dipole, etc, but I have no idea what these are exactly. Can someone point me to the right direction?

2. For the RX, it seems like a nagoya type would be best. Something like a Nagoya NA-771? Again, can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!
jjmelo is online now Find More Posts by jjmelo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
Or there is short on the board....
I've taken up a ticket with HK... Their CS has been fairly reasonable of late, so you never know what the outcome may be...
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,274 Posts
check out this thread for the half wave dipole...simple to make.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159968
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:00 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1k3 View Post
Oh yeah, I didn't quit get the buzzer? What buzzer should I use for a beacon on the Rx?
I know you are sending out a 435MHz chirp, but for people who dont have the equip. for searching for their platform in the woods, its nice to have a buzzer. Now the buzzer to use, would a simple one like the one sold at HK suffice?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Buzzer_.html
The buzzer in this case is on the TX and used to signal some errors. We can of course add support for driving a buzzer on RX side when link is lost.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:09 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
In the case I would like to replace TX antenna.

Do I need 433 MHz UHF antenna with SMA male, SMA female, TNC, BNC or something else?

What type is needed, please?
You need a antenna with "SMA Male".

I use this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221105345287

also got one of these to have it bend nearer to the TX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150534139630

but haven't tested if it fits as I haven't received the angle pieces yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:52 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Simple way to create a half wave dipole for the RX.

Cut off outer sheath of coax a little longer then you require for an element.
Push the braiding down to form a bit of a bunch

and tease a small opening in the bunched up braid.

Carefully tease out the inner conductor through the outer braid.

Continue teasing out the inner until it's all out

Then straighten everything up and cut the outer braid and inner conductor to the length you require.

HTH

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmelo View Post
Guys! I've been glued to this thread ever since the modules came out. I received my set last week and I was finally able to plug stuff in and test out last night (on my new 9XR). I also ordered a CP2102 (based on info found on this thread) so I can experiment around with different firmwares. This is what I ordered, by the way, $6. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...2&LH_PrefLoc=1

It was stated before that people have flown out to 1.5 km with the stock firmware and antennas, which seems perfectly fine for me initially, but I will eventually want to fly further out. So, this leaves me with a couple of questions (after reading every post on this thread):

1. What type of antenna is best for the RX? I've read stuff about 1/2 dipole, etc, but I have no idea what these are exactly. Can someone point me to the right direction?

2. For the RX, it seems like a nagoya type would be best. Something like a Nagoya NA-771? Again, can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!
Nagoya 775 is good, the 771 is junk...
If you want the best antenna for Tx, then use the diamond shr-771 that is unbeatible.
As for the Rx, the best bet is the sandner style antenna, it doesnt have real holes as the dipole does and range is extremely good.
Sp1k3 is offline Find More Posts by Sp1k3
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
The buzzer in this case is on the TX and used to signal some errors. We can of course add support for driving a buzzer on RX side when link is lost.
Ahhh I think I get it now.
So you basically put yourself between the Tx and the plane and use see if it isnt receiving signal anymore, so then you know the plane is behind you. Cool!
I thikn I got it then...

No need for for buzzer on Rx side, as this can be done easily with the failsafe.

By the way, I thought about it, and yes ofcourse we need to program the Rx too, but then what is the binding for?
Sp1k3 is offline Find More Posts by Sp1k3
Last edited by Sp1k3; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1k3 View Post
By the way, I thought about it, and yes ofcourse we need to program the Rx too, but then what is the binding for?
Depends on firmware, nirmal olrs or thundeadmod puts everything on rx at programming rime and thus no bindibg is needed. OpenLRSng changes this a bit, no configuration is pushed to rx at programming time and all settings are transferred at binding this makes it possible to modify settings from tx side only and just rebind rx to update settings on it. Currently this is not very usefull but after I add tx profiles and full cli for configuration it opens quite a new world.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:12 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Some have reported problems with the soldering work.
Ideal would be to have someone with a working kit and mix-match TX/RX to see which one is the culprit and help debugging.
Just to put and end to my saga. It was the RX...
Got a new one to test and it works fine with the new, I have some proper range.
Seems that the QC control on these kits is not the best.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
I want to buy orange openlrs tx module+ rx and conect it to my Aurora 9. I made a little research about it and found out it is possible to draw ppm from the Aurora 9; this serms to be the pin's layout in the module conector:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359217966.645911.jpg
Views: 227
Size: 102.3 KB
Description:
PPM suppose to be on pin 5.
This info comes from this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150747
Does this looks ok? Should be able to make a suitable conector to the openlrs tx module?
Another question - does the power pin (RF+) on the transmitter gives a standart voltage on all transmiters, or should I check if my transmiter output voltage on that pin suits the openlrg tx module? If it isn't a fixed standart voltage- which voltage does the openlrs tx module requires?
Lasst question - I have an FTDI-to-USB conector from AliExpress which is labeled 3.3v/5v:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359218576.559053.jpg
Views: 226
Size: 4.9 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359218586.617280.jpg
Views: 225
Size: 3.9 KB
Description:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/110767260.html
How can I know what voltage it gives? Any idea how to switch between 5v to 3.3v? No manual was attached to it... Is it ok for flashing openlrs tx module and rx?
Friman is offline Find More Posts by Friman
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friman View Post
I want to buy orange openlrs tx module+ rx and conect it to my Aurora 9. I made a little research about it and found out it is possible to draw ppm from the Aurora 9; this serms to be the pin's layout in the module conector:
Attachment 5481090
PPM suppose to be on pin 5.
This info comes from this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150747
Does this looks ok? Should be able to make a suitable conector to the openlrs tx module?
Another question - does the power pin (RF+) on the transmitter gives a standart voltage on all transmiters, or should I check if my transmiter output voltage on that pin suits the openlrg tx module? If it isn't a fixed standart voltage- which voltage does the openlrs tx module requires?
Lasst question - I have an FTDI-to-USB conector from AliExpress which is labeled 3.3v/5v:
Attachment 5481186
Attachment 5481189
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/110767260.html
How can I know what voltage it gives? Any idea how to switch between 5v to 3.3v? No manual was attached to it... Is it ok for flashing openlrs tx module and rx?
If I'm not mistaken the Aurora as a specific module, better check with some other owners the output voltage or measure in yours.

The HK TX module works with up to 12v, that's what standard JR modules output.

As for that FTDI check the description and look at the 2nd pic:
"This board ship default to 5V, but you can cut the default trace and add a solder jumper if you need to switch to 3.3V."
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken the Aurora as a specific module, better check with some other owners the output voltage or measure in yours.

The HK TX module works with up to 12v, that's what standard JR modules output.
Thanks, I measured the voltage output from the power and ground pins in my aurora 9 - it is 8.18V. In HK orange openlrs's page it is declared that the input voltage is 6.8v-12v.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359240074.432834.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 89.9 KB
Description:
Is it ok to power it up with 8.18V or will it reduce the transmiting power compared to 12v in 9X or JR's radio?

Quote:
As for that FTDI check the description and look at the 2nd pic:
"This board ship default to 5V, but you can cut the default trace and add a solder jumper if you need to switch to 3.3V."
I will have to measure the Voltage output from my adapter. I suppose I need to measure it from the pins labled as "3v3" and "Gnd"?
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359240692.013292.jpg
Views: 135
Size: 60.2 KB
Description:
It seems that my adapter as no bridge or jumper comected to the 5v supply, I suspect it doesn't deliever any power at all... Never actually used it, tried to flash Crius AIOP board with it but couldn't succeed...
Edit: Checked, it gives 3.45v. I guess thats OK
Friman is offline Find More Posts by Friman
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,616 Posts
That is ok, 8v should be more than enough and won't impact output power. The transceiver (RFM22) is actually powered by 3.3v.

About the FTDI they come with a really tiny copper bridge between two of the pins, so that is why you don't see any solder.
If default is 5V it should be between the 5V and the center. You'll need to cut it and make a solder bridge from the 3.3v to the center.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Aug 2007
112 Posts
My first test FPV flight with OrangeRX

Today i got to test the OrangeRX LRS flying FPV.
I must say im quite disappointed, but i'll try to figure out why I get crappy range.
There are a few potential issue with my setup which I'll try to resolve.

OpenLRS test with HK OrangeRx (7 min 41 sec)

Also the weather was really crappy, wet and cold...
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly