HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Hmm... By saying you did that too, do you mean the board went dead and you got it working again, or that I've probably fried something else (I was exaggerating in my frustration in my previous post - there was no smoke...)?
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Last edited by lobstermash; Jan 07, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
I did program it with the 5V ftdi, and it did work.
Cesco is online now Find More Posts by Cesco
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:46 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
So I just got mine, and it works just fine. Moved the antenna connector as well, and I must say, the stock antenna isn't _that_ bad in fact. Range test went relatively far at low tx power.
I've a few better antennas tho ;-)

my rxes are flytron's rxes. the soldering and overall board build quality of the flytron is way better, as expected, but it probably doesn't make a difference anyways.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
I did program it with the 5V ftdi, and it did work.
Bugger. I wonder why mine died then... I'd have thought there'd at least be some smoke if the chip or the volt reg bought it. Like I said, when I plugged it in, the LEDs lit up for a second, then went off. As soon as that happened I pulled the plug. When I plugged it into my transmitter nothing lit up at all.

I might try programming it again but powering it through the transmitter. I guess I don't have anything to lose....

UPDATE: I've tried flashing it again, but keep getting errors in arduino. Interestingly, when plugged into power, there's stuff going on. The V reg is still working and the chips get warm. But the LEDs don't light up and I can't seem to get any response from the rx
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Last edited by lobstermash; Jan 08, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:07 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,659 Posts
You can always flash it using a AVR programmer using the produced .hex by the Arduino IDE.
It might be that for some reason the bootloader is gone.

What errors do you get?
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
well they say:

The default code utilizes 3 channel frequency hopping. If you would like to use a different protocol, you can write your own hopping codes or simply download one of the many pre-written Open LRS code sets already available.

I kind of read thru that they flashed some code there already. And likely every module with the same packet ID:s / channels. This would be pretty dangerous for the users who may use it without reflashing.

Also one thing they may have failed is that the voltage regulator on TX may overheat when used with e.g. 9X which feeds 12V directly into the module.

EDIT: this is not problem with most firmwares but with thundead and openlrsng at 4800 baud transmit almost all the time the reg. can not take it.

Still those prices... they are even lower than I expected.
Hi Kha,
as I just ordered it, and dont have the time to read all the 10000 posts so far. I have 2 simple questions:
1- Do you have a latest frimware version that I could download and test?
2- Will it handle the 12.6V with your firmware?
Thanks
Sp1k3
Sp1k3 is offline Find More Posts by Sp1k3
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:29 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1k3 View Post
Hi Kha,
as I just ordered it, and dont have the time to read all the 10000 posts so far. I have 2 simple questions:
1- Do you have a latest frimware version that I could download and test?
2- Will it handle the 12.6V with your firmware?
Thanks
Sp1k3
For my firmware go here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782034

The latest version is always in github and you can either use the 'ZIP' button on the github page to download or use git client to clone it on your own PC.

Running from 3S is a good question I haven't had any problems but haven't really tested how hot the regulator gets on TX. I would avoid the "4800" baud mode at least.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
I did run it at 4800 baud for extended times on 3S. 30ms transmit, 20ms idle. I did never have a problem, but i did not check temp since i was unaware there could be any problem.

Supposed the TX has 33% efficiency and outputs 100mw. That makes 300mw input, at 3.3V a current of below 100ma. Assuming the linear regulator steps down from 12 to 5 Volts this makes 7V * 100mA = 0.7W dissipation. Hot, but no problem i think.

Photo:
My 433 transmitter. Old arduino hacked to 3.3V and GLB 500mw module. Works
Last edited by Cesco; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:49 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,953 Posts
Yeah it is probably fine as the tx has bigger reg than rx.

Earlier I was using the flytron rx as tx and it got too hot making the regulator shut down. Took a while to figure that out as the board was just resetting with quite stable interval. Then touched the reg while measuring something and it was burning hot.

Flytron handled this fine by using a stepdown on the m3 1w version.

I actually modified that self made module with one of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=261016120147

(It seems the seller denied shipping to fi after my order ;-P maybe the postage was too high for him)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:12 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Here is an interesting cheap 'Spectrum Analyzer' for checking various frequencies...

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.ph...g-fpv-systems/

At around 20 dollars, it's well worth it.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
73 Posts
Does anyone knows if this system will fit Hi-tech aurora 9 Tx?

Thanks
Lior
liorz055 is offline Find More Posts by liorz055
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:22 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liorz055 View Post
Does anyone knows if this system will fit Hi-tech aurora 9 Tx?

Thanks
Lior
Should work, all that it needs is >=5V of power and PPM signal from the TX. (the same PPM signal that is used by USB simulator dongles).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Jul 2012
40 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been playing with the orangerx olrs for a couple weeks now.....so far everything is going ok (with the awesome opelrsNG firmware of course ).

Just for investigation purposes, I opened one of the stock antennas to post some details about it.

As you can see in the photo below, the antenna is a center-loaded, electrically short whip.

I think that swapping it with a full 1/4 wavelenght monopole will provide some performance gain....I'll test it soon
MarcoTheRipper is offline Find More Posts by MarcoTheRipper
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liorz055 View Post
this system will fit Hi-tech aurora 9 Tx?
No it wont. They changed the position of the pins in the aurora.
I do have one, and it was a mayor soldering job to fit in the (futaba) frsky module.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:19 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
No it wont. They changed the position of the pins in the aurora.
I do have one, and it was a mayor soldering job to fit in the (futaba) frsky module.
Well... electrically it works, mechanically not. I.e. you can use it by improvising the connections and maybe putting tx onto some other kind of box.
RCG Plus Member