SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:28 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
Why would anyone? I thought the stock firmware was garbage? That would be like buying a 9x and running stock firmware. There is no point when open9x is 1000 times better.
Because like with the 9x not anyone knows or wants to change the FW.
Also it goes inline with part of what you say, I'm was trying to access if it's really garbage. Why? Well because if it is really garbage we better find out and soon so others are warned and don't fall into the same mistakes.

Finally, this is kinda personal, as I'm debugging the problems I'm having with mine I just need to see if there is any report of it working ok at least once.
My goal is to also change the FW but while my FTDI doesn't arrive I'll be checking all points, hardware as mentioned before I've already checked.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Dec 2007
551 Posts
I was unhappy with the antenna position, so i did change it. The antenna is a spare from a 433 3DR radio package.
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Last edited by Cesco; Jan 04, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:31 AM
United States, NV, Verdi-Mogul
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Did you tried and do the same test with the stock FW?
My initial testing (just to make sure that everything seemed functional) was with stock firmware and antenna and consistant with Spejlo's results.

I'm now playing with thUndead's firmware to see if that seems to affect range, but this pesky snow is making it tricky to get LOS of more than a couple of kilometers. But both have been solid at around 2500m, which is plenty for me at the moment.
henkster is offline Find More Posts by henkster
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spejlo View Post
I do not understand some people here.. yesterday i have received HK OLRS and have no problem with it at all..
flashed FW in 15 minutes witch my own freq. and ground test with stock antennas is over 2km.. and i bet it goes a little further but i cant go there
Which FW did you flashed?
liorz055 is offline Find More Posts by liorz055
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkster View Post
playing with thUndead's firmware to see if that seems to affect range
Theoretically, since openlrs 1.12 uses 57000 baud and undead 4800 baud there should be a very significant range increase (factor 3). But the SI4430 chip used may simply not be good for low baudrates. So please post your results. We need to know if lowering the baudrate has a positive effect on range or not.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:23 AM
Russia, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Mar 2005
2,651 Posts
I repeat question about AFC Auto-frequency calibration
http://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf/RFM22B_23B.pdf
page 25
if baud not important, may be include AFC ?
Adekamer is online now Find More Posts by Adekamer
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:37 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adekamer View Post
I repeat question about AFC Auto-frequency calibration
http://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf/RFM22B_23B.pdf
page 25
if baud not important, may be include AFC ?
Everything is a tradeoff. ..

The downside of AFC is that a slightly longer preamble is needed but that is not much so I think it is better to weed it in.

It also is possible to read back the afc offset so could actually check if it really is needed. I think I'm going to put a debug on it and test it by throwing the rx out of the window to get some 30 degrees (C) of temperature difference.

EDIT: actually AFC _is_ enabled on thUndeadMod code and thus also on my openLRSng.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kha; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:52 AM
United States, NV, Verdi-Mogul
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
Theoretically, since openlrs 1.12 uses 57000 baud and undead 4800 baud there should be a very significant range increase (factor 3). But the SI4430 chip used may simply not be good for low baudrates. So please post your results. We need to know if lowering the baudrate has a positive effect on range or not.
We're just about to be hit by another wave of stinky weather, so it'll be another week of hiding inside again, but as soon as I have some data I'll feed back here.
henkster is offline Find More Posts by henkster
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:29 AM
Joined Dec 2007
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkster View Post
another wave of stinky weather.
Same here. Its not cold like other years, its wet, all muddy and slippery. Daylight hours are few, so in my spare time its walking the dog or walking the receiver. Dog wins.

I like the "lost packet" beeps of the flytron firmware, but in my only test it was a quite bad LongRange performer.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:33 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
I like the "lost packet" beeps of the flytron firmware, but in my only test it was a quite bad LongRange performer.
I'm going to add basic telemetry with lost pkt beeps to OpenLRSng soonish. This will only work with the 19200 baud setting.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:31 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
579 Posts
Finally got my set going. Loaded OpenLRSng using a 5v ftdi. I like to live dangerously. Loaded fine, bound fine and works all channels on the bench. Need to get some proper antennas and then range check it.

On the stock firmware the resolution of servo travel seems low. Servo was notchy and felt a lag from input to movement. LRSng feels like it corrects both issues. I dont have a scope to confirm it just felt better.
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Did you tried and do the same test with the stock FW?
nope.. I ordered two RX and one of them flashed to TX (RX fit inside my radio very well)
Spejlo is offline Find More Posts by Spejlo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liorz055 View Post
Which FW did you flashed?
thUndeadMod4 for testing.. but yesterday I try flash thUndeadMod3.6 and it look better.. I don't have much time for testing.. maybe today.. but freq. hopping i seems to by a lot better a recovery from signal loss is much more quicker
Spejlo is offline Find More Posts by Spejlo
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
Finally got my set going. Loaded OpenLRSng using a 5v ftdi. I like to live dangerously. Loaded fine, bound fine and works all channels on the bench. Need to get some proper antennas and then range check it.
I lived dangerously plugging 5V in on AVR. Module now a brick...

After smoking the tx module, I flashed the rx, plugging the 5V and gnd into the normal rx ports. Just cos I could. This is the 2nd really dumb and costly thing I've done in 3 days...
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Last edited by lobstermash; Jan 07, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:43 AM
Joined Dec 2007
551 Posts
Lobster you may have messed up something else, because i did that too, and mine still works.

Next time, cut the 5V wire from the ftdi, and have the device powered normally. Means the serial data will still be 5V, but the power source will be 3.3V. I think even the "3.3V ftdi" have a 5V serial signal.

The only way i can have the stuff programmed 3.3V is the expensive avrdragon which does sense the target voltage and adjusts the programming voltages accordingly.

Btw, i did manage to attach the 500mw radio from GLB to my 3.3V modified arduino2009. If that has the promised 500mw and is reliable it will go into the openlrs transmitter boosting my range