HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:31 AM
Lowand Fast
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
Sorry ... what i said about using the usbasp programmer for arduino i was completely wrong. It is quite simple to do so. Steps:

Remove the jumper from your HK usbasp like in the picture attached. This jumper sends 5V to the target, we dont want that. Use a normal 5V power supply for the orange opnlrs.

In the arduino sketch, select the usbasp programmer like in screenshot attached.

Connect the usbasp cable to the orange openlrs like in the picture attached.

Use the "upload with programmer" function of arduino like in screenshot attached.

I did test, and it works flawlessly here. You may get a "could not set SCK error", that is normal. Happy programming !
For some reason I still cant get ''serial port' to light up in the menu.
JAS3D is offline Find More Posts by JAS3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:57 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
Sorry ... what i said about using the usbasp programmer for arduino i was completely wrong. It is quite simple to do so. Steps:

Remove the jumper from your HK usbasp like in the picture attached. This jumper sends 5V to the target, we dont want that. Use a normal 5V power supply for the orange opnlrs.

In the arduino sketch, select the usbasp programmer like in screenshot attached.

Connect the usbasp cable to the orange openlrs like in the picture attached.

Use the "upload with programmer" function of arduino like in screenshot attached.

I did test, and it works flawlessly here. You may get a "could not set SCK error", that is normal. Happy programming !
Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of that feature.
Seems it was introduced in the IDE 1.0.x. I'll give it a try.

(Still getting the FTDI as it powers the target board and allows debugging/configuration.)
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:30 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkster View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying, or trying to say here, or even why you would believe this?

The modules work straight out of the box. I've been testing mine over the past couple of weeks with great sucess in stock form. Although I fly in a pretty unpopulated area it's nice to know that:

1. I have full control over the unit, pick my own frequencies according to the lcoal radio landscape, and that I can fly safely with other users with a quick drop into the code. That's not a huge issue, unless you're scared of a bit of tweaking.

2. That despite having an established user base (as it's openLRS remember) and declining enthusiasm on some forums, now HK has released a low-entry-cost version that there's ongoing development and new interest in improving an excellent codebase.

You just have to take it for what it is. It's not a high powered LRS, with the price tag to match. It's extraordinary good value for a hugely flexible 100mW solution.

Try googling "openlrs" for some examples of videos

I was more interested in seeing some videos with this system from hk

I understand its not plug and play but thought by now after all your guys testing some of you would be air born with videos
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:51 AM
18t
Joined Mar 2010
121 Posts
ya true, get your s*** together here people. The last 5 or 6 pages of this thread since the units shipped haven't been filled with people talking about using it or anything.
18t is offline Find More Posts by 18t
Last edited by 18t; Jan 03, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:05 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
I just want to see video of someone flying with the hk system

I find it interesting how people have trouble setting it up, it seems like not fun todo at all

It is surprising no one posts videos mentioning this hk system and how it works
Beit well or not

Anyone have links to fpv videos using this system from hk

Who has flown furthest with stock set up
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:37 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Don't forget it's winter in most places. People tinker a lot, fly much less. You can just get one and make a video yourself if you're in so much of a hurry
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:35 PM
Poland
Joined Feb 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
AVR cable is not needed for flashin, instead a 'normal 3v3 FTDI' i.e. USB to TTL serial adapter is needed.

I personally use CP2102 based ones.
Could you please write some kind of how-to with pictures (connection details to both orange tx and rx)?
Are you using this kind of device?

thanks
Mieciu is offline Find More Posts by Mieciu
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:23 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
2,016 Posts
Yes, the CP2102 on the picture is the same I use.

Connections on CP2102
GND (brown), RXD (green), TXD (yellow), 3V3 (red), DTR (orange)

I made the wires on single 1x6 connector (you can make one from two servo connectors by gluing them together). In order (empty) (brown) (red) (green) (yellow) (orange), this fits directly on the serial header on the modules.

On RX

On TX

kha is offline Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:04 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
My usbto232 device had no dtr connection. I guess thats my problem Doh!
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:18 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
2,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
My usbto232 device had no dtr connection. I guess thats my problem Doh!
You can manage without DTR.

Just keep the 3V3 wire off and connect it just when the Arduino says "Uploading..." on the staus (between code and log). It may take a few tries.

i.e. press "Upload" button, prepare to connect, and when "compiling sketch" changes to "Uploading..." connect the wire.
kha is offline Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
32 Posts
I do not understand some people here.. yesterday i have received HK OLRS and have no problem with it at all..
flashed FW in 15 minutes witch my own freq. and ground test with stock antennas is over 2km.. and i bet it goes a little further but i cant go there
Spejlo is offline Find More Posts by Spejlo
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:47 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
I've ordered another programmer from ebay to see if that's my problem. I've spent way to much time fooling with what I have now.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:56 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Jul 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I've ordered another programmer from ebay to see if that's my problem. I've spent way to much time fooling with what I have now.
What programmer do you have right now? Maybe you can get DTR from the board
MarcoTheRipper is offline Find More Posts by MarcoTheRipper
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:28 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spejlo View Post
I do not understand some people here.. yesterday i have received HK OLRS and have no problem with it at all..
flashed FW in 15 minutes witch my own freq. and ground test with stock antennas is over 2km.. and i bet it goes a little further but i cant go there
Did you tried and do the same test with the stock FW?
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:16 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Did you tried and do the same test with the stock FW?
Why would anyone? I thought the stock firmware was garbage? That would be like buying a 9x and running stock firmware. There is no point when open9x is 1000 times better.
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P