HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:35 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
I had time to mess with mine today. First of all I have never used arduino or anything like that before. It took me about an hour to figure out how it all worked but I am now up to speed. I flashed mine using openLRSng and then bound the rx. I then set the failsafe so my servo would move to one extreme when signal lost. With the stock antennas I could get about 200m before failsafe started kicking in. I'll try again later with some other antennas I have. My servo moved smooth so with a little more testing I would be willing to fly with it.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:38 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
200 meters????? That is awful, hopefully it's just the stock antennas that are the problem
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:44 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
I am hopeful that in the air with proper antennas it will go a few km. It will be fun to try.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
538 Posts
bracky72,

if you get 200m with openlrsng set to 100mw tx power something is WRONG.
I get more (280m) with stock antennas and 1.6mw, that is 1.6% of your power.
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:52 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
I'll set it to 1.6mw and see how far I get. It is possible I got one of the antenna mixed up with a 2.4 antenna. They look similar. More testing...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I got one of the antenna mixed up with a 2.4 antenna
That would explain it. See the 2.4g are "reverse sma" while 433 are "normal sma".
A 2.4g antenna on a 433 device will have a ultrashitty performance, and a r-sma connector on a sma socket wont make contact at all ... means same as no antenna at all.

Would be nice of you to check it. Look into the connector, r-sma and sma are different.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:36 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,069 Posts
Actually I realized I am still not programming it right so it must still be on stock firmware. The code compiles fine and it begins uploading but I get a message about avrdude not syncing. I'll figure it out.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Soo I dont know, this product from HK seems like a garbage judging from the posts. People are getting < 1 km with 433 mhz LRS. Really? I can buy FrSky 2.4G and get 1.5-2.5 km of range w/o any hassle on stock antennas.
With this product I thought HK could really deliver a low priced LRS saystem than can do 5-10 km of range w/o a hassle. Even with stock antennas @100mW it should do MORE then 2.4G from FrSky.

There is smth wrong with it, I hope I am wrong. I am yet to see a post from someone who has > 4km range with stock antennas. Otherwise its pointless.
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:13 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,612 Posts
Well... for a real range test.

Someone with RVOSD G5, rig up a dual (ppm) rx system with frsky 2.4GHz and openLRS running parallel. And have some flights videoed.

I would have the gear but my flying skills wont allow me to do that safely (nor the weather would permit).
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2007
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
I hope I am wrong
You are.

People who actually understand / read the posts have a big advantage over you. Please stop calling products garbage because they do not meet your "plug and fly" approach to the hobby. There are people able and liking to go way deeper into the workings than you are, please stop insulting them because you dont understand.
Last edited by Cesco; Jan 02, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
No need to feed the trolls. Their input into working out a 'new' product (yeah, I know it's not really a new product) is nil.

I've just got a flight controller set up as an autopilot as of yesterday. Weather permitting I will test out max range with the comfort of RTH on failsafe. I think this will outperform an unboosted FrSky system easily with stock antennas. The biggest problem in my mind is orientational diversity. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with 2 antennas...
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Lobster which FC do you use?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
I bought the HK MultiWii Pro with GPS and have been fiddling with it to get ArduplaneNG working. Was a momentous task getting it to work and I'm ecstatic to have got it going.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, NV, Verdi-Mogul
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
@henkster, what range did you got and when you say stock you mean not uploading any new version or same version of the software to the RX or TX?
I've only been taking it out gently so far, the weather's improving after being really hideous recently. So far it's been quite happy at just over 1500m but as I've not really tested everything I'm not going to drop a plane from the sky in pushing things. Ground testing with LOS it went over 2.5km comfortably, but right now I can get any further LOS due to snow cover. I reckon that 5Km should be easily achievable with careful setup, possibly with stock antennae. As soon as you start factoring in decent and/or directional antennae then the range will increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstermash View Post
I think this will outperform an unboosted FrSky system easily with stock antennas. The biggest problem in my mind is orientational diversity. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with 2 antennas...
Yep, this definitely concerns me too. I have the FrSky system, which left my FlySky system in the dust for range. The diversity definitely makes me a bit bolder in pushing things.
henkster is offline Find More Posts by henkster
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
And the fact that FrSky beeps at you when your signal's cutting out. But I don't know what the issue is with mine, even with the patch pointed directly at the plane I get beeps at 1km and angry beeps at 1.5km... Hence why I thought I'd give this fella a go