SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
I certainly got better range than that... However I'm going to open mine up to check the soldering on the pins while I've got the iron on for something else.

I'm almost tempted to stick my fpv gear back in my Bixler and see how far I get, but then I've only just transferred it to my Raptor...
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Yeah, that is a good idea. I'll tell him to check that.
When I was testing my own LRS by mistake I left it on 1mW and I still got better range than that.
(and using 1/4wave reduced height antennas)
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Still waiting for you guys to do a range test with stock antennas.
Also is there any way to use internal antenna of the 9X instead of the module antenna?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
It is plug and play.

Plug in your FTDI and play with firmware.
Priceless
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Also is there any way to use internal antenna of the 9X instead of the module antenna?
You probably meant to say 9XR as the 9X has no internal antenna.
Either way the answer is no, the antenna the 9XR has is for 2.4Ghz and these modules use 433Mhz.

On the TX you may want to get a proper 1/2wave antenna like a Nagoya ou a Diamond.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
The stock antenna is not a 2.4Ghz antenna, but a similar helical-type design to what you see in cb radios (I'm not that savvy with the nomenclature, but I'm sure someone can tell us what it is). I thought I posted a picture of it here... Could have been elsewhere.

600m so far with no issues with the stock antenna. That is as far as I can see my Bixler. I'm not game to put it on my brand spanking new Raptor yet.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
600m is nice for regular transmitter
module but isn't it suppose to be Long Rage System? I reached 850m in FPV flight with my 2.4Ghz Aurora 9, didn't try to go any further since I didn't have auto pilot system then.
Did someone actually tried this module in full FPV flight and has a max range assesment? Does the fail safe function works well? A friend of mine lost his precious Quadcopter yeterday with eLeReS cause failsafe didn't work...
Friman is offline Find More Posts by Friman
Last edited by Friman; Dec 29, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friman View Post
module but isn't it suppose to be Long Rage System? I reached 850m in FPV flight with my 2.4Ghz Aurora 9, didn't try to go any further since I didn't have auto pilot system then.
Did someone actually tried this module in full FPV flight and has a max range assesment? Does the fail safe function works well? A friend of mine lost his precious Quadcopter yeterday with eLeReS cause failsafe didn't work...
If someone on the forum had tested it FPV I'm sure they'd have reported that... My testing shows it can go at least that far. I love it how you get a whole bunch of people on these forums pushing people to take risks they won't take themselves... Happens every new product release...

I'd reserve your expectations about how long range this is really going to be - if it's 5km I'll be happy.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined May 2011
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friman View Post
600m is not nice for any transmitter, considering LRS is designed for FPV. Even 2.4 FrSky can go now from 5 to 60km. So, to be called "Long range" it should work at least for 10km. Otherwise it's better to buy FrSky without any playing with crappy firmware...

btw, there is no any risk to do ground range test, unless you live underground...
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse
Last edited by RocketMouse; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: added quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Who said it was nice? It's as far as I can see. If I could see further it'd likely be whatever that distance is...

Ground tests are a little cumbersome as you rack up the km. Fine for a 'full range' system. I'll test mine in the air when I reflash and get out to a friend's property. I've got FrSky gear that I'm currently running that I know is reliable for flying in national parks.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
No one is pushing no one to take any risks wouldn't been taken anyway. We would simply like to know, if the risk has allready been taken, what was the max range achieved; I read all the posts in this thread and no one actually reported about flying FPV with this set. If I had one of those units I would gladly check and inform you but until I'll have one it will take at least a month of shipping from hk .
Friman is offline Find More Posts by Friman
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
The issue I reported actually happened while flying in FPV.
He was going to test it's range when it failed...

In the mean time I've made a monopole for mine.
Last edited by IceWind; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
You probably meant to say 9XR as the 9X has no internal antenna.
Either way the answer is no, the antenna the 9XR has is for 2.4Ghz and these modules use 433Mhz.

On the TX you may want to get a proper 1/2wave antenna like a Nagoya ou a Diamond.
Ahhh I just said the stupid thing about concerning the antennas.
I was reading too much 9x and 9XR threads

Please someone do a range test. I am dying too know the range
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2007
544 Posts
I have done 2 range tests today. Not pro tests, the transmitter was on a table, and unluckily in the direction i did walk there was a big tree obstructing Line Of Sight. My results are worse than what a man holding the transmitter on a free field would achieve.

Firmware was my openlrsNG-clone, a much stripped down test version with 1.6mw output power (100 mw normal, expect 7 times more range) 4800bps, 12khz deviation and 6 bytes payload. I did test 1 with a dipole on the tx, test 2 with stock antenna. The rx was always stock antenna.

Result is i can get the signal over 280m distance. The stock ant was on its limits, would only work with quite polarization correct to +- 20 deg. the dipole did not have much problems except when polarization was completely off (+- 80 deg).

The main result is i will have to repeat the measurements without that tree in LOS. The system is clearly able of 2km (at 100mw, 280m*7) with stock antenna if conditions are good, and probably much much more with good antennas (and no tree in LOS).

Attached a pic of my duct tape / copper wire dipole (32cm overall length) ...
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Last edited by Cesco; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
The main result is i will have to repeat the measurements without that tree in LOS. The system is clearly able of 2km (at 100mw, 280m*7) with stock antenna if conditions are good, and probably much much more with good antennas (and no tree in LOS).
So, pretty much the only reason why someone would get this over the frsky would be if they are using an FPV frequency other than 5.8ghz. The rc range seems to be the same as frsky.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby