United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
sorry,
i guess the Kilrah response confused me,

"sqrt(10) = 3.16x"

so from 100 to 1000 mw means 3 times the power and 1,5x the range, right?
No. Power is linear. Meaning that if you go from 100mw to 1000mw, you have 10 times more power. When you got from 100mw to 1000mw, you get 3.16x the distance.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:11 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
[QUOTE=David22;23461100
Does it have failsafe that can be set in the air?[/QUOTE]
Depending on firmware, I think most available firmwares have that (at least mine has).
kha is offline Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:47 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
@Mehlik Maybe you can setup a link to buy a licence for openLRS I.e. a small payment people can do to compensate for your efforts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2012
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelihK View Post
Hi guys,

It is unauthorized copy of the OpenLRS from Flytron !
OpenLRS is an Opensource RC and i'm the developer of that system.
Stop the video on 1:08 and check the receiver.
It is copy of our receiver.
Top 6 pins is FTDI
Right 4 pins is "my personal preference" for I2C 3.3v
Only the difference is 6 pin ICSP. We dont need that because of our production procedure.
MelihK,

Sorry to see the lack of respect that HK have shown for your work. I would not have been aware of your project or the HK versions without your blog post on the diydrones site. I've bought a fair bit of 3DR gear - APM2, telemetry, quad frames and various sensors/electrectronics - but also have some cheap stuff from HK.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ut-open-source

While I have no interest in long range RC setups, a UHF alternative to 2.4GHz is interesting and there is a lot of potential in your project. Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the community.

Do you have the ability to accept direct donations from users? This could be a way for those purchasing from HK to support your project.
Robert_AU is offline Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:09 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
@Mehlik Maybe you can setup a link to buy a licence for openLRS I.e. a small payment people can do to compensate for your efforts.
Or how about we could donate a buck or two for him if we buy this? I could include the link to donate on the first post.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:16 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Depending on firmware, I think most available firmwares have that (at least mine has).
Quote:
added: PC based configuration for channels/frequencies/device ID and others.
- added: in flight failsafe setup. Just press and release the Tx button for recording the servo positions as failsafe.
- added: booster mode selection: Just press the button when your TX off and power on your Tx and release the button when you hear long beep. Your Tx will work on 17dBm mode for driving your 7W booster.
http://code.google.com/p/openlrs/dow...2.zip&can=2&q=

Yup. You can set the failsafe while in air
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
No. Power is linear. Meaning that if you go from 100mw to 1000mw, you have 10 times more power. When you got from 100mw to 1000mw, you get 3.16x the distance.
Only in theory
In practice it also means you're going to get 3.16 times the external interference as there will be roughly 3.16 times the obstacles and RFI in the air between the TX and RX
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:37 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,693 Posts
It would be interesting to test out this UHF system with hk $17 1.2 or 2.4 video tx

If someone were to do research they probably could order a complete long range fpv set up
Including googles, patch antenna, plane everything for cheap

The prices hk sells stuff for still seems unbelievable
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:29 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
I couldn't help myself and ordered a set for testing.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:00 AM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
798 Posts
Quote:
From Hobbyking: *Note: The setup and use of Open LRS requires computer programming skills and basic Arduino experience. This is not a "plug and play" system. See the attached document under the "Files" tab for resources on programming info, firmware downloads and more.
Hmmm... not a "plug n play" system, could cause a few headeaches for some
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined May 2011
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelihK View Post
Hi guys,

It is unauthorized copy of the OpenLRS from Flytron !
OpenLRS is an Opensource RC and i'm the developer of that system.
As I can see at diydrones discussion, HK did not really violated any regulations. So there is no point to call it "unauthorized" copy...

From my point of view, what they did is really good for the community. Now it gives a reason for enthusiasts to develop proper software and get nice and cheap system. Which it seems was not until now. It was expensive and it's FW capabilities are really less than basic. Or only 49 sold items can prove the opposite?

I guess that the plan was to get profit from selling hardware and get the community to do the rest of the work with writing code, which actually is much more complicated job than stick together Arduino Nano and RFM module.

I know an example how similar system was made by а single person with MUCH more capabilities as you guys are trying hard to do already for two years....

Sorry, but it does not impress at all.

By the way HK also is funny by making 0.1W transmitter which is better be called Not Too Much LRS...
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
open source under GPL means the code is free in every sense of the word. free as in speech, or libre, which means anyone can use, redistribute, sell, or modify the code for any purpose. also free as in beer, or gratis, which means nobody is required to pay for the source code, ever. hobbyking is not required to pay, and you are not required to pay. this is the essence of the GPL.

schematics seem to be under CC by-sa which means anybody can use the schematics. who knows if hobbyking even used the schematics to make their modules. who knows if the modules even ship with software on them. no matter what, the price of buying an openLRS system has dropped dramatically and the system is now plug and play. most likely development of the system will speed up as demand for features increases.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:48 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,987 Posts
Yeah nobody is required to do anything.

Still giving credit and maybe even compensation would be polite.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:55 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,693 Posts
Quote:
Yeah nobody is required to do anything.

Still giving credit and maybe even compensation would be polite.
Be could start up a UHF modification business, and advertise hk UHF system for resale but with special modifications done to them.

Like filters, boosting switch, antenna modifications, rssi, etc
He could reprogram the units with v2 and so on improvements.

This way he could make money
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined May 2011
406 Posts
Thanks npre!

Why I like HK? Because as I can see most of RC and FPV shops are not actually inventing something at all, they mostly re-brand other manufacturers and sell it more expensive getting profit of our hobby. Is this nice? Not sure!

So all this cloning story is just good marketing to draw more attention to flytron....
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse