HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
136 Posts
Help!
DJI Naza Autolanding Problem !

Hi guys !

I was testing the other day (second fly ever) my Hexacopter RTF DJI F550 with Naza controller, it flyes amazing ! but when i try the Fail Safe function (i turn off the radio) it lands ok on the same place but it does not land smoothly ... it does it a little hard for my opinion.

I just want to know, if there any way to controll that or do it more smooth landing?

Thanks and sorry for my english!
Pepeticos is offline Find More Posts by Pepeticos
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:15 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Yes, it's called LAND IT YOURSELF. It is not an Autoland feature, it is a failsafe. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER TURN OFF YOUR RADIO! You are releasing all control for something you are 100% responsible to control.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
858 Posts
Yes, but I don't think that is what he was asking.

He is wondering if there is a way to optmiize the auto-land feature so it lands a little softer.

Who cares about the lecture - His question was technical in nature, not "hand slap" in nature. It's his money, if he wants to throw it over a bridge that's his business, not yours.

Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
The problem may be your minimal throttle setting for failsafe.

Assuming your transmitter supports failsafe, you need to set it on your transmitter so that when you switch to failsafe (lose a signal or turn off your transmitter) that it switches the NAZA to failsafe mode (which you already did) but also sets your throttle at the correct power for a slow descent.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
The problem may be your minimal throttle setting for failsafe.

Assuming your transmitter supports failsafe, you need to set it on your transmitter so that when you switch to failsafe (lose a signal or turn off your transmitter) that it switches the NAZA to failsafe mode (which you already did) but also sets your throttle at the correct power for a slow descent.
Naza sets the failsafe throttle... you have no control of it. Now when you set your pre-failsafe your throttle has to be 10% or above to have Naza initialize failsafe.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Naza sets the failsafe throttle... you have no control of it. Now when you set your pre-failsafe your throttle has to be 10% or above to have Naza initialize failsafe.
I am not sure how or if it is applied, but I set up a failsafe throttle point on my Futaba 8FG and when I turn off the power, the NAZA assist software shows the throttle up at what I set it to. (Regardless of what my throttle setting was at the time I switched off.)

This is a function of my transmitter not of NAZA. I am assuming that this is passed on to the the NAZA, but perhaps it ignores it. (I'd have to see what happens when I increase it.)

You certainly can know better than me. But then why would his F550 be landing too quickly? Mine will come down slowly, stop above the ground, and then settle down gently.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Mar 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
I am not sure how or if it is applied, but I set up a failsafe throttle point on my Futaba 8FG and when I turn off the power, the NAZA assist software shows the throttle up at what I set it to. (Regardless of what my throttle setting was at the time I switched off.)

This is a function of my transmitter not of NAZA. I am assuming that this is passed on to the the NAZA, but perhaps it ignores it. (I'd have to see what happens when I increase it.)
Do a test, set the throttle at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 % & see if it affects the auto landing. There has been a lot of posts about this. But its always better to prove it for yourself.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
46 Posts
The first time I tried autoland it was pretty disastrous; it came down in a spiral, and when it touched down it tipped. Then the motors would not shut off, and the flamewheel drew first blood as I reached between props to unplug it. When I got home I went back over my setup. I moved the control unit closer to the actual CG. I went back into the setup utility, and noticed that I had put some pretty screwy numbers into the GPS offset fields, so I fixed those. I performed another compass calibration. Also, when I power up I'm pretty careful about having the frame level, and about not disturbing it until the rapid series of green flashes that happen some time after it's initialized (that may be overkill). I have only tried the autoland twice since it did it's cuisenart imitation; partly to convince myself that the setup is ok if I really need it, but also because let's face it, it's just cool! It's worked *amazingly* well both times. It has become clear to me that just as I found flying helicopters, careful setup is generously rewarded. Details matter. Sloppiness is expensive, and potentially painful. *edit - not insinuating you were sloppy, but I was, even when I didn't think I was being.*
stevegalle is offline Find More Posts by stevegalle
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
840 Posts
"...not disturbing it until the rapid series of green " is just setting home position. You do not have to wait for rapid series of green.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:15 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
You could always try to set your receiver failsafe to ATTI mode and zero throttle (ONLY if you use 'intelligent mode'). It'll descend fast, but once it detects that the multi is on the ground and not moving anymore, the motors will stop.

Now, before you do this, test ATTI mode first and see what happens when you move the throttle to zero. As far as I know, it will not fall out of the sky, it will simply descend in a fast but controlled manner and then turn off the motors once on the ground. Which is much better than the so called 'failsafe'. The failsafe doesn't turn off the motors, it'll just stay on the ground with a good bit of throttle until you regain control.

Anyhow, that's how I remember it. Be careful when you test this. Not sure if I can recommend this if your F550 is heavily loaded.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
136 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for your kindly responses ! MCrites if you are not going to help with your comments stay away. Of course that when i turn off my RX i was in the middle of a farm with no one arround in many many miles !!!! and i need to test the fail safe becouse i will use this set up to work so is better to test it in a farm than something goes wrong in the middle of the city don t you think?
Pepeticos is offline Find More Posts by Pepeticos
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:04 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I may have got too emotional with the "land it yourself", my apologies. It's just frustrating to see dozens and dozens of new pilot coming into the forums yelling about how Naza doesn't fly itself from beginning to end and they had a bad day when something went wrong they could not control themselves.

I do stand by my "never ever turn off your radio". There are many ways to program the Failsafe onto a switch on your TX. If something were to go wrong during the "autoland" you won't have the few seconds it takes to reboot the TX and make a connection to your RX in order to regain control of your craft. When things go wrong that is when people get hurt, ESPECIALLY with new pilots.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
956 Posts
Just a quick comment,

One thing not mentioned here is weight of the copter. It will determine how fast it falls --- I mean descent rate.
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I may have got too emotional with the "land it yourself", my apologies. It's just frustrating to see dozens and dozens of new pilot coming into the forums yelling about how Naza doesn't fly itself from beginning to end and they had a bad day when something went wrong they could not control themselves.

I do stand by my "never ever turn off your radio". There are many ways to program the Failsafe onto a switch on your TX. If something were to go wrong during the "autoland" you won't have the few seconds it takes to reboot the TX and make a connection to your RX in order to regain control of your craft. When things go wrong that is when people get hurt, ESPECIALLY with new pilots.
Yes but there is no way to test a true failsafe w/o turning off your radio. Yes you can trigger it via a switch but that wont show what happens when a true loss of signal occurs.

Some users dont understand that the NAZA requires an rx that supports a true fail safe.. example on the spketrum side is ar7000 /w data port and above.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I agree blade but can't you simulate the loss of RX in the Assistant. It will show you what position every channel is set to.