SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
107 Posts
Discussion
Which setup will be more efficient? DJI450 (cost, performance)

I'm up in the air about what setup to go with on my DJI450. I've researched for days everything I can to consider what to go with. If someone could comment and advise on each area, and maybe post some links, that would help out a lot. I'm overloaded with good information after reading for hours and hours!

I live in a rural area and have want to create a "security" (just for fun) quad for the property. I've tested a couple helo's with IR led's on them and it was very successful at night! I can light up 20-30ft with a surprisingly minimal amount of them, and even more successful with a decent FPV camera picking up the IR light.

My goals are as follows:

- 10+ minute flight time
- ~2 mile range (Not planning on going quite that far though)
- FPV only (no secondary HD camera)
- Omni-directional setup (I fly in rural farmland in any and all directions around the house and property)

Radio/Receiver:
I currently have an Airtronics RDS8000 that I have used with a lot of things and I love, but I'm not sure about staying with a 2.4Ghz system... Also, Airtronics receivers are spendy so I'd spend a lot more buying those in the long run if I were to stay with it. If I stayed with the 2.4, I'd probably invest in a booster setup to mod the Tx with. I'm considering buying a Turnigy9x for the multi, and just getting a 2.4 module for it if I want to run my other R/C's I have flown with the Airtronics. The receivers are dirt cheap for it.

Video Tx/Rx/Camera:
I've read about countless setups, and at this point have no idea which would be the best to go with. People have success with many different setups on multi's it seems and just picking and experimenting with some seem to be the way to go. This also depends on whether or not I'm staying with a 2.4Ghz radio setup. I'm going to be using a mini CCD camera with a very low weight on one horizontal servo mounted under the frame.

What would be better to do? Stay with the 2.4 radio and get a different frequency video, or switch from a 2.4 radio? Which frequencies?

Antennas:
First off, I'm not super experienced when it comes to antennas, and would rather buy a pre-made exact antenna. After reading quite a bit, I'm leaning towards a circular like the clover for both ends as I think this would be best for my goals.

F450 parts:
I'm using everything that comes with the kit, and plan on running a Nano-tech 3s 3300 25c battery. I will increase this size for more flight time if the whole setup can handle more weight. I'm not sure what other smaller battery I plan on putting on there for the IR lights and Tx and such, but I will worry about that later I suppose.

This all will help me with the basic decisions on what to get in the first place. Once I figure out all of this, it will make everything else much easier to decide on!

Thanks for the help!

Josh
JB5587 is offline Find More Posts by JB5587
to remove ads between posts