HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Help!
How do you keep glue off aileron wire when repairing a foam wing?

So I've got on of the those AS3X micro spitfires and through a combination of not checking cg and general flying incompetence I crashed and ripped the wing off. I've got some foam safe CA, but the ailerons are worked by a sort of torque tube wire and I'd like to avoid gluing that. Seems like CA sticks to wax paper--is there anything else I can put between the wire and the wing to to keep my ailerons working?

Thanks!
Bill Mercer is offline Find More Posts by Bill Mercer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
PS--the foam is torn, the aileron wire seems to have come through unscathed. I'm trying to avoid taking the thing apart, reattaching the music wire, etc..

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Were it my situation, I would try a thin coat of oil on the wire.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
394 Posts
My suggestion is to see if you can get your hands on some very small electronic shrink tubing. Place the tubing over the wire in the area where you wish to glue and try very hard not to get any ca into either end of the shrink tubing. Very small shrink tubing would be flexible enough to bend around any Z bend and you will not need a whole lot, depending on damaged area, maybe 3/4 of an inch. You would not need to shrink if you get one small enough.

Hope this works for you.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Well, on looking it over again last night the wires were right at the edge of the area that needed gluing, so I just glued the tear very carefully, then set the thing on some scrap balsa to hold the dihedral while it dried. Seems to have worked out alright--the wire appears to be free, and the plane is back to two wings.

Now I'm wondering if I should make run a couple thin carbon-fibre rods across the damaged area to make sure everything stays together.