HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Discussion
reacquiring the bug

Hey folks, I've been lurking here and there for the past couple of years, reading about the changed RC world. I used to fly RC about 20 or 25 years ago. Learned to fly on an OLY 650. Ended up giving that to my youngest brother, and regret letting it go. Sure was a fun, easy to fly plane. Still have hanging in my workshed a slightly beat up SIG Riser 100 that could probably be ready for flight in a few hours. I was wondering, though, if anyone had a set of plans for a Sagitta 600 lying about. I would be most grateful if someone would lend me a set to copy, and I would gladly return same set, plus a new copy, to you. It would still be more cost effective than buying a set from RCM plans, and paying shipping costs. I had a Sagitta 600 many years ago, while a young Marine stationed in Hawaii ( I know, rough duty!!), and destroyed it on an overzealous winch launch. The kits I occasionally see offered are now ridiculously overpriced for someone who remembers paying about $45 back in the early 80's. I know, I'm cheap. I have a partially completed 600 fuselage that I've been toting around for the past 20 years or so, and it really wants a set of wings and tailfeathers to make it whole again. If anyone here could help me out, I'd appreciate it tremendously. Thanks
medic976 is offline Find More Posts by medic976
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Welcome back to soaring. I hope this return will not be short lived.
Sounds like you are a builder and i would never discourage a builder. How much are the plans from RCM? Are you sure you can copy and return that much cheaper? After all, if we don't give the plans guys some business there won't be any plans guys. I hope to read about the return of you Sig Riser 100 to the sky.

What radio will you be using?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Thanks for the reply aeajr. Actually the plans from RCM are $19.00 + 11.00 for shipping, so that's $ 30.00. Kinkos will poke your eye out to copy a set of plans, but I've found a blueprint service nearby that only charged me $9.00 to copy a set of plans for a Lanzo Bomber last year. So, at $18.00, plus about five or so for shipping, we still come out on top. The Riser just needs a few tears in the covering patched, and I had planned to use an Airtronics (Sanwa) RD 600 I've had laying about for some time. Need some fresh batteries, though. I have always loved building, ever since the Guillows rubber band powered planes I used to build as a kid. To me, that's really at least half the fun of the hobby; to fly something that was actually built by my own hands. Winters are not too harsh here in San Antonio, so the only real hurdle would be to find a flying site not too far away. All the places I remember here in town are now either shopping centers, or suburban subdivisions.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,757 Posts
Hi,
Welcome back.
A lot has changed over the years.

You may want to wait and reconsider using RCM and there have been some recent threads.
I don't know whom to go to with legal plan sets. The US holder is not providing. There are some offshore providers, although I personally would not use them. I know it can be frustrating, yet....

There is someone on this board selling ribs sets with a 3021 foil instead of the original 205 and under a different name from a far away county.
The basic wing plan for the Sagitta is easy and can be drawn out on paper.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
call me maybe can help... 707 206 8955. (Don't let the nr fool ya) I'm local

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic976 View Post
Thanks for the reply aeajr. Actually the plans from RCM are $19.00 + 11.00 for shipping, so that's $ 30.00. Kinkos will poke your eye out to copy a set of plans, but I've found a blueprint service nearby that only charged me $9.00 to copy a set of plans for a Lanzo Bomber last year. So, at $18.00, plus about five or so for shipping, we still come out on top. The Riser just needs a few tears in the covering patched, and I had planned to use an Airtronics (Sanwa) RD 600 I've had laying about for some time. Need some fresh batteries, though. I have always loved building, ever since the Guillows rubber band powered planes I used to build as a kid. To me, that's really at least half the fun of the hobby; to fly something that was actually built by my own hands. Winters are not too harsh here in San Antonio, so the only real hurdle would be to find a flying site not too far away. All the places I remember here in town are now either shopping centers, or suburban subdivisions.
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic976 View Post
Be sure to thoroughly test that receiver as corosion can set in. Also be sure to work those servos, a lot, before you trust them. Again, corosion can set in and create dead spots.

Your 72 MHz radio should be fine. When you are ready, the new 2.4 GHz radios are great. No frequency control required.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
While cleaning out/straightening up my work/storage shed this afternoon, I came across a stack of 8 1/2 x 14 photocopies I made (apparently YEARS ago) of the cut parts of the Sagitta 600. WOW ! Now I can produce a "short kit" to resume this project. Still... could use a set of plans for the wings/tailfeathers, though. Or even good images and dimensions would help tremendously. Thanks to all who have so kindly replied, looking forward to hearing from anyone who might also be able to help. Thanks. BTW Wylie.. hope that Oly 650 blows your mind. Always will regret giving mine away.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
Now if I could just find that radio gear...... I know it's in here somewhere.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
466 Posts
If you can't find your radio gear, go on e-bay and pick up a Kraft MkIII transmitter. Send it to RadioSouth for an update. They will check it out, replace the batteries and narrow band it for a reasonable price, and you will have a fantastic Tx of the right vintage for your ships. The Futaba 72 MHz AM receivers will work fine with it. I was flying this setup just a couple hours ago.

Welcome Back!
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:41 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Hello "medic976 ", Welcome back ! I have the same ache for soaring when I'm not able to get out and fly. I second "aeajr" on the RCM plans. They are nice, cheap and easy to get. Nice selection of the old great sailplane plans.

Have fun!
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:28 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,757 Posts
Hi medic976
I just may have an extra set of original plans for the Sagitta 600 inbound. Once received and verified I will let you know.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member