HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Contest
F3J in the Desert 2013

Hi Folks - it is that time again. F3J in the Desert will be held Feb 21/22, 2013 Queen Creek, AZ. Here is some important information about registration and teaming:

I will open the registration on December 7 at 8:00AM MST. This is a well attended event and will fill up quickly. I have had some challenges in the past with lane squatters - pilots that grab a lane/team but don't have anyone to team with, and locking out teams that have already coordinated. To avoid this the first week of registration I will only allow teams to be formed in the team manager that have at least 4 pilots registered. After the first week anyone can start a team looking for others to join them. I strongly encourage you do do some planning and get your teammates arranged ahead of time. Then when registration opens get your teammates registered and use the Team Manager to create your team. At least FOUR of your teammates must be already registered before you create your team. If I see any teams formed with less than 4 pilots during the first week I will delete them.

I am planning on 5 man teams with 13 teams/lanes. This is the maximum number of lanes that the field can accomodate. If we have overwhelming response I may expand to 6 man teams at a later time.Teams will be able to select from the remaining pilots to fill their team - and any slots not filled by the team will be allocated by me.

The rules will be the same as last year - check out the rules and processes for last years event at http://f3xevents.com. This years version of the rules will be updated before registration opens.

As always this event benefits either the US F3J team or the US F3B team depending on the cycle. This year we are supporting the F3B team!

So get coordinated and get ready for a great event. This is the largest F3Jish event in the US and I'm sure the top pilots will be there. Rumor has it there may even be some European participation this year...

See you there - Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Last edited by jimsoars; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added location
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Registration Opens Friday AM

Be sure to have your teams ready...
Jim
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Take note - the SWC has had to move the event due to circumstances beyond their control. F3J in the Desert will now be Feb 21/22.

Jim
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Sweet - registration open for 20 minutes and we have 7 teams and 34 pilots signed up! It's likely we will fill this up...
Jim
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:04 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
Geez, I just found out that by signing up an hour after the entry opened was like being late for work by a half day! The office was already filled!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
Wow, what an event this is going to be. Perkins, Wurts, Kolb, Kiesling, Paulson, Miller, Jolly....sweet roster! Can't wait, this is going to be fun. Team F3B will be ready to rock!

M
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:09 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,468 Posts
Roger that...two hours in, and only eight pilot slots and one team lane remaining! Looking forward to this.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Nice work folks – we are almost full up and it all happened in about 2 hours… 

Here is the way it works. Once the registration has reached 65 pilots registration will be closed and I will be taking wait list reservations. If we have 7 or more on the wait list I will add another member to the teams and fill those slots from the wait list. The way this will work is that I will have the waitlist pilots register and the teams can select a pilot to fill their slot from the available pilots. After a reasonable time (arbitrarily chosen by me…) I will assign any remaining pilots to the free slots on teams.

Similarly if we have less than 7 waitlist pilots I will allow the teams to fill their 5 from the available registered initial 65 pilots. If all the slots are not full I will assign any remaining pilots to the empty slots.

As attrition happens I will assign the waitlist pilots to slots that open up in the order that they sent their waitlist request to me.

I want to be fair to those pilots that registered on time and ensure they have a place on some team…

Looks like a great event…

Jim
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Ok so all of you guys coming out for F3J this year just wanted to give everyone a heads up. That's a wrap will be serving food again this year. We will have a printed menu and a phone number to text an order to.
During f3j you will be able to text your order with lane assignment and your food will be delivered to your lane. We are trying to give the best service possible with a great product for your consumption. And if your staying for the classic dont forget to let us know if your going to purchase dinner Saturday night. Steaks are on the menu.

Joe
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
That is great Joe - thanks for arranging this...
Jim
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Geez, I just found out that by signing up an hour after the entry opened was like being late for work by a half day! The office was already filled!
Tell me about it. If Darwin had not mentioned it to me around 11:30 I would not have made it in!! I was #58!! Entered from my iPhone at a lunch meeting. Made it look like "official business!!"

Now I just a Team to join.

Quote:
Long time middle of the pack glider owner who enjoys pretending to be able to pilot radio controlled gliders in search of thermal thrills and landing points seeks to join a group of other like-minded glider guiders for fun, sun, and terror-filled launching at the F3J in the Desert in February 2013.

I am able to provide moral support, encouragment, nominal timing skills, humorously snide remarks and a generally sarcastic disposition to a Team. I can also provide financial support for the acquisition of monofilament line and post contest adult beverages. I am partial to Orange shirts and jackets and enjoy near death experiences during launch.

I have already paid for entry and I am desperate to avoid losing my substantial investment. I will have an antique overweight orange C68 Aspire to fly which will provide me with a built-in excuse for mediocre performance against the latest uber-light F3J masterpieces.

Please help if you can. I have my own stop watches and I will put new batteries in them so they run faster!!

Thanks.

Bill
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
Bill, you are coming to team F3B baby!.... as long as Tom Kiesling hasn't filled the slot yet.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Bill, you are coming to team F3B baby!.... as long as Tom Kiesling hasn't filled the slot yet.

Mike
Sorry - but I think that slot was for Gordon... At least that was what Tom told me...
Jim
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,326 Posts
Still waiting on hearing if Gordon is going or not. The Gator F3B contest is the following weekend . . .
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
He already signed up...
Jim