HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
OK, lets say I get a V911 or a pair of them. What else would he need?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Nothing else needed. But the V929 quad is still much more durable, can use MQx parts from the hobby store and will seriously out-perform any FP heli. Here's a demo:
best toy ever (multicopter) (2 min 25 sec)

I gave quads to 3 grandsons and my boss gave one to his son, all 9 to 13 years old. They were all doing flips in about 2 hours. My MQx has crashed about 200 times. Damage/maintenance so far in 5 months is two motors and a new set of orange blades.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
MOD IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Joined Jul 2009
611 Posts
Quote:
Parts.............Kato
katoace is offline Find More Posts by katoace
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:10 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Quote:
AA batteries (6) for each transmitter.

And then one or two of these (in case he does not have access to a USB port), they are $2.50 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-to-USB-Un...item4d0307d39f

I know many parents that only own one laptop, and would never let their kid charge
a helicopter off it, for fear of damaging the most expensive device they own besides a car.

A pre paid debit card for about $20 (so he could buy parts & more AA's) would complete the deal.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Nov 27, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I gave quads to 3 grandsons and my boss gave one to his son, all 9 to 13 years old. They were all doing flips in about 2 hours. My MQx has crashed about 200 times. Damage/maintenance so far in 5 months is two motors and a new set of orange blades.
OK yes, but keep in mind, this kid is entirely on his own, and his parents probably won't be helping with this. I don't think a quad copter will survive very long under those conditions, and you can't send a whole book of instructions - kid won't read it. I think the quad copters are great for people who are "in the hobby" but for a kid on his own with no help at all, I think the coaxial is as far up the difficulty scale as I'd want to go. People can fly the mCX with zero help - it is completely intuitive.

That's why I did chuck gliders for kids last year - because I wasn't going to be there to help them learn how to fly. Keep that in mind, it's critical... we don't get to meet the kids who get our gifts. (I personally find that very frustrating, but it's the way it is)

So, I don't know about V911s... they aren't as idiot-proof as the mCX.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
OK yes, but keep in mind, this kid is entirely on his own, and his parents probably won't be helping with this. I don't think a quad copter will survive very long under those conditions, and you can't send a whole book of instructions - kid won't read it. I think the quad copters are great for people who are "in the hobby" but for a kid on his own with no help at all, I think the coaxial is as far up the difficulty scale as I'd want to go. People can fly the mCX with zero help - it is completely intuitive.

That's why I did chuck gliders for kids last year - because I wasn't going to be there to help them learn how to fly. Keep that in mind, it's critical... we don't get to meet the kids who get our gifts. (I personally find that very frustrating, but it's the way it is)

So, I don't know about V911s... they aren't as idiot-proof as the mCX.
The pair of $30 Symas that I listed first would not be a terrible choice.
(A pair because they are $30, and he would have spare parts for sure)

While I would be worried about him getting bored with them in 2 hours, a broken model,
or one you don't understand how to fly is far more boring.

It's a gamble.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Nov 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
The pair of $30 Symas that I listed first would not be a terrible choice.
(A pair because they are $30, and he would have spare parts for sure)
You know they are selling those at 7-11 now... they are cheap but they are good.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Come to think of it, what is there on a quad to break, anyway?
LOL.

They could stall the motor, but the ESC should cut out.
Besides props, what breaks in a hard crash?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You know they are selling those at 7-11 now... they are cheap but they are good.
Yeah, he said he was trying to avoid cheap.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If that's beyond your price range, A WL Toys heli or quad would be very good. Despite their price they are decent quality and very durable, especially the quad:

http://www.valuehobby.com/helicopter...ansmitter.html.

http://www.valuehobby.com/multicopte...opter-rtf.html

The quad can use parts from the Blade MQx, found at your local hobby shop.
this is the best answer....in my opinion. Quads are self stabilizing, fly pretty easy, are very durible and if you can fly a Quad you can fly any coax and are well on your way to mastering a FP. I think these will capativate a 13 year old but fly them outside first, they are kind of big for house flying, they will even handle some wind.

I've purchased from Valuehobby before but did not even realize they had these quads, I've been happy with Valuehobby, better than ebay which you may have trouble dealing with defective stuff.

Anyway thanks for pointing this out, I am ashamed to say I purchased 2, one in green for my wife (who loves her walkera ladybug) and the blue one for me I wish they would work with our Devo TXs but...for $45 I couldn't pass.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Come to think of it, what is there on a quad to break, anyway?
LOL.

They could stall the motor, but the ESC should cut out.
Besides props, what breaks in a hard crash?
Sometimes you break the booms, prop shaft, gears, bearings, or the board itself. Tiny quads are fairly durable but they are not as easy to fly as coaxial helicopters, so without instruction or help, damage is much more likely with a quad. The trade off is the quad is much more fun, and deals with weather better. Coaxial helicopters don't challenge the mind very much and can't even handle the air conditioner coming on much less fly outside.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
After all this talking I think I'm just going to go to the LHS and buy a coax Blade and some spares the guy there recommends. Then if the kid needs more parts maybe he can get them there.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
I think this would be a great choice, as they can fly indoors and out. You can get one RTF, and one BNF. The BNF is for spare parts. Lastly, spare batteries. Five cost $20 on EBay. Get the 150 ma batteries. Be careful about the match, since WL toys recently changed battery types. EBAY cost, USA shipping $50 RTF, $25 BNF.

I also have a WL Toys quad (V949), but it breaks more easily and does best outside.
coolthoughts is offline Find More Posts by coolthoughts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
815 Posts
The v911 comes with 2 batteries. It also has a spare main rotor and tail rotor. Get him two more batteries (make sure the right type, there is an old type, and a new type) and he's set.
Lentar is online now Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
After all this talking I think I'm just going to go to the LHS and buy a coax Blade and some spares the guy there recommends. Then if the kid needs more parts maybe he can get them there.
Not a bad choice at all.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik