HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by iflyhelis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
I didn't know that, thanks for the info Mark! It is a good business plan for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Many times the gas company will convert just about anything that runs on LP to NG for you at no charge. It's good business for them.

mw
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
Well, the quote I was waiting for finally came through in writing. I had a verbal of $8,000. To my surprise it came in at $7,627.00 & that is a "Turn-Key" install & I don't do anything, like prepare & level the ground or pour a concrete pad. I'm happy at the price with a small company in my local area & I wanted to support the locals vs. the big box companies.

When I was speaking with this owner of the company on the phone, he was really honest & quite amusing. He said that he was talking with his Wife about this job, & said that he thought he lost it due to his honesty in the info he was giving me on the most efficient way to do the install. I told him on the phone that I am a honest person & it may hurt you sometimes, but at least you don't need to back-paddle to get out of a lie!

The info he was giving me was about how "Big-Box" companies are trying to squeeze out the little guys so they don't have any competition. And that is exactly like what they are doing when Loews & Home Depot sell these generators, they tell the install contractor what they will pay them for the install. So, if they go with the Big guys, they may get volume installs, but they don't make the profit margin they need.

I am still looking for more input from people that have either installed a generator or thinking of doing it, or any cons or pros to this discussion.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,051 Posts
LP boils at -42 F. Not much concern about "head" pressure. I live in Iowa so we get on occasion some -20/-25 weather and I've never had any concern with low pressure. I may be wrong so don't quote me on this but I think each gallon of LP will make about 160 "gallons" of vapor. 2500 BTU per cubic Ft of LP.

There are 125 gallon tanks available also. You can lease the tank from the LP company, but you are usually tied to that company to fill the tank. As much as the genset runs, you won't burn much LP. I live in the country so I contract my LP usage each year. This year it is $1.32 per gallon.

IMO LP is a very viable fuel for a gen set.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
Damn! You get LP cheap out there. Our price is over $3.65 a gallon for a BBQ tank & I am sure if it was delivered it would be around $5.00 a gallon.

The unit I was looking at uses 2.92 gallons at 50% load so at $5.00 per gallon it would cost me almost $ 15.00 per hour to run.

If I lived where you are, I would go for the LP, I am trying to go for the most convenient plus the best price for the BTU's needed in my area.

Thanks for the input, your LP pricing is excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
LP boils at -42 F. Not much concern about "head" pressure. I live in Iowa so we get on occasion some -20/-25 weather and I've never had any concern with low pressure. I may be wrong so don't quote me on this but I think each gallon of LP will make about 160 "gallons" of vapor. 2500 BTU per cubic Ft of LP.

There are 125 gallon tanks available also. You can lease the tank from the LP company, but you are usually tied to that company to fill the tank. As much as the genset runs, you won't burn much LP. I live in the country so I contract my LP usage each year. This year it is $1.32 per gallon.

Ken
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,051 Posts
And here I thought I was getting ripped off last year when I paid $1.92. LOL

Maybe a diesel powered unit??? Of course then you have to worry about fuel stability and it going stale from lack of use. I guess there just isn't a cheap way out.
Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I do have a NG unit at one of our RR offices that feeds only the essentials. Using some APC battery backups for the computers we just run right along when the power is out. I asked recently what the bill was for the time encompassing the power outage and haven't heard back. It is an Onan powered unit.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:22 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
Cost for a diesel unit was more than I wanted to pay & then storage & handling the fuel. You could probably get it cheaper if permitted as a off road fuel, no tax. But I have fueled tractors & gen-sets before & you always get some on you. So I opted for a fuel that I don't need to touch & is always there.

Quote:
And here I thought I was getting ripped off last year when I paid $1.92. LOL

Maybe a diesel powered unit??? Of course then you have to worry about fuel stability and it going stale from lack of use. I guess there just isn't a cheap way out.
Ken
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:30 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
I am not looking forward to the reset of the clocks or my TV cable box when I lose power & the switch over to generator but to use a battery backup UPS I would need at least 3 of them. Unless I can find them cheap some where, I will just live with it.

I have heard Onan to be a good brand for commercial units but residential units have had some problems, Hell they all have some sort of problem.

Too bad you couldn't get a answer on the usage for the outage, it would be nice to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I do have a NG unit at one of our RR offices that feeds only the essentials. Using some APC battery backups for the computers we just run right along when the power is out. I asked recently what the bill was for the time encompassing the power outage and haven't heard back. It is an Onan powered unit.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I am using my wife's Ipad so no clickity-click links. Sorry. I looked at generac's web site and found specs for the 8,10 & 14 kw NG gensets. I did figure at todays current gasoline and NG prices and a 50% duty cycle, my Yamaha 1.6kw will cost me about $16.00 a day where the 8kw running 24 hours at 50% load will cost me $9.42 a day. Hmmm. Got me thinking.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:06 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
I went looking for a cheaper supplier of NG & I only found one other supplier. Their price was 79 cents a therm (100 cubic feet) almost double what I pay now. I wonder where the cheapest NG is located.

I don't know where you are located, but $16.00 a day must be 4-5 gallons a day, so a one week outage would be 35 gallons needed in storage, that's a lot of gas.

The cost of the NG/LP gen-sets are cheap, it is the install that cranks the price up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I am using my wife's Ipad so no clickity-click links. Sorry. I looked at generac's web site and found specs for the 8,10 & 14 kw NG gensets. I did figure at todays current gasoline and NG prices and a 50% duty cycle, my Yamaha 1.6kw will cost me about $16.00 a day where the 8kw running 24 hours at 50% load will cost me $9.42 a day. Hmmm. Got me thinking.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:32 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
I made a mistake LP @ $1.32 a gallon and a Gen-set running at full load would be around 5 gallons a hour so around $6.50 a hour where NG is $1.23 a hour. So LP wouldn't be a good choice for me, even if I could get it at $1.32 a gallon.

Quote:
I live in the country so I contract my LP usage each year. This year it is $1.32 per gallon.

Ken
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:13 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I just checked and our rate for ccf ng is now .58 not the .51 I used for the estimate. S, make that about 11 bucks for the NG a day.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:46 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
That wouldn't be a killer for the peace of mind knowing that most of your elecrical needs are being met.

Well I think I have gotten enough info from this thread, and a few people might have also. I think it is time to close this thread.

Thanks to everybody that have replied here!
Closed Thread