HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:43 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,665 Posts
Discussion
Walmart Foam Board Plane (also my first Scratchbuild)

Well.. I went to Walmart tonight and saw that foam cardboard ($9) .. looked like Depron but felt a bit heavier.. got it anyway and spent the last 2h in my garage.

Well 2h later here is my results (see pictures). I don't have a scale that can measure the entire plane but the individual parts come to about 480gr for plane and electronics + about 250gr for the 3S 2650mAh LiPo ..

I tried to sand a semi airfoil into the foam wing and rounded all corners on the leading edges of the wing and elevator.

I plan to do a 3CH setup (Aileron/Elevator/Throttle).

Here are some details:

Length = 34 inches
Wingspan = 3ft
Weight = 250gr or 8.8oz
Weight with Electronics = 480gr or 16.9oz
Planned Takeoff weight = 730gr or 25.75oz (with LiPo)

Let me know what you think and yeah I built this from scratch - no plans - just started and see where it would go .. looks very similar to many other scratch builds.

I probably can reduce the weight if I cut the wing in a smaller form (reducing width not length) .. It's pretty large actually.

Next step is to install the electronics and make the control surfaces and then go test flying :-)

Let me know what you think.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:56 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
942 Posts
Is that the foam with card/paper on ?
It looks like a runner, hope it goes well for you
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,114 Posts
Looks good for a first scratch built !
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,829 Posts
Looks good flyandi !

How much foam board did you get at Walmart for $9? I've never shopped Walmart for foamboard, always go to DollarTree for 20x30" boards $1 each.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,665 Posts
It was a 20x30" board, too .. I just heard of Dollar Tree Foam .. I will go by there later and pick up some ... I like they have black boards, too :-)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
You could put another layer of foam board on the top of the wing, from the LE to 50% chord, to form a KFM2 airfoil step.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,665 Posts
Yeah I was thinking doing that. I was reading about this before and it seems to make a huge difference ...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:34 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,095 Posts
That wing looks like it is only foam board with no spar or other reinforcement. If this is true then it will almost certainly fold within the first few flights. It needs either a good spar or struts to significantly increase the strength. The spar could be a carbon fiber tube from the local hobby shop, or a carbon fiber arrow shaft from the sporting goods department. Struts could be wood: 1/8" x 3/8" strip or 1/4" dowel from the bottom of the fuselage to a little more than half way out the wing panel.

While we are at it, the vertical fin may be adequate, but I think that it is a bit small.

Making the wing smaller to reduce weight is a losing proposition. The wing is what does the real work to make the plane fly and making it smaller will increase the wing loading and reduce the speed range of the plane. Stall speed will be faster and top speed probably a bit slower.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:40 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,665 Posts
Thanks for the tips .. yeah I will keep the wing size .. and I agree the vertical fin turned out to be a bit small... however I will give it a try.

The wing actually has two carbon fiber spars on the bottom - I didn't take a picture of the bottom. Also I plan to reinforce the ailerons with carbon fiber.

The carbon fiber arrow is good idea - never thought about that!

Thanks,

Andy
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
The foamboard at Dollar Tree is virtually identical to the higher priced foamboard at WalMart, and at $1 a sheet is a lot better deal.

I would highly recommend you check out the Foamboard Scratchbuilt University, one of the tacked threads at the top of this forum. Its all about how to work with the foamboard, and a basic setup of several different models based on that. The whole thing is to take some of his ideas and techniques and improvise, the sky is the limit!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587275

The model below is a Noob built with foamboard using the Foamboard University techniques.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Last edited by Wingman26; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
And if none of the other options are what you're looking for, there's always the Armin!

the Armin Wing: part 3 - Forming and Gluing the Wing (5 min 54 sec)
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,596 Posts
I haven't seen the Wal-Mart foam, but if it is like depron I'd skip reinforcing the ailerons.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
I've never reinforced the ailerons when using the Dollar Tree foamboard. I had bought some of the WalMart foamboard before for another project, same thing as the Dollar Tree except for the higher price. The WalMart foamboard I got was Elmer's brand, but both are made in USA.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26