HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Mar 2006
775 Posts
Discussion
Helimax 1SQ Quad VS Walkera Ladybird

Ok, curiosity was killing me. Really i wanted to know if the lid would fit and i wanted to test the HM TX.

The HM quad looks extremely similar to the LB in size and design.
The HM canopy will fit the LB. I have heat shrink on my arms to cover my LED wires so it was a tight fit but worked.

The props on the HM are a little stiffer and made of a different material. Not sure that matters.

Arms on the HM are the same size OD but are a fuzz longer.

Boards and frames are similar and i think the HM could have LED wires soldered to the board easily where the two aux plugs are at on the LB.
The battery area on the HM is smaller than the LB so only my 240 stock LB lipo fit. My ebay 350mah lipos did not. Bummed me out...But that area had wider bracing than the LB frame.

Flight times between the two are the same. Big difference are the stock TX. The 2402D has only trim and if you flip the aux on in the menu it has softer controls. The HM TX has gain adjustments (if i am wording that correctly) and to swap from mode to mode for flipping it is a simple push of a stick. The LB you have to move the right stock 4 times in a specific sequence. It is not hard, but not able to be done on the fly...
I will say the Devo TX does feel smoother when moving the sticks flying. One more thing i forgot, rudder on the HM is a lot faster than the LB. I did like that.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Last edited by muck76; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
Ok, curiosity was killing me. Really i wanted to know if the lid would fit and i wanted to test the HM TX.

The HM quad looks extremely similar to the LB in size and design.
The HM canopy will fit the LB. I have heat shrink on my arms to cover my LED wires so it was a tight fit but worked.

The props on the HM are a little stiffer and made of a different material. Not sure that matters.

Arms on the HM are the same size OD but are a fuzz longer.

Boards and frames are similar and i think the HM could have LED wires soldered to the board easily where the two aux plugs are at on the LB.
The battery area on the HM is smaller than the LB so only my 240 stock LB lipo fit. My ebay 350mah lipos did not. Bummed me out...But that area had wider bracing than the LB frame.

Flight times between the two are the same. Big difference are the stock TX. The 2402D has only trim and if you flip the aux on in the menu it has softer controls. The HM TX has gain adjustments (if i am wording that correctly) and to swap from mode to mode for flipping it is a simple push of a stick. The LB you have to move the right stock 4 times in a specific sequence. It is not hard, but not able to be done on the fly...
I will say the Devo TX does feel smoother when moving the sticks flying. One more thing i forgot, rudder on the HM is a lot faster than the LB. I did like that.
Nice! I'm curious about the differences as well. I have the 1SQ.
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:27 AM
Where rubber meets the ROCK
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
im realy wanting one of these now. wonder how it stands compared to the blade mxq (get the right?) and the new traxxas hubsan rip off (though I would rather get the traxxas than the hubsan for the easy parts support and it does include two batteries)
sixshooterstang is offline Find More Posts by sixshooterstang
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Mar 2006
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooterstang View Post
im realy wanting one of these now. wonder how it stands compared to the blade mxq (get the right?) and the new traxxas hubsan rip off (though I would rather get the traxxas than the hubsan for the easy parts support and it does include two batteries)
i may grab a traxxas quad just to compare.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,245 Posts
Quote:
It's certainly an opinion of choice for what works best for you. I have owned the mqx, ladybird and 1sq and find the 1sq so far to be my favorite. The mqx does well and is a little larger, but I prefer the direct drive of the ladybird and 1sq over the gear driven mqx. Less parts to wear out/break means less parts to replace and direct drive is just much more responsive. Still to this day can't figure out why HH thinks everything the come out with in the 1s micro world has to be gear driven.

Anyway, the ladybird/1sq are neck in neck for me as they both fly awesome. Haven't flown an x4 yet, but have heard some really great things from people I really trust their input here on the forums

@Muck76, great pics!
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Quote:
The Traxxas is not a clone or a copy, it's a licensed variant of the Hubsan.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2009
488 Posts
arent they exactly the same except the colors? All parts should be interchangeable
Jetboatftw is offline Find More Posts by Jetboatftw
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
The Traxxas is not a clone or a copy, it's a licensed variant of the Hubsan.
indeed, Traxxas QR-1 is not a clone or copy of Hubsan X4 H107.
I think Traxxas QR-1 is Hubsan X4 H107 with customized accessories, different selling package and of course higher price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatftw View Post
arent they exactly the same except the colors? All parts should be interchangeable
i guess so

somebody who own both might be able to compare the boards (fcb and tx board)
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:30 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
They are the same... open the Traxxas tx and you'll see hubsans name
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:48 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Helimax 1Sq and Nine Eagles Alien lipo polarity cautions 101

Hi M,
Nice review and comparison of the Helimax 1Sq aka Nine Eagles Alien vs. the Walkera QR Ladybird V1. I just got the Helimax with the Anylink to test using a Futaba 9c Tx. I use a Walkera DEVO10 when I fly the Ladybird which still comes out to be the top performer for flight in wind and hover. There is one important thing to add to this review. The lipo polarity for the Helimax SQ1/Nine Eagles Alien is reversed from the Ladybird and many other micro multicopters. Be extremely cautious as plugging in the wrong lipo will damage the flight controller. If you do have several different micro multicopters, I strongly recommend carefully making the Helimax/Nine Eagles micros polarity the same as the Ladybird on the OEM Helimax/Nine Eagles lipo and filght controller to prevent the inevitable lipo mistake and the resulting board damage.

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Mar 2006
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi M,
Be extremely cautious as plugging in the wrong lipo will damage the flight controller. If you do have several different micro multicopters, I strongly recommend carefully making the Helimax/Nine Eagles micros polarity the same as the Ladybird on the OEM Helimax/Nine Eagles lipo and filght controller to prevent the inevitable lipo mistake and the resulting board damage.

[/SIZE][/U][/B]Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Thanks Jim, I agree the LB is a top notch micro quad.
Thanks for the larger foot note on the polarity. I had to swap the HM back to stock polarity when i sold it last month as i changed it to match the LB.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:39 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
... The mqx does well and is a little larger, but I prefer the direct drive of the ladybird and 1sq over the gear driven mqx. Less parts to wear out/break means less parts to replace and direct drive is just much more responsive. Still to this day can't figure out why HH thinks everything the come out with in the 1s micro world has to be gear driven.
Two nice things about mQx's gear drive:
1. larger props = easier to see orientation: especially with some orange props on, it is much easier for me to tell the orientation of an mQx from afar than with the smaller direct drive props. This is especially important on a not so great flip recovery, when the quad has altered its orientation randomly a bit and is flying off in a random direction

2. can fly on weaker batteries: cold weather is not kind to small Lipos. I find that when I have some not so strong battery, that same battery will fly an mQx better than something like a Ladybird/1SQ size (despite that an mQx is over twice the weight of a Ladybird/1SQ). My guess is that because of the gearing, the mQx motors generate a lot more lift force for the same amount of power.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
i agree the 1sq looks cooler than the ladybird. I want the 1sq. I am a newb and have the devo 7e. Can i just buy the ladybird and 1sq canopy alone and be good?
erikjackson is offline Find More Posts by erikjackson
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:37 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
244 Posts
Yep you sure can. I agree the 1sq looks way cooler!
ogrope1 is offline Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Apr 08, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjackson View Post
i agree the 1sq looks cooler than the ladybird. I want the 1sq. I am a newb and have the devo 7e. Can i just buy the ladybird and 1sq canopy alone and be good?
Yes the 1sQ lid fits the LB.
My suggestion if you buy a LB would be to find a V1. If you can afford two, get two. One for parts.
Otherwise Nitroplanes has the v2 with a nice lid similar to the Hoten X.