Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:51 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Nice looking engines there, nothing too special on my end but I have taken a shine to the Blink plan... looks quirky and quick which is a good combo in my books!

Seeing as I have two good engines I will probably do an own-design for the second, most likely small thin fuse and high aspect ratio wings for speed coupled with a long streamlined tail to help keep the drag down.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:36 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Joined Aug 2007
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
Try here, post #43:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._2/key_/tm.htm

A GLH will probably be faster than the Hummer, especially if you drop the percentage on the airfoil.

If you're really adventurous, the attached pdf's will set you free.
Sorry, guys I īve a question. The BLINK PLAN. has it have a rudder? Is it the triangle part? Does anybody have a photo of the finished model ?(Sorry for my bad english)
Cheers, Paul.
Paul Bonati is offline Find More Posts by Paul Bonati
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:15 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,582 Posts
This is not mine.

Here ya go:
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Joined Aug 2007
348 Posts
Thanks a lot Andrew.
Cheers, Paul.
Paul Bonati is offline Find More Posts by Paul Bonati
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,286 Posts
Was just checking a mag. from 1967 in RC Modeler and came across this. I think the reedie may be a bit underpowered, but will try to load it anyway.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,582 Posts
Here's a copy of the Pipsqueek plans cleaned up a bit.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Looks good guys, although built around somewhat dated components. I do see that its using a NACA 0015 airfoil though which is a good thing!

Could be a good candidate for modern 9g servos and 4g receivers I reckon... lighten her right up and make a speed demon out of her

- boingk

EDIT: Decided to build the Blink this morning. Time 9:30am... lets get her done by lunchtime!
Last edited by boingk; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,883 Posts
Thinnest airfoils are fastest SD 008? perhaps.
Flat plate/sheet ones, albeit thin, give serious drag at even miniscule Alpha.
Those only look fast :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,179 Posts
If you're looking for thin airfoils, here you go.....
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1184
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Here we go guys, looking alright so far?

- boingk
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,582 Posts
Looks great!!!!

If you're going to really horse it around, you might want to add spar webs in the inner bay -- gives a lot of structural support with hardly any weight penalty. Depending on what you choose, the covering will also really stiffen it up.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Apr 2004
125 Posts
Bede 5

Here is my next build. The article says it's fast and agile, we'll see. I just like the way it looks. Very low parts count, solid balsa wing, should be a quick build
Chap
Chap is offline Find More Posts by Chap
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks Andrew! The tail is only propped up in position for that photo but you get the idea. One question though - I've been removing the rea rventuri setup of my non-tanked Cox engines for a while now, and simply leaving a 1/4" air channel top and bottom. Doesn't seem to hurt them and makes mounting easy. Do you think this would be an issue?

Chap - As a pilot I'd love to fly a BD5... awesome reputation as very well performing aircraft. I believe one of the few reasons there aren't more of them is simply because the engine they were designed around went out of production! Would love to see a scale model zipping around. Let us know how you go.

On control for the Blink, I'll be using a 6ch OrangeRx receiver with 2 x 9g HK15168 servos for control. Can't wait to get her covered and maidened!

Cheers - boingk
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Chap - As a pilot I'd love to fly a BD5... awesome reputation as very well performing aircraft. I believe one of the few reasons there aren't more of them is simply because the engine they were designed around went out of production! Would love to see a scale model zipping around. Let us know how you go.
Cheers - boingk
Careful what you wish for.. these were Proven Dawg airplanes
Frightening Stall characteristics, only partially cured by a fresh Aerofoil redesign. Most survivors remain as half built 'kits' despite a seemingly endless succession of Owners.
Dave Blum posted Very Good ( in design, construction and Flying ability).. plans for a Scale BD5 of suitable size (electric tho)
Still available.. If you hunt around a bit.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
One question though - I've been removing the rea rventuri setup of my non-tanked Cox engines for a while now, and simply leaving a 1/4" air channel top and bottom. Doesn't seem to hurt them and makes mounting easy. Do you think this would be an issue?

On control for the Blink, I'll be using a 6ch OrangeRx receiver with 2 x 9g HK15168 servos for control. Can't wait to get her covered and maidened!
boingk --

That tube is there just to give folks a means of choking the engine and pulling fuel up to the spray bar. It works the same as holding your finger over the carb intake on crank induction engines. In some cases, you may actually find a slight performance increase by removing it.

There are two things to consider. After removing the choke tube, make sure the mounting screws don't bottom out in the case before tightening up -- the ears on the tube are almost 1/16" thick and a lot of the Surestart cases are not drilled and tapped deeply enough to accomodate the additional screw length. Secondly, the needle is quite long and will be unsupported. You might want to slip a length of fuel tubing over the needle to soften harmonic vibration or, better yet, cut it back and recap it. Because that needle has a step on it just above the threads, another option is to remove the spring, slip a small flat washer over the threaded portion so that it sits flush against the step, then add a section of tubing over the threaded portion. The washer will keep the tubing compressed against the top of the NV, stop any air leaks and help support the lower end for vibration control.

The OrangeRX is really a great buy. They're available in the US warehouse for $6.19 --- really hard to beat that price for a DSM2 RX.
Last edited by Andrew0820; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM.