HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:14 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
Sorry about turning down the mic on the flyoffs. At that time I was a bit stressed in getting ready as we had to get a good winch set up on short notice and I had zero spare time available to do anything other than get everything ready, and to get my head in the right place for some REAL flying!
No worries Joe. I was standing right there watching you work feverishly to get ready. I felt uneasy to ask about getting mic up but hey, I had an audience to capture . I totally understand being in the right mindset for the finals so no need to apologize for that. Not all was lost though as I did still manage to mic Peter up for your last round and it was good audio comments as well!

On a side note, all those that get a chance to hear the audio from the pilots during the finals, it's an ear clearing experience. Imagine if one was able to hear those comments while flying... it would be golden, hmmm....
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:52 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2005
1,126 Posts
Times

Wow!

Line judge.

Several times seconds away from perfect!

And inches away from a nail. Amazing flying!
clearvisionscott is offline Find More Posts by clearvisionscott
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,121 Posts
hoping that the wind forecast is wrong in a good way today

great day of flying yesterday, Topaz has never been so high

Philip
pocket rocket is offline Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
AZ thermal junkie
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Jun 2011
39 Posts
What Scott Said!

I was pressed into Line Judge duty yesterday and I must have said, "WoW!" a hundred times. I personally signed two or more time-cards with perfect times and a few 100pt landings too.
The last round had some impressive saves. I don't know how many people saw Skip Miller get low beyond the trees in the North East corner and stick with what lift was there to pull off a great flight. He was just a ways farther out than Joe W and in the same bind.

Didn't take much time for photos, but here are a few.

Terrill

P.S. The two hawks stayed around for quite a while.
TDWillard is offline Find More Posts by TDWillard
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Mar 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
A glorious day of soaring today! We flew 6 rounds, one more than was scheduled. They added one round today as the forecast for tomorrow does not look so nice... The contest organizers have run the event very efficiently, one does not have much time to rest before flying again, especially if one flies in more than one class.

On a personal note, I was lucky to have quite a few flights with more than an abundance of lift. On one flight I had to use full flaps for about four minutes to get down, about two of those minutes I was diving almost vertical in order to get down on time. This was balanced by my last flight in the unlimited class, where I got in serious trouble (wrong side of the trees to the south, lower than the trees a few hundred meters away) before finding the lucky hand launch height thermal. It turned out that on one side of the field it was entirely sink, and the other side was entirely lift. Kinda wierd in that I had no clue about this prior to the launch (this is very unusual for me!). The save goes with my motto "I'd rather be lucky than good"... I got lucky on that save!

The landing tape is very tight. The 100 pt is about a 5" radius, with 5 pt decrements at about 6" increments from this. My guess was that it would take about a 90 pt avg landing to win. So far I've been very fortunate and have been above this average so far.
Thanks for the update Joe...wish I were there...Perhaps next year. Full flaps for 4 min! Love it!!!!
Rick Pearson
GotLift9369 is offline Find More Posts by GotLift9369
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,575 Posts
Watching the golf in Marana and the wind is howling, what is on site like?

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
This was balanced by my last flight in the unlimited class, where I got in serious trouble (wrong side of the trees to the south, lower than the trees a few hundred meters away) before finding the lucky hand launch height thermal. It turned out that on one side of the field it was entirely sink, and the other side was entirely lift. Kinda wierd in that I had no clue about this prior to the launch (this is very unusual for me!). The save goes with my motto "I'd rather be lucky than good"... I got lucky on that save!
I was timing another pilot, and watching your flight at the same time. Your plane appeared to be circling at more or less constant height, barely visible over the treetops, and it took many agonizing seconds before it plane slowly started moving upward again. Nice save!

My pilot hit that nasty sink and went down like a rock.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Today
SAM 7312 (0 min 41 sec)
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:20 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Anyone have the scores/results??
I know it might be a little early.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Mar 2009
76 Posts
RCGEORGE: Great video! We visited the field at 8 am and decided to head for Tucson instead of breaking more wings...
On the way down Hwy 87, we encountered a "Team of Tumble weeds" blocking the road, finally broken up by a semi that could care less about their formation...
JRinAZ&MN is offline Find More Posts by JRinAZ&MN
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:20 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
SAM 7253 (1 min 34 sec)
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
SAM 7281 (0 min 37 sec)