HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2003
894 Posts
I don't know if anyone is coming in early and not flying in the J event, but if you are and want to help out, our CD Phil Renaud could use a little help Thur/Fri...

Thanks if you can - let me know...
Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Jim, I am here now in the Teton rv, with Mt plates, I can help with anything you need... come on over and let me know or I will check back here. Keith
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2003
894 Posts
Hi Keith - that is super. I know Phil can use some help on the flight line. It looks like Wed is going to be a washout/blowout. I'm hoping for enough of a break to get the field set up. The rest of the weekend looks great though.

If I don't find you before Thurs AM - look for us at the pilots meeting at 7:30.

Thanks - Jim
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:38 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Copy Jim, will do. Ill look for you to see if you need any set up help as well.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2003
894 Posts
Thanks - the boys got the lanes set out today. I will need to get the CD tent and the sound system set up. Based on the rain forecast - that will likely happen early on Thur.

Jim
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,075 Posts
Spent last weekend throwing planes into the air and I'm looking forward to having the winches do the work this weekend at the South West Classic TD Contest.

3 classes to fly so I'm going to be busy.

Snowing here in SE AZ but it'll be great by Saturday

thanks in advance to all of the CASL boys who'll be running the winches and retrievers

Philip
SAGE President
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:49 PM
AZ thermal junkie
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Jun 2011
39 Posts
Newb

I am new to soaring. Are visitors allowed at the SWC? If so, are there fees, and can I do anything (volunteer, time, etc...)?

Hope to be out on Saturday!

Terrill
TDWillard is offline Find More Posts by TDWillard
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:56 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
555 Posts
Come on out! No charge. But, you can buy tickets for the raffle

Plenty of places to help. Introduce yourself, and we can find you something to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDWillard View Post
I am new to soaring. Are visitors allowed at the SWC? If so, are there fees, and can I do anything (volunteer, time, etc...)?

Hope to be out on Saturday!

Terrill
glasairIII is online now Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:05 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,075 Posts
getting dark now but the CASL boys have been busy setting up winches, retrievers, batteries, chargers, generators, line, turnarounds, etc that make up a TD contest.

ready for tomorrow !!

and what about that CMo in F3J today !! 2nd place behind Joe Wurtz ( now why does that sound somewhat familiar ??)

Philip
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:16 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Any updates?
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:43 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,600 Posts
A few photos

Too busy making a bunch of very crappy arrivals in 4 classes to take any more.
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:04 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Any updates?
A glorious day of soaring today! We flew 6 rounds, one more than was scheduled. They added one round today as the forecast for tomorrow does not look so nice... The contest organizers have run the event very efficiently, one does not have much time to rest before flying again, especially if one flies in more than one class.

On a personal note, I was lucky to have quite a few flights with more than an abundance of lift. On one flight I had to use full flaps for about four minutes to get down, about two of those minutes I was diving almost vertical in order to get down on time. This was balanced by my last flight in the unlimited class, where I got in serious trouble (wrong side of the trees to the south, lower than the trees a few hundred meters away) before finding the lucky hand launch height thermal. It turned out that on one side of the field it was entirely sink, and the other side was entirely lift. Kinda wierd in that I had no clue about this prior to the launch (this is very unusual for me!). The save goes with my motto "I'd rather be lucky than good"... I got lucky on that save!

The landing tape is very tight. The 100 pt is about a 5" radius, with 5 pt decrements at about 6" increments from this. My guess was that it would take about a 90 pt avg landing to win. So far I've been very fortunate and have been above this average so far.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:22 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Thank you Joe! Also ty for lending me the newest jr wing servos to test! They do look very promising. Snd ty for agreeing to be mic'd up in the day 1 j prelims. Got some good soundbites from You!
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Thank you Joe! Also ty for lending me the newest jr wing servos to test! They do look very promising. Snd ty for agreeing to be mic'd up in the day 1 j prelims. Got some good soundbites from You!
Sorry about turning down the mic on the flyoffs. At that time I was a bit stressed in getting ready as we had to get a good winch set up on short notice and I had zero spare time available to do anything other than get everything ready, and to get my head in the right place for some REAL flying!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:02 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Joe, that save was unbelivable! Fantastic save. Very inspiring to watch such a great piece of piloting. Highlight of my trip. Wow!