Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Contest
25th Annual Southwest Classic Contest Feb 23rd and 24th

25th Annual Southwest Classic 2013

Central Arizona Soaring League (CASL) is proud to announce the 2013 Southwest Classic, on February 23rd and 24th, at Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek, Arizona. There will be a F3J contest on the 21st and 22nd as well. Please save the dates as you donít want to miss this event!

Contest director for this event will be: Iain Glithero
Co-contest director for this event will be: John Armstrong

Registration will we provided by: http://www.rcsoaring.com/ Registration is now open. Registration will close on the 11th of February.

We will only allow one person per channel on 72mhz. There will not be an impound for radios.

ē February 21st and 22nd F3J in the Desert (two day contest) Registration: f3xevents.com

ē February 23rd and 24th Thermal Duration (pilots meeting 8:30 am, first flight 9:00am)

AMA rule 5.2.a & 5.2.b in effect: Each contestant shall be limited to two models per class. Either model may be flown at anytime throughout the contest at the discretion of the competitor.

Classes flown during the contest will be: Open, 2M, RES, Woody, Ales

Saturday tasks: 6min, 8min, 10min, 10min, 10min, 8min (sixth round to be decided by C.D.)
Sunday tasks: 6min, 8min, 10min, 5 minute (fourth round to be decided by C.D.)
Landing task? Show up to find out
Contest will be completed by 12:30 pm on Sunday.

Awards and raffle after contest is complete.

Price for Thermal Duration:
$50.00 First class (includes temporary membership)
$30.00 each additional class
$25.00 for youth and $15.00 for each additional class

Camping is allowed on-site for an extra fee on $25.00 for dry and $35.00 for wet per night starting on Wednesday, first come first serve. Camping fee paid directly to CASL during Registration for SWC.

Saturday evening Banquet dinner! Provided by Thats A Wrap
Hosted by Joe Wydronek. On the menu will be a Steak dinner with a baked potato and one additional side item. Price will be $18 per person.
Contact Joe to arrange your dinner and payment.
Note: Please pay at the event on saturday morning, or send payment for the dinner to:

Joe Wydronek

5453 south dove creek

Buckeye AZ 85326

We've made arrangements for group rates at a couple of the local Hotels. See the listings below.

Best Western Legacy Inn in Gilbert
Phone: 480-457-8181 or 877-210-4009
Rate: $99 per night if you use group code AZSOAR
Link: http://www.bestwesternlegacyinn.com/

DoubleTree Hilton in Gilbert
Phone: 480-809-4100 or 800-222-TREE
Rate: $129 per night if you use group code CAZ
Link: http://www.doubletreephoenixgilbert.com/
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII
Last edited by glasairIII; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:31 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Just a little heads up on dinner this year.

We are going to be trying very hard to get a head count prior to the event on everyone looking to enjoy our BBQ. If you are going to be dining with us all we ask is you let us know. Everyone can pay at the field for there meal and we also accept credit cards at the event for food.
We will also be putting together a printed menu. You will be able to text your order in and give a time you want to pick up the order. Also during F3J you will be able to text your order in with your lane number and get your food delivered to you.
we are trying to do everything in our power to make your experience with us the best around.

Thanks in advance
Joe wydronek
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
Poolman
United States, NJ, Wenonah
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
I was thinking about flying to pheonix from philadelphia...has anyone ever shipped there equipment or carried on airplane with them....anyone? Help
paulsullivan is offline Find More Posts by paulsullivan
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,915 Posts
Paul,

You'll never get the planes carried on....wayyy too big for that. But you can ship them as sporting gear on many carriers. I use a Sport tube, which is made for skies and snowboards and some air carriers may not charge to check them in. Last time I shipped to Florida from California, it cost me an extra $50.00 each way, which is a bit more than Fed-Ex. Whatever you do, do not tell the airline to fly it as freight. Very costly!

Mike L
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:16 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,781 Posts
Any F3K activities planned? Am considering making the journey to attend... been a while since I've been to a SWR.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:01 AM
Original Bloody Spadder
phoenix
Joined Jul 2004
1,167 Posts
Joe we tried a f3k event last year it was just a too busy schedule so we opted out on f3k this year. f3j on thurs -fri. and classic on sat- sun. hope you can make it . the next weekend is the arizona open 2 day event feb 23rd and 25th john
proppy jon is offline Find More Posts by proppy jon
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Date changes

We have had to change the dates for the Southwest classic.

Due to circumstances beyond our control the field has become unavailable for the dates we had planned. We have re-scheduled the contest to the 23rd and 24th of February. With the F3J contest moved to the 21st and 22nd of February.

We hope that this hasnít caused too much of an issue in travel, and vacation plans.

Sincerely,

The CASL board.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:39 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,285 Posts
Cool. Now I can do the F3J in the desert on Thursday & Friday then scoot on up to SVF for the pattern contest on Saturday & Sunday. Even get some practice flight in with the pattern plane!! Plus I will be home for both Valentines Day & the Spousal Unit's Birthday (2/16).

Now I just need to find a F3J Team looking for a pilot (I do a reasonable impersonation of a pilot when I have to!!).

Winner-winner chicken dinner!!!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:16 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
308 Posts
The entry form is now online at www.rcsoaring.com

This year CASL also features an ALES class and T-shirts & polo shirts in white or grey color.

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
Any F3K activities planned? Am considering making the journey to attend... been a while since I've been to a SWR.
Joe, for some F3K action pop over to San Felasco the weekend before, this time of year the grass is shorter and the weather a bit more pleasant than the last time you were here. http://sanfelascosoaring.com/sanfela....com/Home.html
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Can't wait for February to get her. Five rounds on Saturday with a possible sixth. Lots and lots of flying. Come on and get signed up guys. Oh and don't forget to get your name on the list for the BBQ on Saturday night. Looks lime my wife is going to make a dessert for everyone who buys a steak.

Joe
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
308 Posts
Since this is the 25th Anniversary Southwest Classic, special shirts will be available.

Shirt sales will close around at the beginning of February to ensure that they are ready for the contest.

Here is the link: www.rcsoaring.com/casl2013.htm

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,426 Posts
Can I buy a shirt even if I'm not staying for the SWC?

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Yes. Just fill out the online registration, and order the shirt only. Course, we'd rather you'd stay for the whole event.

Steve Willcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Can I buy a shirt even if I'm not staying for the SWC?

Tom
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Little over a month left. Can't wait to see everyone out there for what is going to be a great event.

Joe