HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:23 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
THANKs TO ALL WHO HELPED ME, HORNET FLYING VERY GOOD ON FIRST FLIGHTS

my hornet is flying...thanks to everyone who helped me...I am getting a bit of wobble whith the gyro at 45 when it has some wind from the side so I 'll have to dail in some i guess but other than that it hover's really rock solid. I have three flights on it (never flown a heli before outside fms ) and i manage to get a good 7 minutes hover ...then i land to cool down then another 5 minutes..then recharge.

It is setup in the famous eric L. layout...tailservo all the way at the back, etech1200 3cell all the way upfront. Gy240, speed 300, hs50's, pixie 7amp and a funky trainer landing gear.

I have had some problems with the tailboom...I crushed it overtightening the nuts and had to remove the bearings .It now sits upside down so the crushed carbon doesn't really matter anymore. I fitted 2 center bearings (2.5 euro's for standerd rc car 6mm2mm bearings) in a non symmetrical way to dampen harmonics. I think the result is a rock solid tail (offcourse i haven't got a clue as to how a rock solid tail looks like other then that i think mine is because it doesn't move)

I AM REALLY HAPPY WITH IT AND i THINK I AM THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE THAT DIDNT KNoW ANYTHING ABOUT HELIS...but still managed to get the hornet stable ON THE FIRST FLIGHT thanks to all the help out on the internet. Do not hesitate to buy the hornet (especially since the hornet II is easier)

I hope to be flying inverted within a month or so

THANKs TO EVERYONE THAT HAS HELPED ME OUT OVER THE LAST TWO MONTHS
mattijs321 is offline Find More Posts by mattijs321
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:27 AM
New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2003
117 Posts
Well congratulations. Sounds like your off to a good start. Took me MUCH longer than that to learn to hover.
Good luck,
nspark
N.H.
nspark is offline Find More Posts by nspark
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:58 AM
dennis4987
Junction City, Oregon
Joined May 2003
169 Posts
mattijs321

Glad you got it flying.

Here is a tip on how to fix that pesky problem with screwing the set screw in to far on the tail boom and going all the way through it.

Whenever you have the tail boom off, take it down to your local Archery shop and find an arrow shaft that will fit nicely inside the tail boom. Take it home and cut off about 1/2 inch piece and install inside the boom where the set screw hits and that will prevent the set screw from punching a hole in your tail boom and weakening it.

......L8tr...........Dennis
dennis@deetee is offline Find More Posts by dennis@deetee
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:20 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
thanks dennis, I already did some improvising on my own before I took the boom and mounted it upside down. I put two extra tailslider bearings that I had laying around and glued them were the bolts would go in...Sadly I glued them in not far enough.

Another thing, yesterday there was almost no wind and the tail seemed superlocked, today there was a bit of wind (7 mph or so)

It made hovering very difficult and I had some panic attacks when it went down or went up very fast....

What struck me was that the tail wasn't as stable as yesterday. Even with 10 procent gyro gain less it still started wobbling from left to right about 7 cm when it was blown upon from an angle.
I geuss that's what really renders a tail rocksolid or not.

Now i think it's time to start greasing it up (currently the only grease that's on it is sawing machine oil from my mother )
To try to get the tail to perform better when there is wind.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:51 PM
dennis4987
Junction City, Oregon
Joined May 2003
169 Posts
Consider using " White Lithium Grease Only " to lubricate the tail slider that moves back and forth on the tail output shaft. It really is the only lube that works well back there. We found folks saying they had immediate positve results when using it.

.....L8tr..........Dennis
dennis@deetee is offline Find More Posts by dennis@deetee
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
I know...I've read all about it

Problem is I have no clue where to get it other then in your store and i because i live in europe i am holding off on doing my first order with you.

I will probably be buying LITHIUM GREASE, a hacker, phoenix , swash ball mod, and some stuff to start optimizing the tail...I am flying 2 days and already i feel the need to start buying upgrades

I'll probably crash it soon (because today i was way to cocky and already had some 'harder' landings....) and that'll probably be when i'll sent an order...so I can get the broken parts and the upgrades at the same time to minimize the shipping costs.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:41 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
It's about time

Aren't you glad you took the time to make the tail work?!

I did post some cheap parts in for sale that may assist you, fins/skids/CF/...

-P
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Dec 12, 2003, 01:37 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
well i am glad i got persuaded into building it (it also helped seeing a pic pro having so much trouble turning in one direction when the rotor is freeloading). Now I really want to make it perfect as i don't think it mine currently is any good (the infamous wobble). As I said i only noticed the wobble yesterday as I waqsflying with a bit of side winds....BUT I am determined to make it stick and by no means am I getting frustrated with it (yet)...like so many.

I also plan no only buying upgrades that are worth it 100 procent...like the swash ball for instance...no bling bling !

I gonna buy me a second battery (kokam high discharge 1200 3cell , because somehow etechs aren't sold where i live i think)later today s I can get them flying hours up. Damn MKII hobbico takes ages to charge a 1.2Ah pack