HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 59er9er, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2012
111 Posts
Discussion
Fun with the Super Cub

Name: IMG_1227.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 182.7 KB
Description:
Yesterday I took the Super Cub out for it's 3rd flight. But first I should probably write about this Cub. It started out as a BNF model with a bad Rx/ESC module. it shipped in excellent condition WITH the aerial drop module. I put in an Orange R610, Turnigy 30A ESC, and 3" Du-Bro low bounce wheels since I'd be primarily flying out of a grass field.

First hand launch resulted in a harsh wheel landing then it nosed over. Lost one of the stock plastic wheel nuts so I fabricated a temporary nut out of some brass tubing, which turned out to be a mistake. I was much more aggressive with the second hand launch, giving it a harder push and at a higher angle of attack and voila she was off. During that maiden flight the brass nut let go and the cub dropped the Du-Bro, never to be found again. I flew her for a few more minutes, practicing final approaches knowing that the landing would be harsh with only 2 wheels. I put her down nice and soft, without any visible bending to the landing gear. First impressions were that she's a nice slow flyer, which makes it fun to fly her into the wind achieving nearly 0MPH ground speed.

Prior to the second flight I bought 3" Du-Bro foam wheels, much lighter than the low bounce. I also moved the clevises in on both control horns. This resulted in slightly better control response. Still not entirely happy with it, I switched to high rate on the DX5e and I was starting to really have fun flying in the 8 mph winds. I was able to acheive very nice slow approaches to landing but the gusty conditions and the grass field resulted in slow touchdowns that would nose over then back on all three wheels. I did manage to damage the cowling on one of the hand launches (gotta remember to launch with my left hand so that I can give it up elevator immediately.)

Prior to the third flight I aligned the main gear (I gave her slight toe-in) and moved the clevises in to the third holes on the control horns. I also found a new place to fly, complete with a closed road. Perfect for ROG takeoffs. Winds were about 3 MPH. I started the day on high rate. She's finally flying the way I want her to, with the amount of control authority I expected (the only other RC plane experience I have is flying my son's Firebird Stratos.) I really enjoyed ROG takeoffs, landings, loops, tight turns. I'll fly her a few more times like this then it's time for the flaperon mod. I really want to do the flaperon mods so that I can get lively roll rates but also achieve ultra slow approaches for short landings. Can't wait for the weekend.
59er9er is offline Find More Posts by 59er9er
Last edited by 59er9er; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts