SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Mini-Review
UDI U816 micro quadcopter

Thanks to TMart.com I received a new micro quad in the mail last week (link here) and after being sick all week and having nothing to do but play with this little guy I decided to post up my review.

lets start with a few pictures
PICS

The package includes the quad, a Mode 2 transmitter, a dual port USB charger(charges both batteries at same time or seperate), two 1S 3.7V 250mah lipo battery, and a set of replacement blades.

great idea for 2 batteries and a dual charger.

the body is a harder abs plastic instead of lexan

the extra plug not being used works in conjunction with the top right button on the tx to turn on/off lights if you add them yourself.

Overview
This little quad took a small time to get used to as i have not flown anything this small. But after getting used to the throttle (very small movements make a big diffrence) I have been having a lot of fun with the U816. It has a button on the tx that makes it do a roll

to the side very quickly it also has a button for low or high rates. Low rates are a little low for my liking but the high rate is nice and mellow to fly around on not to easy or to hard to fly it seems to be the right median for a beginer but allows for a lot of control

when outdoors. the flip feature is cool but it only rolled one way with the button they say to use in the manual.I did notice however that there are 2 buttons on the tx that are not in the manual. both buttons are located on the top of the tx one on

the left and one on the right. the button on the left when pressed beeps constant untill pressed again or if you are flying when you press the button the same beeping occurs but if you push the cyclic stick in any direction the quad will do a very fast flip or roll in

the direction you chose. the other button on the top right of the tx will turn on or off the light port which was pointed out in the pictures.

Battery Charge time- 45min to charge both batteries

Battery life - 8 minutes of outdoor fast forward flight
. 10 minutes of slow indoor hovering and slow maneuvers

Flight Experience

At first i was kind of disapointed with the slow and very tame movements of the U816 but after flying 2 batteries through it I saw that it can be flown outdoors on the high rates and can surprisinly be seen from a good distance and controlled with great accuracy

so i started doing more fast forward flight while using the auto flip feature and this really cranks up the fun. I dont think there has been a day since i recieved this quad that is hasnt been flown. I have been flying quads now for a little over a year and doo a lot of

sport flying with my F330 and I have been finding myself putting away the f330 so i can play with the U816 in tight areas while still getting it to flip and roll. So for me this is a great quad to use when I dont the the area for my brushless quad and still want to

impress people with the ability of a quadcopter.

PROS
- Ease if flight
- Flip Button
- Option to add led's controlled by tx
- Two batteries W/ Dual charger
- Very durable / hard canopy
- Located in USA wharehouse for fast shipping
- great packaging
CONS
- low rates to low for seasoned pilots
- throttle control very sensitive (need to get used to it) harder for beginner
- not best indoor flyer do to sensitive throttle

I will get a video up as soon as i can edit the video so you dont have to watch the entire 9 minute flight
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,668 Posts
I have had one for a couple of months and it is a fun little Quad. Be aware it can move out in very short time. Easy on throddle and you'll be fine.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
Looking at the board, it looks like the shaved-off MCU just might be an AVR. The pins on the smaller chip line up perfectly with an MPU6050. The i2c pins seem to go to the i2c pins on the AVR (checked against an atmega328p), and the two lines running towards the wireless chip appear to be connected to the chip's uart. It's not clear on this pic, but it appears MISO/MOSI are broken out to the test pads around the circled plus sign.

This makes me wonder, if it's really an AVR plus an MPU6050, maybe the firmware is just MultiWii?

http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8161.pdf
http://www.invensense.com/mems/gyro/...-MPU-6000A.pdf
Inopia is offline Find More Posts by Inopia
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inopia View Post
Looking at the board, it looks like the shaved-off MCU just might be an AVR. The pins on the smaller chip line up perfectly with an MPU6050. The i2c pins seem to go to the i2c pins on the AVR (checked against an atmega328p), and the two lines running towards the wireless chip appear to be connected to the chip's uart. It's not clear on this pic, but it appears MISO/MOSI are broken out to the test pads around the circled plus sign.

This makes me wonder, if it's really an AVR plus an MPU6050, maybe the firmware is just MultiWii?

http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8161.pdf
http://www.invensense.com/mems/gyro/...-MPU-6000A.pdf

Well that was way over my head. But I have two U816's. One with four white sockets attached on the board and one with five (one is unused), like the above reviewed one. The one with five is much more tame and slow in mode one, gets less flight time, and gets the batteries warmer. It also came with props which don't came off as easy. I need to put LB pops on it to test its performance.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
I ordered one off DX but I'm afraid I won't have time to hook up a logic analyzer any time soon. Might be fun to see if it's possible to reprogram the firmware ...
Inopia is offline Find More Posts by Inopia
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inopia View Post
now that would be the greatest if we could reprogram these with multiwii and add a rx of your choice. cant wait to hear what you find out
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I would just like the thing to have a little better control, especially with the throttle. Just put the LB firmware in it or something.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
I feel the throttle is perfect for fast forward flight with flips and acrobatic flight. but for hovering it is a little touchy and indoors is much harder do to the throttle but the control has nice linear feel to it and its nice to have such fast control outdoors
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
I feel the throttle is perfect for fast forward flight with flips and acrobatic flight. but for hovering it is a little touchy and indoors is much harder do to the throttle but the control has nice linear feel to it and its nice to have such fast control outdoors
You're right. Outdoors is where this thing shines. I'm thinking of making some kind of bright orange orientation ball for the front of it. I'd like to extend the range I can fly it.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:15 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
this thing is so much fun. it will do tripple flips with ease just throttle up fast and when your ready you push the top left inversion button and choose a direction to flip and at the same time drop the throttle down to about 10 percent and it just keeps flipin and then throttle up and fly away and pray the quad is pointed up otherwise it shoots to the ground like a bullet but have no fear I truly dont think this thing can break
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:50 AM
was a user.
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
any mods yet? id like to add some led's but dont know how or where in the board to solder.
hanginkanluran is offline Find More Posts by hanginkanluran
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:34 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanginkanluran View Post
any mods yet? id like to add some led's but dont know how or where in the board to solder.
in the last picture in my first post you can see the extra plug not being used. that is a led power source that is controlled by the top right button. I put one light on it just to see if it works and it works great and is controlled by the tx so that is cool. ill try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Good info. I just realized the tx from my second U816 has the shoulder buttons! I'm gonna strip the LEDs off my old S107s and attach to the board.

There are definitely two U816s floating around(three if you include the one that comes with the prop protectors).

Version A:
Props fly off easily
Very touchy and wild (LB props help some)
No shoulder buttons on tx

Version B:
Much more docile in "mode 1
One extra socket on board to add LEDs
Shoulder tx buttons for lights and flipping
Props stay on very well
Slightly shorter flight time?
Motors seem to get a little warmer?
Came with slightly weaker batteries?

Overall I prefer the second one.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:08 AM
was a user.
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
oh i haave the version A. there are holes where a 5th plug should be but no luck when i tapped leds. im here in Salerno ,Italy. no decent vendors yet. and i got it shipped c.o.d. 65 euros.
hanginkanluran is offline Find More Posts by hanginkanluran
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
did you try swapping the + - wires on the led. there is a button on the tx to activate it on the right bumper but if you dont have it maybe it wont work.