HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Did you get Crius AIOP + ArduPlaneNG working for your setup?
Yes, everything I need is working 22 39.29%
I'm still in progress of configuring the setup 24 42.86%
I gave up on Crius AIOP + ArduPlaneNG, too difficult to set up. 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:43 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Mini-HowTo
OSD+RTH on budget with Crius AIO PRO

Update 2013-05-09 (wiring overview):
VID_20130509_104438.mp4 (18 min 12 sec)

This is a walkthrough how to setup Crius AIO Pro with MinimOSD to implement OSD and RTH functionality. Several people have already done this, but there is no walkthrough guide "for dummies".
Let's keep this thread short and clean. There are other threads for general discussion of Crius (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677726) and ArduPlane/MinimOSD (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1742614&page=4).
mkuvy is offline Find More Posts by mkuvy
Last edited by mkuvy; May 08, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Shopping list (at RCTimer or HK):
- Crius AIO Pro
- GPS: Crius NEO-6m GPS
- Bluetooth (you want it): Crius BT
- OSD: MinimOSD + FTDI adapter. Get version MinimOSD 1.x.
- Current sensor: Flytron or RCTimer 50A or 90A. The more the sensor can handle, the less precise it is.
Last edited by mkuvy; Jun 29, 2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Update 5 (2013-06-29):

FBW_B mode can be configured to control target bearing and target altitude instead of usual navigation roll and altitude error. To enable direct target bearing/altitude control in FBW_B define FBWB_BEARING_ALTITUDE to ENABLED.

Update 4 (2013-06-29):

RSSI is supported by minimosd-extra firmware for minimosd. If you are using arducam-osd firmware, define RECEIVER_RSSI_GPS to ENABLED to pass RSSI as GPS satellite count to the OSD. Use RECEIVER_RSSI_GPS_MIN and RECEIVER_RSSI_GPS_MAX values to define min and max voltage values for RSSI (0 corresponds to 0V, 255 corresponds to 5V).

Update 3 (2013-04-30):

ArduPlaneNG now supports buffered analog RSSI. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=230

Update 2:

ArduPlaneNG is now part of MegaPirateNG repository in arduplane/ branch. Currently it is same sources as ArduPlaneNG2xR5, but with several bugs fixed (including compass problem and elevon configuration via MissionPlanner): http://code.google.com/p/megapiraten...es%2Farduplane .

Update 1:

There is a bug in JLN's ArduPlaneNG2xR5 which causes compass to not work and, consequently, home arrow and RTL are broken. This bug is fixed in SirAlex's edition of ArduPlaneNG2xR5: http://www.siralex.info/files/ArduPlaneNG2xR5.zip

About firmware.
If you are flying multi-rotor, you will use MegaPirateNG. If you are flying a fixed-wing, you will use ArduPlaneNG.
Both MegaPirateNG and ArduPlaneNG are based on ArduPlane. ArduPlane supports both multi-rotors and fixed-wing aircraft. MegaPirateNG is a port of ArduPlane to cheaper (compared to APM 2.5) boards, including Crius AIO Pro. MegaPirateNG only supports multi-rotors. ArduPlaneNG is a port of MegaPirateNG which takes fixed-wing parts from ArduPlane and brings them to MegaPirateNG, thus allowing Crius AIO Pro to control fixed-wing aircraft. You can think of ArduPlaneNG as a configuration of MegaPirateNG for plane.
Under the hood all these projects are quite similar and use same protocols. This means that both MegaPirateNG and ArduPlaneNG work fine with Mission Planner software, which was developed for ArduPlane.

Read the excellent tutorial http://www.rctimer.com/download/CriusMegaGuide_v1_1.pdf , it has 90% of what you need to set everything up. If you are using fixed-wing just mentally replace MegaPirateNG with ArduPlaneNG, as there are no substantial differences in installation.
Last edited by mkuvy; Jun 29, 2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:13 AM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
243 Posts
will this work with a crius standard se?
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulkar View Post
will this work with a crius standard se?
I don't know. This guide will focus on Crius AIO Pro, and configuration changes in the firmware will be required for Crius SE.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Current sensor notes.
Voltage and current sensing is done by A0-A5 pins on Crius boards. These pins read voltage between 0-5V, and can be used for getting battery voltage, current consumption, RSSI, air-speed, etc.
The Flytron current sensor passes through voltage from battery, which is often 11-12V. So we need to scale that voltage to 0-5V interval. This can be done with a pair of resistors -- I used ~3kOhm and ~9kOhm -- google "voltage divider".
The current sensing is done by the Flytron sensor, which converts 0-50A current reading to 0-5V voltage reading. So you can connect current I-pin from sensor directly to Crius board without any divider.
Which of the A0-A5 pins you use for voltage and current sensing is up to you. By default ArduPlaneNG allocates A0 to air-speed sensor, so I moved voltage to A2 and current to A3. In the firmware you can adjust config.h to correspond to your connections (see below). With my resistors I had voltage divider with 3.15 ratio; and Flytron current sensor outputs 1V per 10A of current.

Besides that, you will need to calibrate voltage sensing in the firmware for your particular BEC/Crius combo. For this measure the voltage between GND and +5V that are go to receiver (not coming from ESC/servo connectors) and enter it for INPUT_VOLTAGE.

diff -rup ./ArduPlaneNG2xR5.orig/ArduPlaneNG2x/config.h ./ArduPlaneNG2xR5/ArduPlaneNG2x/config.h
--- ./ArduPlaneNG2xR5.orig/ArduPlaneNG2x/config.h 2012-08-16 09:38:52.000000000 +1200
+++ ./ArduPlaneNG2xR5/ArduPlaneNG2x/config.h 2012-11-29 20:11:06.000000000 +1300
@@ -164,8 +164,8 @@
# define USB_MUX_PIN -1
# define CLI_SLIDER_ENABLED DISABLED
# define OPTFLOW_CS_PIN 34
-# define BATTERY_PIN_1 0
-# define CURRENT_PIN_1 1
+# define BATTERY_PIN_1 2
+# define CURRENT_PIN_1 3
#elif CONFIG_APM_HARDWARE == APM_HARDWARE_APM2
# define A_LED_PIN 27
# define B_LED_PIN 26
@@ -394,14 +394,14 @@
# define LOW_VOLTAGE 9.6
#endif
#ifndef VOLT_DIV_RATIO
-# define VOLT_DIV_RATIO 3.56 // This is the proper value for an on-board APM1 voltage divider with a 3.9kOhm resistor
+# define VOLT_DIV_RATIO 3.15 // This is the proper value for an on-board APM1 voltage divider with a 3.9kOhm resistor
//# define VOLT_DIV_RATIO 15.70 // This is the proper value for the AttoPilot 50V/90A sensor
//# define VOLT_DIV_RATIO 4.127 // This is the proper value for the AttoPilot 13.6V/45A sensor

#endi

#ifndef CURR_AMP_PER_VOLT
-# define CURR_AMP_PER_VOLT 27.32 // This is the proper value for the AttoPilot 50V/90A sensor
+# define CURR_AMP_PER_VOLT 10.0 // This is the proper value for the AttoPilot 50V/90A sensor
//# define CURR_AMP_PER_VOLT 13.66 // This is the proper value for the AttoPilot 13.6V/45A sensor
#endif

@@ -416,7 +416,7 @@
// INPUT_VOLTAGE
//
#ifndef INPUT_VOLTAGE
-# define INPUT_VOLTAGE 4.68 // 4.68 is the average value for a sample set. This is the value at the processor with 5.02 applied at the servo rail
+# define INPUT_VOLTAGE 4.93 // 4.68 is the average value for a sample set. This is the value at the processor with 5.02 applied at the servo rail
#endif

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

As a final note, don't use ground from the current sensor except as a connection for voltage divider. Use ground from your ESC BEC as the one and only current return path to the battery. Doing otherwise will likely introduce a ground loop and various unfortunate consequences. In the picture of my setup the 3-wire servo cable from the current sensor carries: divided battery voltage to Crius for sensing, current sensing, and 12V from the output end of the current sensor to power my video tx and camera. The ground for vtx and camera is taken from ESC.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Notes on building ArduPlaneNG firmware.

Refer to http://www.rctimer.com/download/CriusMegaGuide_v1_1.pdf for the general process of building firmware.

In at least ArduPlaneNG2xR5 release of firmware you need to make a couple of adjustments in libraries/ folder to build the firmware. First, delete libraries/DataFlash folder. Second, delete libraries/AP_InertialSensor/AP_InertialSensor_MPU6000.cpp file. These folder and file are not used in the actual firmware, but they are failing to build as part of library due to missing symbols.

If you are still getting compilation errors after removing these items, make sure you selected target Arduino board right, which should be "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK".
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
First test (raw). Compass needs calibration, and PIDs need adjusting to stabilize plane more sharply.
Crius AIO Pro + MinimOSD + ArduPlaneNG test (0 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2011
51 Posts
Options for OSD with RTH for fixed wing

Can someone explain the differences and make a recommendation for an inexpensive OSD with RTH for fixed wing?
None of these are PnP but I don't want to mess around for 40 hrs to get these running.
Option 1: AIOP
Rctimer - CRIUS AIOP ALL IN ONE PRO Flight Controller V1.1 $60

Question: Same thing?
Hobby King -Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller w/FTDI (ATmega 2560) $49
Question:Use with ArduPlaneNG for fixed wing?
Option 2: ??
Hobby King - MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module
This includes the GPS for $65 so cheapest option but im not sure what firmware to use. Seems to have the least following.
Option 3: APM2.5
DIY Drones APM2.5 $180. Comes with case and current sensor.

Same as:
RcTimer - APM2.5 clone ArduFlyer V2.5 Kit Flight Controller $90

Question: Need a current sensor. Link?
Can someone provide a link where i would find the following sensors?
Bluetooth
Current
Airspeed
P Scott is offline Find More Posts by P Scott
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Skilled crasher
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Oct 2010
82 Posts
Any ways to use cheaper gps? Smth like this, 4800 baud:
http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index...products_id=65
Power is not a problem, it's communication with chip that makes me worry. I know arduino basics, so some firmware tweaks are no problem. Going to use hk's AIO board, looks like cruis copy.
So far i think i need rth, auto level, artifical horizon and mah counter. And minimal weigth.:-) I
Can the arduplaneng software use airspeed sensor?
sashaNar is offline Find More Posts by sashaNar
Last edited by sashaNar; Dec 23, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashaNar View Post
Any ways to use cheaper gps? Smth like this, 4800 baud:
http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index...products_id=65
Power is not a problem, it's communication with chip that makes me worry. I know arduino basics, so some firmware tweaks are no problem. Going to use hk's AIO board, looks like cruis copy.
So far i think i need rth, auto level, artifical horizon and mah counter. And minimal weigth.:-) I
Can the arduplaneng software use airspeed sensor?
There haven't been updates here for a while as I'm blocked on waiting for Bluetooth module to tweak settings of the ArduPlane. The board is embedded inside the fuselage, so USB connection is not a real option.

Yes, MTK GPS works fine with Crius AIO Pro, it's a two-line change in configuration file.

Beware, HK's AIO board has a manufacturing defect in power circuit. You can workaround it, but there may be caveats.

ArduPlaneNG does use airspeed sensor.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Skilled crasher
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Oct 2010
82 Posts
Hmm, power defects? Haven't heard of it. Do you have more info?
Btw, would it be are there any free processor pins to output data for frsky telemetry? It uses rs232, so level converter is needed. It can save last gps coordinates in my turnigy9x memory, which is really useful in case of crash as I have no ground video recording.
EDIT: what about this gps? It is cheaper, and more info is available. http://www.ebay.com/itm/REYAX-ZYM-GA...-/170948371295 It uses ttl, so no mods to firmware is required, right?
sashaNar is offline Find More Posts by sashaNar
Last edited by sashaNar; Dec 23, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashaNar View Post
Hmm, power defects? Haven't heard of it. Do you have more info?
Btw, would it be are there any free processor pins to output data for frsky telemetry? It uses rs232, so level converter is needed. It can save last gps coordinates in my turnigy9x memory, which is really useful in case of crash as I have no ground video recording.
EDIT: what about this gps? It is cheaper, and more info is available. http://www.ebay.com/itm/REYAX-ZYM-GA...-/170948371295 It uses ttl, so no mods to firmware is required, right?
See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790506 about the defect in HK boards. I don't know firm answers to your other questions, sorry.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Scott View Post
Can someone explain the differences and make a recommendation for an inexpensive OSD with RTH for fixed wing?
None of these are PnP but I don't want to mess around for 40 hrs to get these running. ....
Cyclops Nova, or cyclops Storm are OSD, with GPS, ability to fly the airplane, and have RTH. At a budget similar to the parts list above, without the 40hrs of programming.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Cyclops Nova, or cyclops Storm are OSD, with GPS, ability to fly the airplane, and have RTH. At a budget similar to the parts list above, without the 40hrs of programming.
Right, with a good failure rate and inability to tweak anything and fix bugs. I had Nova, and it worked fine (till it fried itself for no reason at all). I got disgruntled with lack of support and closed-source firmware.

Oh, btw, do Cyclops OSDs have fly-by-wire and multipoint autopilots? Can they connect to FrSky telemetry? Do they airspeed sensors? Magnetometer?