HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered Builder
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Discussion
Orion Jr EP Build

Just got the plans for the Orion Jr. I am building it to be electric powered using a Turnigy 3020-1800 motor on 2S (8x4) or 3S (7x4), and a 18A ESC-BEC. I want to use 2 aileron micro servos as well. I will post some pictures. Any ideas?
ARillos is offline Find More Posts by ARillos
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:40 PM
Registered Builder
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Building the wings using magnets and steel board. Tail parts are ready.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
Registered Builder
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Fuselage sides are done, as well is the balsa canopy. Here is the motor.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Neat model, love the balsa canopy.

Aileron servos - oops! Much easier to make and fit all the bits before you assemble the wing, but as you have the plan, there is hope. If you're going to put the servos inside where they belong, there's two ways to do it - both pretty well documented around here. You can either mount them into a partial rib made from plywood with a cut out for the servo, and cover them over with a thin balsa hatch that's non load bearing or mount them onto a ply load-bearing hatch that's screwed to hard points at its corners in a rib bay.

Your fun time now is going to be getting the servo wires to the wing centre section - hope you haven't sheeted the centre over as that will make it even more fun. You need round holes in the ribs with a rolled paper tube running through the ribs in a suitable place to slip your aileron leads through. In a model this size, I'd put the servos in the rib bay just outboard of the centre sheeting - the ideal is at the aileron's mid-point, but in a little model, it won't be an issue due to relatively low flight loadings.

I've added photos of each style of mounting.

You can also have them hanging out in the slipstream mounted vertically. This has the advantage of messing up the airflow, putting the servo arm and aileron horn at 90 degrees to each other's plane of rotation and your servos become the lowest point on the model after the wheels when the model's on the ground.

Where did you get your plan? That era of model is really cool, my next or so project is a dedicated electric conversion of a Kaos/Chaos aerobatic ride, which is around the same 'vintage' as your model, IIRC

Looking forward to seeing more from you

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
701 Posts
ARillos - You will like your Orion Jr. I did a half size version that became a kit from BMLR model products. My example weighs 15.5 ounces ready to fly with a 1300 three cell lipo battery pack. It uses an Atlas 2308/34 motor turning a 8x6 APC E prop. That set up produces 90 watts. Performace is very good and the model can do any of the aerobatics the full size Orion could perform back in the early 60's.

I did use dual aileron servos in the model mounted as Dereck suggested internallaly on plywood plates. The servos can be easily removed for servicing. I have a 1/2" paper tube running through the wing ribs between the servos and wing root to make routing the servo lead easy. If you have not yet joined the wing halves you can use a piece of sharpened 1/2" brass tubing to drill the aileron lead holes. Just drill from the root rib to the last rib before the servo bay.

Here is a photo of my half size Orion for your reference. I maintained the original color and markings used by Ed Kasmerski on his model.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Registered Builder
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Thanks, Dereck. The plans are from MAN 04/2006 issue. I am using three very small digital servos (5 g each). One for the elevator attached to the fuselage right in front the stab, and two for the ailerons. I use to install servos in a similar way as your suggestions, but since those servos are very small, I am planning to use them vertically, to save some weight. The goal for that plane is to weight around 13 ounces, which will not be an easy task. Talking about Kaos, here is a pic of my late Super Kaos. I miss that plane
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:55 PM
Registered Builder
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Paul, very nice your Orion 1/2. A little bigger than mine. Good Job! I will post more pictures today. Alex.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
ARillos
Your Super Kaos is a beauty - you need another, but without the smoke and oil producer on the front.

Also, you have finally convinced me that the design can look good with a taildragger UC. Since learning to fly RC in 1979, I have owned three trike gear models - the rest had proper undercarriages but since starting the drawing for my K'E'os - which is actually a 'large scale model' of the Kaos/Chaos at around 50" span - I have swithered between a taildragger and trying to figure out how to make a trike gear work for me.

You just pushed the project back onto the right track for me - taildragger wins out. Also noticed on your Kaos that the tailplane hingeline is ahead of the rudder hingeline, whereas most of the pictures I've found of the series, the tail surface hingelines are about atop each other. I could be doing something more useful, but it is fascinating how different the various Kaos / Chaos variants are in detail.

I'd love to try one of these IMAA legal 50% full scale early pattern rides, but it would mostly adorn my shop walls with Chicago's persistent winds

Regards

Dereck
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
Registered Builder
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Dereck, about the Kaos being taildragger, I did a little change to the fuselage. From the wing trailing edge, I used a straight (or almost straight) line to bottom of the rudder (no sub-fin), to have a support for the tail wheel assy.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
Registered Builder
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Fuselage is ready for covering. Servo details.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:33 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARillos View Post
Dereck, about the Kaos being taildragger, I did a little change to the fuselage. From the wing trailing edge, I used a straight (or almost straight) line to bottom of the rudder (no sub-fin), to have a support for the tail wheel assy.
Ah! A good idea with a taildragger. I've found that a wire tailskid is not good for taxying on grass - especially near the 'Windy City' where such mostly taxy into wind, like it or not. Have doodled how to put a steerable tailwheel onto that sub-fin, but it looks painful too. One day, need to stop doodling and get to building.

Fuselage on your large scale model looks real good

Dereck
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
113 Posts
Nice plane it's looking REALY good
I want to try to. Build one so can Any body tel me whare to get these plans
Rczorro is offline Find More Posts by Rczorro
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:49 PM
Registered Builder