HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:40 AM
USA, NC, Pinehurst
Joined Oct 2010
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
That happened on mine and several other Dynam Waco's too. I just cut new ones and glued them in.

Is this the first reported case of bad plastic in a Dynam Tiger Moth?
I continue to find bad plastic attachment points. The latest example is the attachment points in the fuse where struts and landing gear braces attach. Upon screwing the attachment screw into the plastic insert in the fuse, the plastic attachment simply crumbles leaving it useless. It leaves a less than secure attachment or no attachment at all. Anyone find this situation on their model?
How did you replace the plastic strut attachment points on the wings? What material did you use and did you epoxy them in the wing?
John W.
ddog is offline Find More Posts by ddog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
John,

I haven't had any of the issues you've mentioned with my Tiggy. I'm not sure if you've already been in touch with their customer service department yet, but my experience with them was good (warped rudder). If this is a problem that others have experienced maybe Nitroplanes is aware of the problem, and may be willing or able to either exchange the kit or send the required replacement parts. Their 'submit a ticket' system is kind of different but once you get that in they'll get right back to you! - I'd at least give it a shot!

If on the other hand your intent on 'repairing' the strut mounts, I'd try to extract the old mounts (slice along both sides and see if it loosens up enough to 'work' them out). Once you have them out make new ones from ply and CA them in. Try ro get as much of the old rubber booger cement out of the slots as possible as I don't think it will help any with adhesion.
Note though, if you go this route your probably giving up any right to request a replacement part!

Sorry you're having these issues with the plane as it seems to be a really nice model.

Robin

PS - If you have photos attach them with your complaint.
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
Last one, I promise!

Test shots for documentary about a flying school of the RNAF (Dutch Air Force). I haven't been able to find anything on the documentary yet though, just this ...
Tiger Moth ( vintage aircraft) (1 min 57 sec)

Enjoy, Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:29 PM
USA, NC, Pinehurst
Joined Oct 2010
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
John,

I haven't had any of the issues you've mentioned with my Tiggy. I'm not sure if you've already been in touch with their customer service department yet, but my experience with them was good (warped rudder). If this is a problem that others have experienced maybe Nitroplanes is aware of the problem, and may be willing or able to either exchange the kit or send the required replacement parts. Their 'submit a ticket' system is kind of different but once you get that in they'll get right back to you! - I'd at least give it a shot!

If on the other hand your intent on 'repairing' the strut mounts, I'd try to extract the old mounts (slice along both sides and see if it loosens up enough to 'work' them out). Once you have them out make new ones from ply and CA them in. Try ro get as much of the old rubber booger cement out of the slots as possible as I don't think it will help any with adhesion.
Note though, if you go this route your probably giving up any right to request a replacement part!

Sorry you're having these issues with the plane as it seems to be a really nice model.

Robin

PS - If you have photos attach them with your complaint.
Thanks Robin, I would send the entire mess back but I would have to pay the shipping. I guess I will struggle along and replace the attachment points as they fail but will not buy from Dynam(NitroPlanes) in the future. It seems that others have had similar problems on the Waco. I will keep all posted on my progress. Glad you and others have not had these problems.
John W.
ddog is offline Find More Posts by ddog
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:50 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
What material did you use and did you epoxy them in the wing?
Our early experiences with the Hobbyking TM EPO showed that epoxy just didn't work for attaching the plastic struts to the EPO wings - often they would just just fall apart when holding the model by the wing, and very often on landing. CA proved much better for plastic-EPO joints (and you must clean new EPO with methylated spirits/denatured alcohol).

If you've got broken plastic struts, about 1cm of sawn off thin nail works well to re-attach them. You have to get the drilling absolutely correct though - press a scriber hard into the centre of the plastic to be drilled. Epoxy works well for plastic-plastic repairs.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog View Post
Thanks Robin, I would send the entire mess back but I would have to pay the shipping. I guess I will struggle along and replace the attachment points as they fail but will not buy from Dynam(NitroPlanes) in the future. It seems that others have had similar problems on the Waco. I will keep all posted on my progress. Glad you and others have not had these problems.
John W.
John.
I've found you can screw into a appropriate sized section of control wire tubing gorilla glued in place, if that's any help. You'll quite likely end up with a much improved TM from stock IMO and this might make the whole exercise worthwhile.When your cursing these wires remember most of us have as well. They are a little tricky and fiddly for one person to manage by themselves, an extra pair of hands is a good thing.
One thing is for sure once you get it in the air you'll love it and as time goes by maybe all will be forgiven ? I hope so and good luck. Please keep as all posted and photos if possible would be nice.
Thanks
Brent.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,587 Posts
"I say...Eddie...."
de Havilland flying school 1933 (10 min 5 sec)
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:07 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
John.
I've found you can screw into a appropriate sized section of control wire tubing gorilla glued in place, if that's any help. You'll quite likely end up with a much improved TM from stock IMO and this might make the whole exercise worthwhile.When your cursing these wires remember most of us have as well. They are a little tricky and fiddly for one person to manage by themselves, an extra pair of hands is a good thing.
One thing is for sure once you get it in the air you'll love it and as time goes by maybe all will be forgiven ? I hope so and good luck. Please keep as all posted and photos if possible would be nice.
Thanks
Brent.
Foam Tac or canopy glue would also work (I think) since both dry clear and do not expand they may be a bit easier to work with. Both are tenacious with foam. Canopy stays a bit flexible and I like using it, foam tac is #1 for attaching to foam where strength is important, like broken wing repairs!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:02 PM
NJ.Exit 172
Joined Oct 2009
140 Posts
Dynam Tiger Moth
john12c is offline Find More Posts by john12c
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
Nice Shot! The 'chocks' are a nice touch also! Tell us more please (modifications, problem areas, more photos, video, etc). Has she maidened yet?

Challenge: Hey guys I'm only counting seven videos for the Dynam Tiggy out there, what's up with that? We need a little more inspiration!

I'll add one 'when' mine maidens.

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Apr 21, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added video comment
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,587 Posts
John 12c - nice !
There's always room for one more.
De Havilland "tiger moth" .Cole porter : just one those things (3 min 18 sec)
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
429 Posts
Bed Time

I love my T Moth,we are going flying tomorow . Freddy
Fired Up is offline Find More Posts by Fired Up
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
Freddy,

!!!

I was going to comment but my wife came up behind me and said,"Oh, so there is someone out there who has it as bad as you!" so I guess I'd better just be quiet!

Google: Al Stewart - Flying Sorcery and give it a listen - Sweet dreams & fair skies, my friend!

OK time to get back to work!

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
Freddy,

How did your flying session go? Good I hope 'cause I think we scared everyone away!

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
Radius rods

OK Guys, Back to business!

Working on the modified 'Radius Rods' (I think might have refered to them as drag links in a previous post). I made new radius rods from 2-56 threaded push rods doubled over with a loop at the bottom for the lower attachment and silver soldered. I realize that the wire isn't as hard as music wire but it isn't supporting any weight, its just keeping the gear from moving backward! I used K&S 1/4" streamlined tubing over them for the fairing and a Du-Bro 2-56 Swivel Ball link. I then tapped the upper attachment point for a 2-56 screw, since I had previously assembled the model the threads didn't feel that solid so I ran a little thin CA down them and retapped the hole when it cured! Of course they still need to be painted!

Oh, I also 'rusted up' the exhaust a bit! (still playing with it)

Robin

Was having trouble with the first caption in the caption box - it should read:

From the top -
Stock radius rod.
New & improved radius rod
.250" streamlined alum. sleeve
2-56 threaded pushrod 'core'
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Apr 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: corrected / adjusted caption - added text