HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:08 PM
f6f
Joined Feb 2010
40 Posts
Discussion
10 inch length mini sailboat

I bought it from china, the red is for me and the blue is for friend. it look so cute and very fun. It included a 27 FM 2 ch remote control, 2 servos, battery and receiver. The battery is a 3.7v 90mah lipo for receiver. My friend said that the battery can feed the receiver and servos to operate in one hour.
f6f is offline Find More Posts by f6f
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:30 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Cute.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Cute.
Well put, but have you seen the 2.4 version?
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:18 AM
f6f
Joined Feb 2010
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Well put, but have you seen the 2.4 version?
FM 27 only!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:13 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6f View Post
FM 27 only!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Sailbo...item4abdf9ef2f

Check out the cute little TX, Might have to buy some for the kids to replace the MM

f6f can you give us run down when you launch the little suckers? photos maybe
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:26 AM
f6f
Joined Feb 2010
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Sailbo...item4abdf9ef2f

Check out the cute little TX, Might have to buy some for the kids to replace the MM

f6f can you give us run down when you launch the little suckers? photos maybe
Thank you information, I will buy 2.4g vesion if i discovered.

moreover, i will post the photos and video when i completed test.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6f View Post
Thank you information, I will buy 2.4g vesion if i discovered.

moreover, i will post the photos and video when i completed test.
Looking forward to it
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Already on Youtube..

sailandfly caribbean (2 min 45 sec)
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:18 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
917 Posts
Are the servos five wire like on the early ones or three wire?
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:19 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Oops I may have bought one,
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
The New RG65 currently under design & construction could be worth the look

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1779323

Same manufacture source..
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:12 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Ok mine turned up today, very cute ( how can a yacht be cute?) it makes my old MM seem like a 10r and my IOM look like a battle ship.

Nice little 2.4 radio.

It has no adjustment on the sails at all apart from the sheet lines and using the trim on the radio, but that will be changed soon with some bowsies and I might need to improve the sails a bit or make some new ones. But I will just put it in the water first.

Personally I think this little boat will be more fun than my old MM, I can sail it in the spa lol.

If you had a half decent sized back yard pool you could set a course and have some great racing without being more than a few steps from a fridge of beer, now that is sailing.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:51 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Just took this photo to show the size
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
917 Posts
Got mine wet today!
But before that had a good look at it:

Package:
Nicely boxed with model stand screwed to hull and box. Good English instructions.
Small and light enough to mail okay with card over the transparency.
This new version with the 2.4gHz radio has thankfully deleted the reference to it being a Footy on the packaging. It does state :"14+ this is not a toy"!
Electronics:
Package rattled which is not a good first impression on an item mailed from China.
Inside found two transmitter sticks. These require installing on the 2.4gHz. Very hard push required to drive plastic end home, scary that you will damage the stick mechanism. One stick metal tip could unscrew to give variable stick length, other one is either jammed or won't unscrew. Again risk of damaging plastic stick end or mechanism deters trying to unscrew too hard.
Followed good English instructions to charge battery but not charging - no light. After some half an hours discharge still won't charge. Battery has a protection circuit on one end. Only 100mAh, half an hours sailing according to instructions! Need to double that immediately.
Receiver is shrink wrapped with LED bind light and button. No idea what protocol it uses, but it is not FlySky. Attached on top of 3 wire traditional 9 g servos. Servos flat on hull floor driving vertical plastic horns. Sail servo horn is quite long and would benefit from a Stollery sliding power lever to reduce length and increase torque in winching in. Movement adequate to give inline and about 80 degrees boom out.
Rudder servo very coarse with unequal throws and only three steps to starboard and four to port and hums at extreme throw.
Hull:
Very thick and heavy plastic hull and deck. Short metal keel and tiny bulb. Plastic rudder. Removable hatch fits into recessed groove in the hull and secured with single tiny screw that is instantly losable. Magnetic catch mod indicated. No hatch sealing material at all. Float in the bath shows small free board with anticipated large heel immersing hatch side. Transom touches water ok but bow low - usually knee proud at rest rather than half immersed. Bulb already well back on keel and nothing of substance to move rear in hull. Rudder post barely 15mm above hull floor, put some petroleum jelly around top and on fairlead hole.
Rig:
Carbon mast, steel rigging, plastic booms and gooseneck. Can't see why they didn't go up slightly in carbon rod size and do away with the rigging wires. There is no mast or sail adjustment at all - no raking, no camber, no sheet length, no slot adjustment, nada. At this scale might as well have used a unarig with some adjustment.
Sailing:
Tried it in the park paddling pool, about a foot deep, in 4-5 knot light breeze straight down the pool. I sail my Footys here frequently and lots of kids have tried them successfully from aged four. I need something to recommend to the parents that ask where they can buy something similar that is ready to go.
Difficult to tack upwind, often drifting sideways and hard to turn across the wind even with easing the sails. Goes okay downwind with 5 knots being about the limit. After about 15 minutes of sailing, most of the time struggling to get upwind, it sank quickly too far up the pond to get to quickly. The low freeboard and distance did not help me see the problem until too late. Drained it out and water kept coming as many crevices and turns inside the hull. Turned it back on and still working so far. Though I expect the chlorine in the pool may do some long term damage.
Verdict:
This is a toy. Definitely not model quality in design or execution. As modellers we know that buying a toy radio item is usually going to mean a disappointed kid, especially with a yacht. Don't treat a kid you know to the pain of owning one of these. Redeeming factor is the radio can be reused if it survives a dunking. But no toy yacht should be made that is sinkable.This yacht should have been a light weight polystyrene hull designed to Footy specifications by real yacht modellers (call Brett!). Maybe that will change with future models now that Joysway have a racing and design crew on board for the RG65. They need to discontinue this one immediately!
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:25 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Oh rusty that is not good news about the sailing, I tried mine yesterday in 15 knots and it just stayed healed the whole time, couldn't get it to tack but thought it was the wind strength.
Thought I was going to loss it in the fountain but it jibed and headed back so grabbed it and decided to try another day in lighter wind.
I can see where a few mod's cab be made, don't like the spring on the jib pivot point, some new sails and CF booms, but it will be hard to decide between completing this or my 10R