HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
Cowling detailing done!

Well, I decided whilst waiting for the motor and spinner to arrive, that I'd finish up the canopy detail and cowling stuff...

The cowling vanes were made with 1/8" x 1/4" aluminum streamline, and I used 16 of them radially positioned off a 2" dia. circular plate I made from 1/32" hardply. It was made 3/8 wide about the annulus, to accomodate the spinner's collet and allow positioning.

CF rod (5/64") was used for the mounting posts, using graphite epoxy on the backside of the plate. A template was used to get the angles and positions very close to ideal. After setting, I had a small photofilter 46mm set ring (the ring that holds filters in their cells) and placed this on the rear to sandwich the CF rod and provide a bit more strength. The vanes are 24mm long, and sit through the CF rods so they all position correctly, and that thin CA can be used to hold them.

After setting the CF rods, I hit the annulur plate with flat black spray paint, then mounted the vanes. The vanes are mounted such that they recede from the front cowl, just as a wing profile would. The vanes were a bit too dramatic on the plane so I darkened them after setting lightly spraying flat black in a "fog coat".

They look more like a CF vane or dark grey tint, which goes nicely with the color scheme of the cowl I think (see pics).

Once the motor arrives, I can then mount these on the front of the motor mount using graphite-epoxy. There is about 2mm or so clearance inside the cowl so the vanes JUST fit inside the ID of the cowl. It looks pretty sharp, and adds a real scale look to the plane with minimal effort and time (~1.5h total for cutting and gluing, and 15 min of painting), without overly compromising the airflow through the cowl.

I am finishing up my ailerons later tonight, and then mounting the servos and control rods. Once done that, It's just a few more minor things, and the gear mains CF struts to receive, and I'm flight ready!!! (2h maybe?)

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
helicrazy
United States, AL, Robertsdale
Joined Nov 2009
342 Posts
Very nice,i may have to borrow your idea for my 50cc pitts python electric conversion.
frank26all is offline Find More Posts by frank26all
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:41 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
No problem Frank!

Feel free...

Smooth skies and good building!

Darren/Skycadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!