HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rz22g, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined May 2006
132 Posts
New Product
Flyzone F4U Corsair (Select Scale)

Just picked one up at TNR Hobbies in Mojave and doing a little review. I already had the AnyLink on my DX8 so we went with the TX-R version.

Assembly: Easy

Horizontal Stab requires pulling control wire out slightly so you can attach to horn then sliding Stab into position as you route the wire back into the quick connect on servo horn. Once in place the Horizontal Stab is attached with a screw from the end.

Vertical Stab is even easier. Drop into place while aligning the rudder actuator wire and then attach with screw from the bottom.

Wing attachment is as simple as routing and connecting wires to the RX. You leave the wing detached while you adjust control surface linkage for aileron, rudder and elevator. Once completed you can attach the wing.

Landing Gear should be checked prior to attempting maiden flight. With the gear out check that gear mechanism is locked. You can check visually as well as applying pressure to the front of the gear to see if it collapses. The manual shows you how to adjust if the gear is not locked.

LOCKTITE !!!! The wheel nuts on the axles. On take off we were surprised to see one wheel continue 300 feet down the runway after we lifted off. If you want to leave the nuts on you can use Green Penetrating Locktite.

Performance and Flight Characteristics...

Take off.. One mistake I see with tail dragger takeoffs is keeping the tail wheel down to long. With the Corsair I move very slow for about 10 feet with all three wheels on ground then roll to half throttle fairly fast to get the tail wheel up. From then on its the main gear only and rudder to steer for a nice scale lift off.

Flight characteristics are very nice. Rolls seem scale. Climb out is good. It will tip stall at very low speeds but recovers fast. Inverted flight is good as well. I have not tried anything other than basic flight.

Landing.. can be tricky if you try to come in to slow. You will end up bouncing or if you get to slow you could tip stall (Optional Flaps would help here). I found it works much better to fly it in at about 1/4 throttle, continue at 1/4 as main gear touch and roll and then cut power. This prevents the bounce and plane rolls in as the tail wheel gradually sets down.

This plane is a winner. Included Flaps would have been nice but for minimal cost you can add them yourself. For the price you get nice retracts and navigation lights so you cant really complain. I prefer it over the ParkZone simply for price vs features and performance. At $299 for the RTF Version you are already ahead of the game vs the ParkZone $299 package. The Parkzone has a slight power advantage but flight characteristics are similar and I think the Flyzone appears more scale. The retracts look really good and have retract doors so they are concealed.
rz22g is offline Find More Posts by rz22g
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rz22g; Mar 29, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, PA
Joined Nov 2012
87 Posts
rz22g,

Thanks for the quick review, I ordered it recently and should be in in a couple of days.

And thanks for the tip stall warning, I have the Unique Models version and that one tip stalls too. I have a habit of holding elevator all the way till the wheels lift off (to keep from nosing over in the grass) it's because I fly mostly small planes and the Parkzone warbirds need elevator to keep the tail planted to roll out. The Unique one is heavy enough that it doesn't need elevator so if I hold it she stalls as soon as the wheels lift and cartwheels into the grass.

Do the retracts seem strong enough for grass?

Thanks.
Eflyer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Eflyer 1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined May 2006
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyer 1 View Post
rz22g,

Thanks for the quick review, I ordered it recently and should be in in a couple of days.

And thanks for the tip stall warning, I have the Unique Models version and that one tip stalls too. I have a habit of holding elevator all the way till the wheels lift off (to keep from nosing over in the grass) it's because I fly mostly small planes and the Parkzone warbirds need elevator to keep the tail planted to roll out. The Unique one is heavy enough that it doesn't need elevator so if I hold it she stalls as soon as the wheels lift and cartwheels into the grass.

Do the retracts seem strong enough for grass?

Thanks.
Sorry I did not see your comment and question earlier. The retracts seem pretty good. I landed one for a customer and it had gone into low voltage cut off so it had minimum power. I touched down in rough mixture of clumped dirt and grass. It did not hurt it. On our shop demo I have seen the wheels twist in or outward when someone bounced quite hard and they also bent the axle but it straightened back out easily. Nothing broke.
rz22g is offline Find More Posts by rz22g
RCG Plus Member