HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:23 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Cremona
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psindrup View Post
Great!

Are you documenting your build, so the rest of the world can follow your progress?

I am new to this hexacopter "thing" (I have been flying and building "ordinary" rc copters for 4 years) so I am curious why the propeller spacing is an issue?

A friend of mine has build a similar sized hexacopter and recommended these propellers.
http://mikrokopter.altigator.com/gra...imisdi0t2s5hg6

Best regards

Peter
graupner e-props are very good, but 10" doesn't give you great autonomy, the bigger the better in terms of efficiency.
propellers spacing isn't a real issue, but i would like at least a gap twice than that. 700mm base wheel would be better.
I won't slavishly document step by step, i usually get into construction trance in my building sessions, will eventually report newsworthy remarks after.
simone76 is offline Find More Posts by simone76
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:52 PM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Terslev
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone76 View Post
graupner e-props are very good, but 10" doesn't give you great autonomy, the bigger the better in terms of efficiency.
Could I ask you to explain your take in propeller size versus autonomy/stability?

Thanks a lot

Peter
psindrup is offline Find More Posts by psindrup
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:55 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Cremona
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
Quote:
Could I ask you to explain your take in propeller size versus autonomy/stability?

Thanks a lot

Peter
better efficiency of bigger propellers is obvious, bigger wing chord and pretty the same aspect ratio... it works exactly like model planes wings: the bigger the better. To see that about propellers try out ecalc.ch for simulations.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Quote:
better efficiency of bigger propellers is obvious, bigger wing chord and pretty the same aspect ratio... it works exactly like model planes wings: the bigger the better. To see that about propellers try out ecalc.ch for simulations.
Better efficiency for bigger propellers is pretty obvious, but I have heard - and I stress heard - that smaller propellers has more authority, and are better to keep the hexa from shaking and wobbling.

Peter
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:59 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Cremona
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
Quote:
Better efficiency for bigger propellers is pretty obvious, but I have heard - and I stress heard - that smaller propellers has more authority, and are better to keep the hexa from shaking and wobbling.
it depends by the FC, for example NAZA seems to like more smaller frames and higher disk load, but yes, generally the tendence is like you say. Flight time VS vibrating, wobbling, shaking is a tradeoff we have to deal with. We will see how this setup will perform, if any problem will occur, I will face them.

For now i can say I like how fy680 is machined, even if 2mm thick plates would give mroe stiffness than the 1.6mm and alot of lightening holes makes it difficult to install stuffs on it.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Quote:
it depends by the FC, for example NAZA seems to like more smaller frames and higher disk load, but yes, generally the tendence is like you say. Flight time VS vibrating, wobbling, shaking is a tradeoff we have to deal with. We will see how this setup will perform, if any problem will occur, I will face them.
I concur.

Quote:
For now i can say I like how fy680 is machined, even if 2mm thick plates would give mroe stiffness than the 1.6mm and alot of lightening holes makes it difficult to install stuffs on it.
Is there any chance that you could shoot a couple of pictures of your build and post them here?

I ma wondering where to put the ESC's, now that four of the "legs" can fold/move.

Peter
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Maidstone
Joined Nov 2012
107 Posts
Its arrived!!!!

My fy 680 has arrived from China will post photos asap, first impression is of a very well made multi', nice alloy parts very stiff carbon fibre couple of srews missing but its now built the locking mechanisms on the arms un UC seem good will keep everybody posted with photos very soon. (I managed to find a video of a 680 flying, but forgot to save the link...doohhh)
madoldgit is offline Find More Posts by madoldgit
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoldgit View Post
My fy 680 has arrived from China will post photos asap
Please, if you can - make photos of carbon edges, like this one:
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:27 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2012
106 Posts
Quote:
My fy 680 has arrived from China will post photos asap, first impression is of a very well made multi', nice alloy parts very stiff carbon fibre couple of srews missing but its now built the locking mechanisms on the arms un UC seem good will keep everybody posted with photos very soon. (I managed to find a video of a 680 flying, but forgot to save the link...doohhh)
I ordered mine from FOXTECH and should be here soon.. May I know the electronics and propellers you plan to install? I will put my YS-X6 on this.. but as I am a newbie, it will definitely take me looonnnggg time set-up this one..
sgg05158 is offline Find More Posts by sgg05158
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
107 Posts
fy680 photos

hope the photos are ok, had to be down sized for upload so sorry if detail has been lost.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:30 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2012
106 Posts
Quote:
Now you can find also the carbon/alu version and save some bucks: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/tarot-fy6...me-tl6802.html
the legs are not foldable as the original fy680.. may defeat the purpose of wanting this frame.. imho..
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2012
106 Posts
Quote:
hope the photos are ok, had to be down sized for upload so sorry if detail has been lost.
thanks for sharing.. would you be able to measure the distance between the two camera gimbal poles/tubes? and the height from the ground to the poles which will hold the camera gimbal (clearance) ? I could not find this information in the FOXTECH website..
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
107 Posts
yes the legs DO fold
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
107 Posts
60mm centre to centre of poles and 175mm ground to centre of pole and if you had 1047 props there is a gap of 85mm between rotor tips (at closest point) hope this helps.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2012
107 Posts
ive seen the ESC's on the side of the motor mounts on one of these!!