SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone76 View Post
i don't care much for screws, it is already built beside the missing 2.5x30, and some screws i didn't even used. I changed some stuffs and did discard the landing gear, making instead a cinestar o-ring system and a tripod gimbal.

The ATG wich is almost the same and i took as reference (but look i don't own it) is this one http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=694
As you see is 16mm "fake" cf, i don't like much moto supports but still looks worth for the price.
These ATG is fiber glass. A bit heavier and less resistant.

How did you do to assembly it without the 30mm screws?

Show us some pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone76 View Post
i think the screws are missing in most of the early kits made. i think they recognized and fixed already, today in my morning (i'm from europe) i contacted GLB, they said they already sent the missing screws 2 days ago. I think they did for all the kits sold. I like this frame, it can be a good deal for those wanting to use the included legs. Just maybe better to wait a little, to be sure to buy a later production kit.
Simone, I too hope GLB really sent me all that is missing and Tarot have fixed this up, but I found the missing screws and clamp at Moonhobby and ordered some by EMS, just in case. Hopefully I receive them in early January, much before GLB replacements.

Have everyone that received kits with missing parts bought it at Goodluckbuy? If so they may have had a bad batch!
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
These ATG is fiber glass. A bit heavier and less resistant.

How did you do to assembly it without the 30mm screws?

Show us some pictures!

Simone, I too hope GLB really sent me all that is missing and Tarot have fixed this up, but I found the missing screws and clamp at Moonhobby and ordered some by EMS, just in case. Hopefully I receive them in early January, much before GLB replacements.

Have everyone that received kits with missing parts bought it at Goodluckbuy? If so they may have had a bad batch!
i am at here say sorry ,Because of the urgent reminder of the first batch of goods wholesalers around the time of the screws in the packaging error, the next time will not updating.
zhangdanchen is offline Find More Posts by zhangdanchen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

I received my frame from GLB a couple of weeks ago. I did not get the M2.5x30 screws either. I did order with the frame a couple of spare metal clamps that came with the correct M2.5x30 length bolts. I therefore decided to convert the frame to a Y6. I was going to set it up in the conventional hex configuration so I had something to compare the flight characteristics when I eventually converted it to Y6.

It was a pretty straight forward conversion. I was still short of 30mm bolts to clamp the motor plates together so I drilled the clamps out to M3 as they were easily sourced. I have rotated the frame 90 degrees so the two front arms will fold forward. I had to drill new holes for the landing gear, they still need a bit of work as i have only attached them to the bottom plate and it is not really stiff enough.

I test flew it tonight. I have the new YS-X4 flight controller and still have a bit of tuning to do on it. I was pretty pleased with how it flew all the same.

This frame is definitely more rigid that the DJI F550 I have.

Seymour
sey2washy is offline Find More Posts by sey2washy
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:36 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Terslev
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sey2washy View Post
I therefore decided to convert the frame to a Y6.
Super cool.
A couple of questions comes up

How many additional spare parts are needed to do the conversion?
How did you mount the bottom motors?
How does it fly compared to the hexa?

And last, but not least, what was your main reason for the conversion?

Thanks in advance

Peter
PS: Nice to see that the Christmas presents are ready already.
psindrup is offline Find More Posts by psindrup
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psindrup View Post
How many additional spare parts are needed to do the conversion?
How did you mount the bottom motors?

Yea can you take a few more pictures of the conversion?

I totally prefer the flying characteristics of a Y6, and I will be building one of these in the next few weeks.

To me a Y6 is so much better for stably descending and handling wind.

I have a 600 sized y6 now on a HF board and it is rock solid.

Also orientation is really not a problem with a Y6 which is nice as well!
Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:40 AM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Very nice say2washy! Curious to see your reports on test flight.
Are those 2216 you have there with Graupners and HK escs?
Had a Y6 project with F550 frame but didn't work well as it was too flexible. This is the reason I'm going for FY680. And also because I can use bigger props if decide to stay in hexa flat.
My experience with Y6 flights is that they are more stable for AV work. Just not so fun to pilot as it doesn't make so smooth round curves.
But my Naza had vibrations with either configuration when descending fast. But maybe some more work with the gains can help on that.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Terslev
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
I totally prefer the flying characteristics of a Y6, and I will be building one of these in the next few weeks.

To me a Y6 is so much better for stably descending and handling wind.

I have a 600 sized y6 now on a HF board and it is rock solid.

Also orientation is really not a problem with a Y6 which is nice as well!
Now, this thread is getting very interesting!

I have a few more questions.

If you are converting a flat hexa to a Y-6 on the same base frame, will you be able to use the same motors and propellers?

One of my primary reasons for a conversion would be better "view" from the camera, with more space between the arms.

I have heard that a Y-6 handles wind better, presumably because a flat hexa creates a "disk" and a Y has less "surface" for the wind to touch.

Can you set up a Naza to control a Y-6 "right out of the box" or do you have to fiddle with the set up yourself?

Peter
psindrup is offline Find More Posts by psindrup
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2012
150 Posts
From my read up here the forum, converting from flat hexa to y6 gives you better stability but losing 40% of flight time... You have to make the choice according to your priority..
sgg05158 is offline Find More Posts by sgg05158
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Yea flight time is a bit smaller but I'm not sure 40% is correct. The same motors and props can be used.
You are just making 3 counter rotating pods instead of 6 single arms.

Another cool thing about a Y6 is that if you throw a prop, you are more than likely going to be able to land with no issues, it's almost like having redundancy!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Some more pics for you.

You don't need any extra parts to convert to the Y6 except for some 30mm bolts to clamp the two halves of the motor mounts together. As M2.5 are pretty much impossible to source (at least they are in New Zealand) M3 is the next best option. As you can see from the photo you just need the top half of each motor mount clamp and put one on top and the other on the bottom.

I converted it to a Y because I intend to do some AV work with it and from all the research I have done as people have all mentioned a Y is supposed to be more stable in the wind and it is much easier for orientation than your standard hex. Another reason is they say you can still fly the Y6 with one motor our. I had one of the crappy DJI 10" props break on the F550 and it didn't really want to fly after that happened

The motors are the Sunnysky 2216 800kv motors with graupner 10" props. I am hoping the motors will handle lifting a Sony Nex 5N camera and gimbal. They handled it ok on the F550 but with the loss of efficiency in the Y6 format I'm hoping they can handle it still. I have some Zinger 11x5 and 11x4 props on their way to try also. I have the abusemark esc's flashed with the simon k firmware.

I have been following the Askman/Goodrem gimbal thread and they have a nice Y6 platform and gimbal so most of my ideas have come from them.

There aren't many presents under the tree, most of them have been opened and are shown in the photos.

Seymour
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
I think you will be fine.
The Y6 config is awesome.

This is my current Y6, and with the (2) 4000mHa batts (3 cell) it weighs a ton and I still can get 12 min flights out of it. And it has POWER. I can change the gear out for a gimbal mount for the cam and it won't effect the rig at all just a few seconds off of the flight time.

In wind it's SUPER stable. I'm using a Hoverfly Sport in this one, but I have a few HoverFly Pro boards and I may change this one out eventually to control the 2 axis gimbal. I bought this rig on a whim to try a Y6 rig, and I may never go back to hex... they are really that good in wind and descents. I mean you get NO wobbly effect when coming down at all. It's awesome.

I am pretty sure I'll make my Tarot into a Y6 as well.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Thanks for the pics BTW. That helped me make up my mind!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
I think you will be fine.
The Y6 config is awesome.

This is my current Y6, and with the (2) 4000mHa batts (3 cell) it weighs a ton and I still can get 12 min flights out of it. And it has POWER. I can change the gear out for a gimbal mount for the cam and it won't effect the rig at all just a few seconds off of the flight time.

In wind it's SUPER stable. I'm using a Hoverfly Sport in this one, but I have a few HoverFly Pro boards and I may change this one out eventually to control the 2 axis gimbal. I bought this rig on a whim to try a Y6 rig, and I may never go back to hex... they are really that good in wind and descents. I mean you get NO wobbly effect when coming down at all. It's awesome.

I am pretty sure I'll make my Tarot into a Y6 as well.
Looking good. Do you get some nice footage with the GoPro 3? I got my GoPro last week but have been busy building so haven't had a go with it yet.

12mins is a good flight time. I was only getting about 6mins with my 5200 4s pack with all camera gear on it. Are you running different pitch props on your y6?

Seymour
Last edited by sey2washy; Dec 20, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Right now no different props/ I'm at 1045 on all.

But I have been reading about the different pitches on top and bottomn. When I can find some cheap decent props I'll try it.,

GoPro 3 is really nice. No complaints. I have the Silver edition, so it's basically just a smaller Hero 2, but I do like the flat lens of the protective case.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sey2washy View Post
Hi Guys,

I received my frame from GLB a couple of weeks ago. I did not get the M2.5x30 screws either. I did order with the frame a couple of spare metal clamps that came with the correct M2.5x30 length bolts. I therefore decided to convert the frame to a Y6. I was going to set it up in the conventional hex configuration so I had something to compare the flight characteristics when I eventually converted it to Y6.

It was a pretty straight forward conversion. I was still short of 30mm bolts to clamp the motor plates together so I drilled the clamps out to M3 as they were easily sourced. I have rotated the frame 90 degrees so the two front arms will fold forward. I had to drill new holes for the landing gear, they still need a bit of work as i have only attached them to the bottom plate and it is not really stiff enough.

I test flew it tonight. I have the new YS-X4 flight controller and still have a bit of tuning to do on it. I was pretty pleased with how it flew all the same.

This frame is definitely more rigid that the DJI F550 I have.

Seymour
you this is fy680 Adapted
zhangdanchen is offline Find More Posts by zhangdanchen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)