HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:45 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Discussion
Putting the Anylink Inside!

Sacrilege! How dare you open up an Anylink! Yeah, I dare. I 've been eyeing this thing ever since I started buying and installing these FrSky 2.4 modules. I began to realize the principle is the same: tie in to the trainer plug with three wires. I just couldn't abide this big bulky enclosure sticking on the back of my radio. It's made for the average DIY adverse r/c'er.

I looked around on line to see if anyone had done what I'd been pondering, and alas, I'm to be the innovator here. So here's the internal mounting of an Anylink 2.4ghz module. The only concern I have will be restoring the antenna connection. Let's be clear here: even with another antenna cable, the range will still be 1000 feet, and this is somewhat messin' with the cosmic order of things over at Hobbico. You're also voiding the warranty, but if you're an RC geek , this shouldn't bother you. I'm just conductiing this experiment to see if it could be done.

Makes total sense to make one of these available to put inside a transmitter like our Chinese overlords have done. Put this puppy in some shrink tube, stick it on the inside with servo tape and tie in to the trainer plug or the board. I'll let ya know how it all works out.
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
Last edited by RWalker; Dec 01, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Here's how to use a servo lead
Last edited by RWalker; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
I tried to salvage as much antenna cable that I could from the original plastic antenna and reattached it to the board. If you're following along, just remove the cable from the board. Cut through the antenna enclosure and cut off the cable. It will be replaced with an RP SMA antenna pig tail.
Last edited by RWalker; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
I removed the square LED indicator lamp and replaced it with a 5mm 2.5 volt LED with extension wires to mount it on the transmitter case. Did a function check and it works!
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 25, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
I did a test run with my current Conquest hack project that is on hold for a FrSky module. Even though the antenna is still in work, I got a good bind from the Tactic receiver.
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
If I were to install it in the Conquest, this is where I'd place it, anywhere on the back of the case above the trainer plug. You can also solder a servo lead to the black (gnd) red (power) and blue (ppm) wires of the trainer plug and pick up connections to the Anylink from there. In this case, I picked it up from the board trainer ports. I'd also drill a 5mm hole for the LED in the top of the back case half. Now I'm on hold for an SMA connector to join up the new antenna.
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Check out this AnyLink inside

Over the last year I too have been converting older 72MHz radios of Futaba, Airtronics and JR to 2.4Ghz, in various hack modules either from FrSky or in the case of Airtronics even their own 2.4GHz RF modules.

In another vane, I picked up a Spektrum DM9 module to update some JR 72MHz module Transmitters (XP783) to DMS2. I discovered that Horizon sells the case for the DM9 module without the RF board to allow people who bought an older cumbersome Spektrum module that they first produced for JR module transmitters.

Like you, I wondered how a AnyLink RF module board would fit into the DM9 case. Well, fit it does. With the antenna included in the DM9 case, you don't need the AnyLink antenna or coax lead at all. For the plug connector I used an old LiPo battery balance plug and soldered the wires to the appropriate pins on the AnyLink board. And the DM9 case is translucent so the LED on the AnyLink board stays put and the beeper on the AnyLink board is easily heard through the DM9 case.

I have been using my AnyLink "JR Module" now for a couple of months to fly the Flyzone micros that Hobbico sells. No silly cables to connect to the trainer jack and charging jack on my JR XP783.

I even stuck a FrSky V8HT hack module in a DM9 case because I like how the antenna arrangement is done on the DM9 case better than the JR module that FrSky itself makes for JR transmitters.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Hey that's great! How's the range with the new antenna, and how did you attach the cable? Edit-never mind,
I see it in the middle photo
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWalker View Post
I did a test run with my current Challenger hack project that is on hold for a FrSky module. Even though the antenna is still in work, I got a good bind from the Tactic receiver.
Warning! Never operate the module without a proper antenna as it will overheat and may burn out.

EDIT: Should also have said thank you for this interesting and helpful discussion.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,818 Posts
+1 on that with 2.4 Ghz RF boards, Spektrum has strong warning about that:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=12
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Point taken gents. I dug up an old WiFi media device I had and scavenged the pig tail and antenna off of it. With the pigtail attached, I'm ready to put this in a radio.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Coax connection to AnyLink board

I initially considered trying to put a micro coax jack onto the AnyLink board where they had soldered the pigtail for the antenna. The Spektrum DM9 module comes with a micro connector on the end of its pigtail.

I found as source at:
http://www.newark.com/hrs-hirose/u-f...-50/dp/50P8856

But these jacks are surface mount which I have no experience or soldering equipment to do that kind of work so I went with carefully soldering the much smaller DM9 coax pigtail onto the AnyLink. Added a gob of hot glue for strain relief.

My hybrid module has every bit as good range as the original AnyLink package did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
The Conquest!

I decided to install it in one of two Conquest radios I got off ebay. The Anylink module's low profile is perfect for mounting on the back of the Tx case. I drilled the hole as planned for the LED ; a press fit works just fine. Everything fit just fine, make sure the wires clear the battery case and the PCB. Once assembled, it looks like it was made for 2.4ghz. Ground and air tests will follow.
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Nice fit in the Conquest. How audible is the beeper on the AnyLink board when its inside the transmitter case?

Think you'll soon want to progress to a multiple model memory transmitter. An economical choice would be something like the JR XP652 which can be had for under $50. Since the AnyLink can switch the JR channel sequence to that of a Futaba, all the Hobbico Flyzone micros are in play for that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWalker View Post
I decided to install it in one of two Challengers I got off ebay. The Anylink module's low profile is perfect for mounting on the back of the Tx case. I drilled the hole as planned for the LED ; a press fit works just fine. Everything fit just fine, make sure the wires clear the battery case and the PCB. Once assembled, it looks like it was made for 2.4ghz. Ground and air tests will follow.
Neatly done!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66