Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:49 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion servo's.. too good to be true?

Hi Guys,

I started this thread in the EDF section searching for a good wing servo. I thought I would come here and ask the experts. Lot's of good suggestions until the Hyperions entered the picture. The performance vs price seems too good to be true. I'm looking at these in particular...

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-11...l-Servo/Detail

Cheaper than the Hitec 5425's and twice the torque. I couldn't find anything else in this size that even comes close. I was about to pull the trigger on my tried and trusted JR3421's, but twice the power at 1/3 the cost seems worth looking into. I'm thinking like everything else you get what you pay for.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Ben
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,166 Posts
I got 2 of these a while back after reading the specs but decided not to use them. Can't remember for certain what the reason was but when I'm in front of my notes, I'll post it here. I seem to remember them coming well short of the spec'd torque and really slow speeds but I'll confirm ASAP. Probably the old dynamic torque vs holding torque discrepancy.

I ended up preferring the Airtronics 94820 even though its really slow too. If you have room for the slightly thicker Hitec HS7245mg, I'd use it on 2s Lipo or Life.

The market seems ripe for a good tight, torquey, and fast mini servo...
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914 View Post
I got 2 of these a while back after reading the specs but decided not to use them. Can't remember for certain what the reason was but when I'm in front of my notes, I'll post it here. I seem to remember them coming well short of the spec'd torque and really slow speeds but I'll confirm ASAP. Probably the old dynamic torque vs holding torque discrepancy.

I ended up preferring the Airtronics 94820 even though its really slow too. If you have room for the slightly thicker Hitec HS7245mg, I'd use it on 2s Lipo or Life.

The market seems ripe for a good tight, torquey, and fast mini servo...
Would love to hear what you found out. The specs on this servo are just unreal.

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,166 Posts
Found my notes and i measured only 70oz-in of torque. Using the same 5cell nimh, i got 78.5 and 99.9 oz-in from the 3421 and 94820 respectively. Hope that helps.
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914 View Post
Found my notes and i measured only 70oz-in of torque. Using the same 5cell nimh, i got 78.5 and 99.9 oz-in from the 3421 and 94820 respectively. Hope that helps.
Thank you so much. So their specs are actually half of what is claimed. Makes more sense than it being some kind of super servo.
RCG Plus Member